Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Making more progress. Just a few bits left and it's fiberglass time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	1984250   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	1984251   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1984252  
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything.

Looking good. Keep at it.

Nicely done, looking good, eager to see the end result and ultimately the water test. I was planning on posting my build soon but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in what we're doing or is it just the dead time of year?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by arcdude View Post
    Nicely done, looking good, eager to see the end result and ultimately the water test. I was planning on posting my build soon but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in what we're doing or is it just the dead time of year?
    It's the time of year, and I think the usage of RCU Is down since the software upgrade happened.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

How's the fiberglass coming along? What oz cloth have you used on the boat?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    How's the fiberglass coming along? What oz cloth have you used on the boat?
    I am hoping to get some resin down tonight. I have had a lot of trim to do which I just finished this morning. I have to sand the nose of both sponsons a little otherwise they're ready. To save weight I think I'll just use 3/4oz cloth and 2 coats of epoxy resin. On top of that will be a water based polyurethane which dries to a really slick surface. I didn't fiberglass the tub originally, but I did put a fair bit of resin on the inside of the tub though. I ended up with about 15 coats of polyurethane on the tub and that held up well in my failed voyages. I'll get some new pics of the before and after resin coat to show why it took so long to make these things.

RTR weight finished of old sponsons is 510g, new sponsons sans epoxy and cloth is 387g. I'm quite happy with that, although the final finished weight of the new ones will be roughly 100g lighter. That's a good 20% weight savings.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

20 % is a good saving for sure, every once counts in the end! 15 coats of polyurethane that probably added some weight, did you happen to get a before and after weight during the process? I still haven't decided on what finish to use on mine so just curious.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    20 % is a good saving for sure, every once counts in the end! 15 coats of polyurethane that probably added some weight, did you happen to get a before and after weight during the process? I still haven't decided on what finish to use on mine so just curious.
    Epoxy will add a significant amount of strength as well as fuel/water resistance. That's my first choice, and do 2 coats minimum. Second choice would be oil based polyurethane or varnish. The epoxy and oil based poly will penetrate the wood deep and seal it better than any water based product can do. My outrigger was originally oil stain and water based poly on top.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here's some before and after photos.

Views:	17 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	1986886   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	1986887  
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

I'll have to see what products are available here in Canada now it is very difficult to get anything oil based these days. Those are looking pretty good, you must be getting close to a water test?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll have to see what products are available here in Canada now it is very difficult to get anything oil based these days. Those are looking pretty good, you must be getting close to a water test?
    As soon as I get 2 coats of resin on I will test it in the bath tub. I still have to rig the servos and linkages back up, shorten the boom tubes, and get the engine mount fixed. I would like to have as much gear on the hull as possible for the water test so it's accurate enough to know if it's gonna sit high enough or not.

You should be able to get Epoxy. I use Pacer Z-Poxy finishing resin PT-40. It's thin, spreads well, and sets hard as all get out. I use this resin by itself and with cloth. Works well for me.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Thanks 1QwkSport2.5r looking forward to how it sits in the water now with the new sponsons. The Pacer Z-Poxy finishing resin is what I use for all my fiberglassing on anything rc related and I have some models over ten years old and not so much as a crack, fantastic product to work with. The Z-Poxy is only available in select locations now so it looks like more trips across the border may become a necessity in the future.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks 1QwkSport2.5r looking forward to how it sits in the water now with the new sponsons. The Pacer Z-Poxy finishing resin is what I use for all my fiberglassing on anything rc related and I have some models over ten years old and not so much as a crack, fantastic product to work with. The Z-Poxy is only available in select locations now so it looks like more trips across the border may become a necessity in the future.
    I have a feeling I'll need to use a launch ramp to get it on plane but once on plane it should stay up. I think I'll either use a TT .46 on a tuned muffler or a Super Tigre G51 on the same muffler. It will depend on what engine turns the prop faster. My Jett .35 is as strong or stronger than the TT, so if I need that much more power another Jett will be needed. But time will tell.

Is it much of a hassle to just have it shipped to your door? I know parcels going internationally have to go through customs, but epoxy isn't hazardous as packaged.

