RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Just bought a Hyper 7 :) !! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/11276589-just-bought-hyper-7-a.html)

tyhatts 10-26-2012 06:47 AM

Just bought a Hyper 7 :) !!

Hey everyone

Came across one of those "cant pass up" deals last night

I was cruising kijiji and came across an add for a OFNA Hyper 7 ... It looked pretty clean from the add... It stated they only ran it 3-4 times

Turns out a guys gf wanted to get into the hobby , so they bought her this truck and she lost interest pretty quick...... their loss, my gain ! :)))))))

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2132.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2137.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2136.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2138.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2139.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_2135.jpg

It came with half a gallon of fuel, filler bottle, extra pull start and a JR XR2i radio
I would say I got a pretty good deal on the buggy.... engine had lots of compression, fired right up. The chassis and wing didnt even have a scratch on them. .... What do you think a fair price would have been for this package ?

NOW..... what are the first hop-ups I should do ? Im thinking servos.

<br type="_moz" />

Anthoop 10-26-2012 08:13 AM

RE: Just bought a Hyper 7 :) !!

I am in the UK so will not guess at a price. ;)
It does look very clean though, nice and fresh and a lot cheaper than new (hopefully).

Yes the servos are not great. I use Hitec servos and have a HS-965MG for steering and a HS-625MG for throttle/brake...but there are many different choices of course...and depending on your budget you can just replace the steering servo.
Some form of failsafe and a 6V rechargable pack are also "standard" upgrades.
Other than that upgrades will really be down to you, the Hyper7 has many variants and upgrades available. There are no weak parts to speak of (although I hear someone shouting "cast front knuckles") and if you break something then look to upgrade the part.

Ttowntoolman 10-26-2012 08:41 AM

Nice! That looks brand new, they go for 300 new around my parts of the rock.

tyhatts 10-26-2012 09:48 AM

I noticed this morning while I was admiring it.... the left rear shock is leaking oil. <div>
</div><div>Perhaps a shock upgrade </div>

HerrSavage 10-26-2012 10:29 AM

Servos are the first thing I would upgrade, at least on steering.. Savox 1258 (speed) or 1256 (torque) maybe.. The Hobbico or Tower Hitec 5955 rebrand would be ideal, but a bit pricier..

Anthoop 10-26-2012 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: tyhatts

I noticed this morning while I was admiring it.... the left rear shock is leaking oil. <div>
</div><div>Perhaps a shock upgrade </div>
The shocks are fine, if there is a leak then replace the seal....

tyhatts 11-01-2012 07:49 AM

I have noticed the steering seems to be very sloppy.... or loose I guess you can call it... all links are tights, and nothing seems to be broken ? How do you tighten this us ? anyone run into the ame problem ?

Ttowntoolman 11-01-2012 08:46 AM

Follow the arm from the steering servo to the sevo saver, there is a thumb nut you can tighten on the underside of the servo saver. Tighten this against the spring and should take out the slop. Did you replace the stock servo, not all the way up to the task....

FahrtAutoRC 11-01-2012 08:55 AM

I'm just shocked that someone mentioned Hyper 7 and John hasn't jumped in yet :p<div>
</div><div>Nice lookin buggy!</div>

tyhatts 11-01-2012 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

Follow the arm from the steering servo to the sevo saver, there is a thumb nut you can tighten on the underside of the servo saver. Tighten this against the spring and should take out the slop. Did you replace the stock servo, not all the way up to the task....
I will do that when I get home :) Thanks !

I have yet to replace the steering servo, I have heard that is the first thing to replace. Whats a good servo for the job ? (budget based of course)

I was thinking for the sake of it being water proof... the 2075 traxxas servo ?
<br type="_moz" />

tyhatts 11-01-2012 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I'm just shocked that someone mentioned Hyper 7 and John hasn't jumped in yet :p<div></div><div>Nice lookin buggy!</div>
Thanks !!!

I FINALLY had a chacne to get it outside and fire it up to tune it a bit. With the rain and wind from the storm and what not the last week, Its sat on the wall... being stared at ! haha

It ran GREAT.... tuned well too. Im not the best at tuning but I think I did a pretty good job
<br type="_moz" />

Ttowntoolman 11-01-2012 09:28 AM

I usually get the hitec 645 MG servos from tower around 30-40 bucks work good for the price.

Anthoop 11-02-2012 03:28 AM

I'm just shocked that someone mentioned Hyper 7 and John hasn't jumped in yet :p
Ah, no doubt he will chime in soon. :D

I have yet to replace the steering servo, I have heard that is the first thing to replace. Whats a good servo for the job ? (budget based of course)
Personally I would use a Hitec servo, basically because I have never had a problem with Hitec and they have a suitable servo to fit any budget/performance needs.
The HS-645MG is a popular choice, not very fast but it has plenty of power and is fairly cheap.
No doubt there are other brands that maybe cheaper/faster/more powerful.

JohnP2 11-04-2012 11:53 AM

I'm just shocked that someone mentioned Hyper 7 and John hasn't jumped in yet :p<div>
</div><div>Nice lookin buggy!</div>
Yea, I'm slacking. ;-) I actually like the tip regarding the thumb nut under the steering servo. Just checked mine and it was a bit loose, so will be curious if I see any sort of a difference.

jonrocat 11-04-2012 01:10 PM

You got a great engine with your hyper 7.

My first buggy and nitro engine was a hyper 8 rtr with the same engine and taking into account that i was a complete beginner and had no experience with nitro i got the engine to run great, it never missed a beat till i sold it.

