RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   OS .21VG revisit and owners check in! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/6414418-os-21vg-revisit-owners-check.html)

jonnymac 01-16-2008 06:14 PM

RE: OS .21VG revisit and owners check in!

Just bumping this thread for the benefit of recent posters ;)

KyJoe340 01-16-2008 10:54 PM

I've have about 1/2 gallon thru my .21vg. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't want to hot start very well. Not much top end power but bottom and middle is ok. I've read thru the entire thread and nobody said they got 5 or 6 gallons on it, most say 2 then something happens.

ixsna 01-16-2008 10:58 PM

Geez maybe we should have tried the go-tech next time.

46u 01-16-2008 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: KyJoe340

I've have about 1/2 gallon thru my .21vg. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't want to hot start very well. Not much top end power but bottom and middle is ok. I've read thru the entire thread and nobody said they got 5 or 6 gallons on it, most say 2 then something happens.
I run with other racers that run the VG and I have yet found any one that has gotten more then 3 or maybe a little more before having to replace the piston and sleeve. Matter of fact one of my partners in the club just had to replace his after around 3 gallons. I believe this has to do with the fact the VG series run an ABL sleeve where most engines run ABC. Now there is one guy on this forum that claims to have over 6 gallons on his. But one good thing is the VG piston and sleeve is cheaper then most. I do not think ABL is better just cheaper to manufacture or a WHOLE lot of other engine manufactures would be using it. Just my opinion.

Re-Builder 01-17-2008 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say that this is a great starter motor. My son started racing in the 1/8 scale class last year and has a pretty good record with it. It gave him a chance to get used to the gas buggy as he raced 1/10 electrics for quite a few years. After competing in a larger race with about 70 in his class of sportsman drivers, he ended up with 24th overall. Now he is letting me start with the little VG and he has upgraded to the VZB. Not sure how much fuel we have used - 2 or 3 gallons - but O'Donnell 30% is what it likes to burn. It also runs great at 270 to 280 and has plenty of smoke. Can't get it to run much lower than that. Took it apart and looked at the inside and it looks brand new. I have had a lot of motors but have never seen one like this before.

If and when this motor gives up, it will have been worth every penny. My favorite part is watching it run 6 min. and having almost half a tank left.

My new buggy!!!! (it has the VG motor, but I changed the head):D

FoamyVictim 01-17-2008 11:45 AM

I'm the guy with over 6 gallons through my VG, and still running strong. Anyone can kill any motor with a boo boo in tuning. If I were to take seeing motors blow up track side as gospel, then I'd never buy a Rossi anything... sense those are the ones I always see fail. I'll run this one till it's toast, and report back with pics and an explanation...but that hasn't happened yet. ;) The one motor that let go on me, was a Top 3 port. Ran great up until the end, and it will still start. I had no idea anything was wrong until it kept stalling and I found metal chunks on the glow plug.

Dale Gribble 01-17-2008 11:51 AM

I started this thread many moons ago, and my .21VG and 8IGHT are still sitting NIB untouched... I should be arrested for such atrocities.

FoamyVictim 01-17-2008 12:14 PM

YES YOU SHOULD!!!! HOW DARE YOU!.... :D:D:D

Chopped02 01-17-2008 12:18 PM

I posted on this thread back when it first started and since then, the VG in my sons buggy still runs strong. Its got maybe 2 gallons through it since I replaced the piston and sleeve. I borrowed a JP3 pipe to run it last time we raced and surprisingly woke the VG up a little. Still not nearly as fast as a V Spec but better than it was. Hoping it will continue to run well for him but I don't expect a miracle. :)

Oh and Dale Gribble, I called the cops on you for the crimes you have commited. ;)

slayerphonics 01-17-2008 03:01 PM

Thats funny you say that cause when i see the guys at my track trying to start there 500+ dollar motor for 5 mins and I bump my cheap 170 LRP and it fires right up... i love it..

Then you always see those guys with the Top motors dropping out first and the stock or sport mill engines still running strong.

FoamyVictim 01-17-2008 03:09 PM

It all comes down to tuning. A Novice can tune a motor so poorly, that it makes others shy away from the brand or model altogether. Too lean on the bottom, and it's fast off the line, but likely starves the motor for lube, risking a failure. Even the best motors can be tuned to death, so try to use personal experience and just a little internet surfing to decide what you want. Generally, you get what you pay for. However, I have an Axe Cobra, that's a $300+ motor. I also have a Rex 3 port, (under $170). If I were to choose, I'd pick the Rex. It makes just about the same power over all, but the Rex has better bottom end. Interestingly enough, the Rex is on a JP-2, and the Axe is on a JP-3... :eek: The Rex is the closest thing I could find to the Top that I did so well with before. I spent right around the same $$ on both, and they perform the same...which is Very Well!

sport10 01-24-2008 07:06 PM

Just wanted to add that the new JP4 from jammin works excellent with the .21 VG. Gives it some much needed topend.

KyJoe340 01-26-2008 08:50 PM

I'm using the JP3 on my VG .21 and my friend with an identical buggy is using the JP4 with his VG. I would say they are tuned closely but there is no way to get them exactly the same and mine with the JP3 will generally run a bit longer on a tank than his with the JP4. Oddly enough the outcome is reversed with our 21 Novarossi 21+5. Again identical motors and setup but the JP4 will run 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer.

Also, I have 1 1/2 gallons on my VG and it's still doing great.

ecocav04 01-26-2008 08:54 PM

i ran a jp1 on mine and it sucked then switched to the jp2 and wow world of diffrence