Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

converting a weedeater/chainsaw motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
dsfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting a weedeater/chainsaw motor

How hard is it to convert a motor for airboat use. really dont want to buy a kit unless i have to. whats the easiest to do it?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
crispyspa

Default RE: converting a weedeater/chainsaw motor

There is a member here on this section by the name of [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=profile&forum=1&memid=211422]Lester Burch[/link]....get ahold of him.

He can make a prop adapter and engine mounts for you....otherwise its MacGyver time. Most people just scratch a patch of hair off their head before a good mounting idea takes hold. LOL

If you cant figure anything out, post up a pic and we can try to help as much as possible.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

go HERE, it's the engine conversion forum for converting weedeater/chainsaw engines for airplane use but it's the same thing as airboat use... there are places to get prop hubs which are the only custom parts needed, they are usually about $20 plus shipping. There are a few places to get them that have them on the shelves like wackerengines.com but I don't keep up on those since I have a lathe and make my own.

post up on what engines you can get ahold of either here or on the conversion forum and someone will help out.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Ozpulse

Probably the easiest to convert is the 30cc RYOBI/Homelite long shaft motor as you can put a spacer with backing for your prop, mount from rear crank cover bolts with some alloy angle!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 PM
rcbif

ORIGINAL: Ozpulse

Probably the easiest to convert is the 30cc RYOBI/Homelite long shaft motor as you can put a spacer with backing for your prop, mount from rear crank cover bolts with some alloy angle!
x2. Wackerengines.com has all you need for it. Only downside is no original pullstart once converted. I use string wrapped around the flywheel.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Ozpulse

ORIGINAL: rcbif

ORIGINAL: Ozpulse

x2. Wackerengines.com has all you need for it. Only downside is no original pullstart once converted. I use string wrapped around the flywheel.
You can install the pullstart plastic wheel over the spacer behind the prop, it still engages the arms on the flywheel and already has a slot in it for the knot in you starter rope.
Sort of a geezer wheel conversion!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:00 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

there's my solution to that problem, works great