FahrtAutoRC 11-04-2012 05:21 PM

I will say I've never owned this buggy but looking at how the few fanboys around can't shut up about em, it must be something special

tyhatts 11-05-2012 05:25 AM

Well I BROKE my steering servo this weekend haha I guess the servo saver couldnt save it this time. <div>
</div><div>I cant get over the performance of this RC.... Im already looking at another.... and for the price they can be bought.. its pretty cheap fun. </div><div>
</div><div>Where can I buy the Hyper SS ? </div>

Anthoop 11-05-2012 10:04 AM

I will say I've never owned this buggy but looking at how the few fanboys around can't shut up about em, it must be something special
Pfff...fanboys. :);)
I guarantee you would be the same if you had owned one.

JohnP2 11-05-2012 07:10 PM

<div>Where can I buy the Hyper SS ?</div>
Good question. I looked and it seems difficult to find. Even the sites that do have them in-stock (it's a different picture) but the part number(14327) is correct. A little concerning as OFNA/Hobao/HPI/Horizon &lt;insert more confusion here&gt; are not doing a good job of marketing it. Unsure if they are just holding out....or have given up on it.

tyhatts 11-06-2012 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

<div>Where can I buy the Hyper SS ?</div>
Good question. I looked and it seems difficult to find. Even the sites that do have them in-stock (it's a different picture) but the part number(14327) is correct. A little concerning as OFNA/Hobao/HPI/Horizon <insert more="" confusion="" here=""> are not doing a good job of marketing it. Unsure if they are just holding out....or have given up on it.
They are all over ebay..... coming out of Taiwan ? $449 ..... Im sort of confused as to what Im suppose to look up... I think I figured it out with by searching Hobao, you seem to get a lot more results that way.

I might have to grab one as a Christmas gift to self.... and retire my current one to a beater / The girlfriends car.
<br type="_moz" /></insert>

FahrtAutoRC 11-06-2012 12:08 PM

And I may never have one lol I'm thinking my next 1/8 will be a truggy, possibly an XRAY or Mugen? I LOVE my 8ight, I've driven several makes in the past and this is the one that gives me the most smiles and has the easiest time getting around a track ;)

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Pfff...fanboys. :);)
I guarantee you would be the same if you had owned one.

JohnP2 11-06-2012 09:09 PM

$449 seems a bit high for the SS. I bought my Hyper 7 new for like $280...and don't see that much in upgrades.

Seriously the "following" for Hyper 7's is mostly due to its price point, which in turn affects how many people have them. It's just one of those "can't miss" vehicles for folks much like myself (still fairly new to the hobby) and want a solid car thatmeets most newbies' demands - fast, durable, easy to work on, loads of parts, etc.

This, versus an ExceedForza, which is a little hard to puff out your chest about, even thought it's another popular newbie car.The difference is amazing (and I own both).

With all that said....my favorite vehicle is still my beloved Losi 810,But, Iwould recommend the Hyper 7 to anyone (savvy vets or spares just like myself). Ha!

Congrats again! Post some vids of itabusing the trackif youcan!</p>

mattster1971 11-08-2012 08:56 AM

I just bought a hyper 7 used but mine wasn't in such great shape. Yours looked really brand new. Mine was filthy, I am in the process of breaking it down and cleaning it up. The engine was replaced with a dynamite. 21, I got a new axial spec 1 .28 I may slide in instead. This thing was obviously run hard but I ordered the necessary parts to fix what's broke and I will be working on that this weekend. Anyone have any experience with the axial engine? I am replacing the rear a arms, the front shock tower and plastic parts on the shocks, the side guards, front bumper and one of the a arm pins was snapped off at the c clip. I got it in a two vehicle purchase with an associated MGT which neededs some minor fixing.

tyhatts 11-08-2012 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

I just bought a hyper 7 used but mine wasn't in such great shape. Yours looked really brand new. Mine was filthy, I am in the process of breaking it down and cleaning it up. The engine was replaced with a dynamite. 21, I got a new axial spec 1 .28 I may slide in instead. This thing was obviously run hard but I ordered the necessary parts to fix what's broke and I will be working on that this weekend. Anyone have any experience with the axial engine? I am replacing the rear a arms, the front shock tower and plastic parts on the shocks, the side guards, front bumper and one of the a arm pins was snapped off at the c clip. I got it in a two vehicle purchase with an associated MGT which neededs some minor fixing.
Aside from them breaking in the engine... it was ran 2-3 times on road. He bought it for his girlfriend as he had an on road car that she liked and she needed one for herself

The two times it has been out with me, it has probably saw more run time then the whole break in period and time she ran it. I have never owned anything else then a T-maxx. This buggy is a BLAST to drive. I actually have been dreaming about this weekend hahahah I just installed a Futaba S-3305 ( I think thats the number ?? ) in the buggy. Everyone suggested the Hitec Servo, but the specs are the same and my local hobby shop carries the Futaba for the same price as it would cost to get a Hitec to my door.

<br type="_moz" />

losi motor man 11-08-2012 01:08 PM

Bravo on the new addition to your stable. I wish I would have found something like that. Craigslist here is Crapslist. NOthing ever any good. Anyone here that says its only run rarely they are lying thru their teeth. It usually means I ran the piss out of it and bought a few new parts and cleaned the whole thing to fool you.

FahrtAutoRC 11-08-2012 02:04 PM

A 'Bula guy eh? Welcome! I agree, the CL here in Akron too is full of garbage and used Traxxas'

ORIGINAL: losi motor man

Bravo on the new addition to your stable. I wish I would have found something like that. Craigslist here is Crapslist. NOthing ever any good. Anyone here that says its only run rarely they are lying thru their teeth. It usually means I ran the piss out of it and bought a few new parts and cleaned the whole thing to fool you.

losi motor man 11-14-2012 05:19 AM

definatelya an extremely awesome score on that one buddy. I wish I could get a score like that. Off I go to look at Craigslist for more rc deals.