RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Official Hyper 8 Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/4001873-official-hyper-8-thread.html)

46u 07-27-2007 07:59 PM

RE: Official Hyper 8 Thread

Have to wonder why OS only uses ABL on their low-end engines and no other engine manufacture uses it! I have talked to many that have tried the ABL engines now let us know how yours is doing when you get 4 or 5 gallons on it. I just prefer ABC and most do. I do hope it works well for you. Good luck and have fun.

zJatoRad 07-27-2007 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I won the A-Main race with that engine @ my local track this past saturday, the attachment is the race results of that race. My name is Carlos F. Jr.

There were some Novarossi, RB and Picco P7R engines there. I'm very happy with the setup i'm running. I'm using 7-7-3 in the diff oil and works great @ my track.

46u 07-27-2007 08:24 PM

As long as you are happy is all that matters.

scdrj 07-29-2007 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: 46u
They have 2 different center diff braces one for the stock chassis and one for the FR2 chassis, which will be my next up grade.
Jeff,

Do you think the FR2 is worth the money? Not to mention you'll need the new brace setup???

The VG is a good motor (very nice bottom end), but those sleeves do not last. 3-5 Gallons and they are done.

BTW, thank you for your reply above:D

Regards,
Jeff G.

46u 07-29-2007 09:00 AM

I am not going to run out and buy a FR2 chassis but wait till the 8.5 hits the streets and people on ebay are parting them out. Over the past year I picked up 2 stock chassis shipped for about $50. I put one on just because the bottom of my stock one was so beat up after 8 plus gallons. I bid on many spare parts on ebay but only win a few as if I cannot get them real cheap I let them go. From everyone I have talked to they say the chassis makes an improvement on rough tracks. Most of the tracks I run on right now are pretty rough. When Kyosho went to the extended chassis most like it over the shorter chassis.

I just about have my Hyper 8 up dated to an 8.5 other then the chassis and 6 spider diffs. Do not really care about the 6 spider diffs but might try them if I can pick them up on ebay cheap one day. One thing I highly recommend is the up dated radio box.

Yes I have heard the OS VG runs real well but are not durable do to the ABL sleeve. I talked to many that have the VG 21 and 30. They use nickel instead of chrome like on ABC and we all know how well the old ABN held up. I do not think ABL is better I think OS went to it because it is cheaper to produce. The thing that up sets me about OS is when they quite making the RG which had a ABC sleeve came with an air filter to make the VG with ABL sleeve does not come with an air filter and jacked the price $40 to $60. Matter of fact I have an OS RG with about 5 other engines I have.

How about Robert Batlle winning the European Championship with his Hyper. Wish the Hyper was bigger here in the states as they are over seas.

scdrj 08-04-2007 02:51 AM

Well yeah, at some point, all you will be able to buy is the ext. version. I just do not buy that 0.079" added to both ends makes that much difference. You know the placebo effect is very real;)

I almost have mine and my son's H8 up to speed. We will run them on our off road. Our off road is a widow maker/life taker. A real parts seller's dream:eek: H8 stuff is way cheap! And it is built like a tank for the most part:D We also run dirt oval. He mounted a very successful campian last year with a XB8R. Never broke a part in 14 months of racing! Two races on the widow maker loosened every damn part on it! Wore out $140 of parts[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] It obviously does better on the euro style track. We are going to run a pair of XB8ECs on the oval this coming season.

I bought three XB8ECs. For me, my son, and a friend. The friend backed out when they arrived[sm=rolleyes.gif] I got them at dealers cost plus shipping. Now I'm stuck with an extra. If these things did not last for ever on the oval, I'd keep it for parts, but they are still a bit pricey even at cost!

H3lls yeah!!! How about the new EURO CHAMP[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

46u 08-05-2007 03:18 PM

Any one running Jammin big bore shocks on their Hyper 8? If so what brand springs did you use? I have blue Mugen on the back and they work fine. I have Mugen white on the front which are suppose to be stiffer then blue and I do not get good rebound or ride height even will all the preload the shocks have with the screw adjustment. [sm=confused.gif]

rabidsquirrel 08-07-2007 03:40 PM

46u,

I'm running the Big Bore Jammin' FTEs and using the Mugen Springs on 'em ~ per Rob Bender's recommendation (Nitrohouse).

Work great.

46u 08-07-2007 03:53 PM

Are you running the big bores or the standard Jammin shocks? This is what I am running.
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idproduct=964
I am starting to think maybe I just got a bad set? I have talked to many people and they say they have not had a problem with the Mugen springs. I am going to check it out better later this week.

46u 08-11-2007 02:31 PM

Some more pictures on the 8.5.
http://www.redrc.net/2007/07/hobao-h...cial-pictures/

FrankBlack 08-11-2007 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

Are you running the big bores or the standard Jammin shocks? This is what I am running.
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...?idproduct=964
I am starting to think maybe I just got a bad set? I have talked to many people and they say they have not had a problem with the Mugen springs. I am going to check it out better later this week.
What shock rod ends are you running 46u, the short or the long ones?