The first time I used the Pacer finish resin I mixed up like 2 ounces or something (1oz each) and the mixture exothermed in the cup and almost caught it on fire.. I learned to keep it moving (roll the cup every so often) or in larger quantities I dump it on a stiff paper plate.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Quote Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
    I have a feeling I'll need to use a launch ramp to get it on plane but once on plane it should stay up. I think I'll either use a TT .46 on a tuned muffler or a Super Tigre G51 on the same muffler. It will depend on what engine turns the prop faster. My Jett .35 is as strong or stronger than the TT, so if I need that much more power another Jett will be needed. But time will tell.

Is it much of a hassle to just have it shipped to your door? I know parcels going internationally have to go through customs, but epoxy isn't hazardous as packaged.

The first time I used the Pacer finish resin I mixed up like 2 ounces or something (1oz each) and the mixture exothermed in the cup and almost caught it on fire.. I learned to keep it moving (roll the cup every so often) or in larger quantities I dump it on a stiff paper plate.
    The shipping is doable as I do order a lot from the states however the shipping costs are absurd, recently I ordered an item for $70. and it cost me $40. shipping. The shipping options aren't always made available. Fortunately I live only an hour drive to the border so if several items are needed it's cheaper to go and get them.

Guess you have a decision to make on the engine choice, might I suggest the lightest with the highest rpm, I can't offer an opinion on the difference between the ST and TT I've only had a TT 46 and was very impressed with it's performance.

I had similar issues with the Z-Poxy going off especially if it is a tight sort of enclosed container so I tend to go a little light on the harder rather than exact equal parts, it just takes a little longer to set up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Always mix the epoxy at equal parts, just pour it out after mixing onto a paper plate. If the mixture is spread out, the heat buildup dissipates much better and gets you good working time.

I think the ST is the faster engine but it's gonna probably be heavier. The TT is a great engine, I just have to get it to run inverted better.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Adding more photos. Sponsons are done. Started rigging.

New sponsons ended up with 2 coats of Pacer finishing resin (3/4oz cloth on the bottoms) and 6-7 coats of polyurethane to fill in the remaining weave of the cloth. The new ones are 15% lighter than the old ones and should provide much better lift. I hope.

Views:	19 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	1990470   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	1990471   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	1990472  
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Thought you fell asleep at the helm, looking good, what is the finished weight for the new ones?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thought you fell asleep at the helm, looking good, what is the finished weight for the new ones?
    I've been really busy with a sick kid and I've been working a lot lately, so I'd been sneaking a coat in usually when everyone went to bed. I have to get of my test stand and run a couple engines to determine which one I'm going to use. I'll test float it this week sometime I think. Old sponsons were about 250g each, new ones are 214g or so.
    Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-27-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Hope the young one is feeling a little better. As you mentioned earlier you may need a launch ramp afterall so even if one engine is a little heavier I don't think it'll matter. Good work on the sponsons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hope the young one is feeling a little better. As you mentioned earlier you may need a launch ramp afterall so even if one engine is a little heavier I don't think it'll matter. Good work on the sponsons.
    I might get lucky because I positioned the sponsons in such a way so the keels of the sponsons are deeper so hopefully the tub will sit high enough idle that it may plane on its own though I'm not holding my breath. Airboats seem to be faster when they're on the edge of floatation sitting idle. I'll be test floating the boat in the next few days and there will be pictures afterward.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

How did the float test go?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    How did the float test go?
    Never got time, too busy working 50+hrs a week and having a 14mo old toddler running amuck. I may not get time to mess with it until July or any model for that matter. I did get a chance to run the engine on the test bench and all went well so I just need to find time to mount the engine and fuel tank and adjust linkages and bind the receiver. Someday...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    She's a chunky pig, but she floats. Still will need to hand launch it or use a ramp.

Views:	7 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	2036867   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	3 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	2036868   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	5 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	2036869   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	2036870   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	2036871  

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

It appears the back sponson tube is completely under water and the front one is just touching the surface if I'm not mistaken from what I can tell. It does sit a tad low and with the rear tube under water that may be a little too much drag for it to climb up and plane for you. As you state all is not lost and from what I've read hand launching seems to be common practice. Let us know how the water test turns out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah, I planned on using a ramp anyway. It sits pretty low, but better than the old sponsons. I can shed some weight with some engine stand modifications. I just mocked it up as it was setup originally. If I could get a pound less weight up front it would have a better shot. I'm not very optimistic it's gonna get on plane even with a ramp. I think this thing will end up being all show and no go.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast