RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   What's the Kyosho difference? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/2370135-whats-kyosho-difference.html)

NJRC 11-23-2004 06:24 PM

What's the Kyosho difference?

I have been searching around and even looked at Kyosho website which was not too informative in regards to the difference between buggy models. I am looking around to purchase a used kyosho and photos all look the same to me other than a few different descritions about the buggy itself.
Basically, what is the difference between someone stating they have forsale a "Inferno MP 7.5" or saying they have a "MP 7.5 Kanai" ??
Is a "MP 7.5 Kanai" basically a "Inferno MP 7.5"
I kinda would believe that a K2 or K3 is a more hopped up version but what exactly is the first Kanai version?
I would rather stay away from the RTR "Inferno MP 7.5 Sport" unless this is basically a version one Kanai??

Is a standard MP777 similar as a Kanai but with a new name to it?

thanks for the help as I hope to find a decent good Kyosho buggy without any disappointments due to confusion.

viper463 11-23-2004 06:30 PM

RE: What's the Kyosho difference?

Ok it's simple really. MP7.5 is the base model, then hop up some and you have a Kanai 1. Do some more hop ups and refining and you have a K2 more refining and you have a k3 then you have the top of the kyosho line the most refined to date the 777 special 1. There are differences between each buggy and yes they are noticable. The question you should ask yourself is how close to the top of the line do you want to go. The base 7.5 is ok to play around with but I would not recomend it if you could get a better model. There are to many upgrades to the other kits that make them far better.

maxmod 11-23-2004 07:17 PM

the 7.5 is a great kit it is equally as competeive as the k2 and k3 at club level. the options will increase ur speed and ur reliablity slightly by slightly i mean 1-2 secs. if lucky. ohnestly having a sp1 and kanai 2 at club level there won't really be any difference in buggys. it is all down to the driver.

NJRC 11-23-2004 07:50 PM

some people say to stay away from the MP7.5 Sport version since it does not even compare to a MP 7.5
Why is that? Is a Sport version just not dependable for durability and handling for a beginner racer? Is the Sport version basically a MP.7.5 but in RTR form? If it is basically the same, then people are pretty much saying to stay away from a base model MP7.5
I don't have lots of money to buy a completely hopped up kit since I am really new to racing and I like to explore my options for hop up parts, quality and price.

maxmod 11-23-2004 07:55 PM

no the sport is basicly a different buggy the parts are weak alot aren't tradable with the 7.5 the shocks are pathetic and it isn't any where near as reliable and durable. the sport is a buggy to stay away from but the 7.5 kit is awesome. the mp777 for some reason it isn't as good quality as its counter parts they also say you should avoid that the k2 and k3 are better buggys than the 777 standard but the sp1 is awesome. just durability differences and setup options the 777 not sp1 is a good buggy but no where near as good as the sp1 it would cost more than it is worth to get it up to top notch race standard.

just thought i would add this in wooohoooo this is my 1000 post

zzman 11-24-2004 08:20 AM

you will save a lot of $$ if you get the K3 . there is hardly a diff. im sorry but i have the 7.5 w/k upgrades on it and it rips. and a lot of hyper parts work on it and they are way cheaper.
honestly i think kyosho is way over rated(i know this will stirr up some replys) there parts are not any better than any other buggys. they just cost like heck. the hyper 7 is a great starter bug and will win some races. dont feed in to the hipe just stick w/ the k3 its just as good as the others and is way cheaper. in this hobby you dont have to spend a lot of cash to be good you just have to practice and become good. at our track a guy has a hyper and he wins almost every time. he just won our point series and didnt spend all his money doing it !

Chex 11-24-2004 08:36 AM

these are the MP7.5 variants, btw all of them are 'inferno', your 1st post implied differences between mp7.5 and inferno mp7.5:

MP7.5 sports kit - not so good, quite cheap quality, but cheap to buy too
MP7.5 sports RTR - cheap so I cant complain, and great starting point, but still weaker than its rivals
MP7.5 kanai - the first of the competition variants
MP7.5 kanai 2 - the second of the variants with revised steering geometry and a few strengthening changes
MP7.5 kanai 3 - the 3rd competition level variant - significant weight saving, revised steering and suspension geometry, quite easy to convert a k2 into a k3

then you get the new 777

MP777 standard - basically the same as the sp1 but comes with less option parts, less tuning parts, cheap shock absorbers
MP777 sp1 - the full monty, everything you need to race and not break easily, bulletproof and super competitive.

as far as Kyosho being overrated - thats like saying Brazil's football team i s overrated, in the end only results matter, and the kyoshos have 6 world championships under their belt. Anyway, after losing the last world chamionship (to engine problems) the kyosho parts and cars are a lot cheaper. search for mugen mbx5 and then kanai on e*ay and see the price difference. IMHO every Inferno from the kanai 1 is better than the MBx5, and I used to hate kyosho, I had an MBX5 till I got a cheap k2 and saw how much better it is.

NJRC 11-24-2004 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for clearing that whole break down of Kyosho's. It basically made me understand what I may be looking for.
I spoke to a seller on e*ay and asked him about his Kyosho.....i asked him, "Is this a Kyosho MP 7.5 Kanai edition – K1 , K2 or K3" and his reply was.......It not specifically a K anything, it is probable closest to a K2 with the upgrades I added.
But this photo of it looks like all the other Inferno's?

Tucker01 11-24-2004 07:52 PM

Chex, you missed out one variant, the stock MP-7.5.

Poopy 11-24-2004 08:19 PM

NJRC, I don't know what version that is, but it is definitely not a stock Inferno MP 7.5. It has many upgrades such as springs, front sway bar, heavy braces, graphite servo tray, etc.

maxmod 11-24-2004 09:56 PM

Chex the whole reason why the 7.5 sports rtr is not worth it is because it is actually quite exspensive for what you are getting.

Chex 11-25-2004 07:59 AM

it costs £270 here, which I think is alright, it may be expensive in Oz, but thats coz its in the middle of nowhere and there isnt a big market.

NJRC 12-05-2004 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I just got this Kyosho and still not sure what verion it may be so here are some pics for someone to maybe tell me what version I may have whether it be a base model or a Kanai I or II or maybe even a III if possible?

NJRC 12-05-2004 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more photos to help identify this Kyosho model

manilaheli 12-05-2004 11:23 PM

Looks like a K2.... it has dual front disc brakes.

NJRC 12-05-2004 11:39 PM

kamusta kayo.....manilaheli

it has also universals all around as I was told that the K2 has universals all around. It was also hopped up with a few Hardcore Racing parts so I wasn't sure if it started out as one version and then later ended up a Kanai whatchamacallit.

sh0wtime 12-06-2004 02:06 AM

it looks more like a Hopped up Kanai 1 to me!

check it- 3mm shocks, 17 degree front end, no flashy ariel tube holder!
the shocks & front end are the 2 expensive areas to change when upgrading either the kanai1 or the standard 7.5 kit!
i'm going to say kanai1 as it has the alloy wing stay braces, the alloy radio tray posts, all 6 universal shafts, 4 disc brakes, hardened front shock tower etc
i can't tell if the rear's hardened too from those pictures! looks like it is!

the front plates on both the front & rear gearboxes look like the sport versions[:'(]

either way you got a buggy that should handle anything you can throw at it & should be a good racer:D

manilaheli 12-06-2004 02:12 AM

mabuti naman (I'm fine) NJRC,

Nice to see a fellow countrymen on the board.

If you're ever in town, we have the best INDOOR 1/8 offroad track in ASIA. It's open year round and we practice even at night.

Looks like showtime's right... the K2 had 3.5mm shocks.

Indeed it does more and more look like a K1 (or 7.5 basic inferno) hopped up to the Wazoo. Either way, it's gonna be a good ride.

NJRC 12-06-2004 08:26 AM

I did not know that the K1 came with universals all around. Someone mentioned that only the K2 came with unis all around and double disk brakes.

I am gonna eliminate the base MP7.5 kit and RTR Sport off the list as from the pics on Kyosho's website show that the MP7.5 has gold color shock towers. I am also gonna eliminate it being a K3 as the chassis is not milled out.

Now for the shock shafts, after measuring with a mic they seem to be very close to 3.5mm shafts. Now my pics can be confusing as goes for the same as the pics on Kyosho website since all the shocks look identical on all the models. My shock towers look more of the K2's towers. Also from the spare parts that was included in the bag of extras that was given to me, there were a set of 20 and 22 degree hub carriers that were never installed or were swapped at one time by the original owner.

sh0wtime 12-06-2004 01:07 PM

you have the caps off the 3mm shafted shocks on your car, thats what leads me to believe its a hopped up Kanai Mk1;)

its got the right bits in the right places so don't worry:D

NJRC 12-06-2004 02:33 PM

does someone have a pic of the 3.5mm shock caps or complete pic of shocks so I know the difference between the 3.0 and 3.5mm shocks by just looking at them.

sh0wtime 12-06-2004 04:16 PM

the 3.5mm shafted shocks have a larger volume topcap as the bigger shaft displaces more fluid & the larger cap gives the diaphragm more room to move ( and usually tear:eek:).

sorry. i looked through my computer in search of a pic i thought i had but can't find it[&o]

easiest way to tell them apart is that the 3mm shocks caps are chamfered down on the front & back (inline with the mounting hole) whereas the 3.5mm caps are totally round at the top just under the mounting lug, once you see the difference you'll be able to tell at a glance;)