46u 08-11-2007 08:15 PM

Short but that is all that came with my fronts I believe. Now on the rear it came with both and I put the long ones on.

FrankBlack 08-11-2007 08:23 PM

True, i bought mine in australia packaged under the hong nor brand and i got these http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4525 with them. Im using the long ones all round.

This is GuNNeR from the ofna forum btw.

46u 08-11-2007 08:41 PM

OK it just donned on me that it would make the springs compress more! I was thinking the shock shafts are the same length no matter what end you run as the longer ends the shafts goes in farther but it would compress the spring more. With the Jammin springs I have order I all so have the plastic parts tree coming for the Jammin big bores so I can try the long ones. This is the first thing that makes sense. THANK YOU and is well worth a try!!!!!!!!! One other question do you have any problem on the front with the longer ends hitting the rubber that holds the felt wiper?

FrankBlack 08-11-2007 08:53 PM

I have never run them orange shock boots, i ordered them (the shocks) over the ph and the guy told me not to run them, he said they dont work very well and seem to trap dirt in rather than keep it out, a couple other racers ive talked to that use the jammin bb's have said the same, ive used water balloons from day one.

46u 08-12-2007 10:08 AM

I have only run the Jammin big bores for one race so far. 3, 5 minutes qualifying and one 15 minute main with about 3 tanks of practice and so far the boots and wipers seem to be working fine. I hate the long boots or water balloons but might end up have to use them but for now I am going to try the wipers. I figure the worse I can do is mess up a set of seal and shafts.
Thanks for the input as all ways I like to hear all pros and cons!

dabro15 08-12-2007 10:12 PM

What suspension set ups do you guys run concerning the toe-in, camber, and caster? I was just messing around with my settings on the rear suspension today trying to find a better set up over stock settings. I was just reading up on some suspension tuning tips, I found this site to be very helpful in understanding the effects of changing these settings: http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/r...on-tuning.html

I guess it mostly is personal preference but I was just curious how you all run your Hyper 8 buggies.

FrankBlack 08-12-2007 11:17 PM

I run -3 camber on the front and -3.5 on the back, -1 degree toe front and +2 on the back, 22 castor with 7 kickup and 1 antisquat.

46u 08-13-2007 12:24 AM

I have been trying different set ups and I think this is what I have now,

Front 1 degree toe out rear 3.5 degree toe in
Front 2 degree rear 3 degree chamber both negative
Caster 22.
If you go to Nitro House they have some set up sheets with what some team drivers are using.

This is a very good site as well if you down load the Xray manual has a lot of good information as well.
http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/

rEVOkING 08-28-2007 10:25 AM

will the hyper 7 PBS controll arms fit on the hyper 8 without mods ? can i convert the H8 to PBS >?

46u 08-28-2007 10:51 AM

Not sure but do not think so. I my self prefer C hub. I sure what a Hyper 8.5 just wish I could afford it. May be one day. :eek:

dabro15 08-29-2007 01:50 PM

What clutch do you run? The other day my stock Hyper 8 clutch pretty much blew up to say the least. I noticed that it wasnt running right at all cause it felt like something on the drive train was broken. I then discovered that my clutch completely went. 2 out of the 3 teflon shoes were torn up, 2 of the clutch springs snapped, and both of my clutchbell bearings are shot. The whole clutch had about 1 1/2 gallons on it and I dont know if that is the normal life of a stock clutch (probaly not). Now I figured out for myself why teflon clutch shoes suck. If they were alloy this wouldn't of happened cause metal doesn't get torn up. Can someone recommend a nice clutch setup for me to run? I dont really want to spend a lot of money on a Reckward or something like that. I was thinking on maybe getting the Dynamite aluminum shoes along with some new springs and bearings. For the clutchbell bearings, are the ceramic ones worth the extra money? Thanks

adz06 08-29-2007 02:04 PM

im currently using the hong nor (jammin) long life clutch shoes and ceramic bearings. i got really annoyed with the rubber shielded bearings always going on me then i tried the metal ones the lasted a bit longer but still only a little while. i currently have long life clutch shoes and springs ceramic bearings and k factory 13 tooth hardened and vented clutch bell and haven't had a problem bearings don't seem to have worn at all after almost 1 gallon which is the longest Ive ever ran one set of bearings for. most people i have been talking to chnage there bearings every 15 tanks.

46u 08-29-2007 04:30 PM

I still have the stock shoes that came with my Hyper 8 Pro kit and ran them for over 3 gallons with out a problem before changing. Still have them and are still in very run able shape. Now I either run STS or Nova aluminum shoes. I just run the rubber sealed $1 a piece or less bearings and have not had any go out yet but I do replace them about every gallon or so and for $1 or less a piece why not. The only thing I dislike about the aluminum shoe is the maintenance but they do grab well. After running my stock Hyper 13th CB for over 8 gallons I put a HPI Race vented hardened CB on it, as that is what I use on my Savage and HPI MT so I only have to keep one brand around.

rEVOkING 08-30-2007 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i finally got my Hyper 8 Pro 8.5. just got everything installed and all i can say is wow!!:D