Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uber-Noob need some help

I have recently come into posession of an RC Airboat that was left in a Storage Unit that my uncle owns. I dont really know much about these things but it seems to be in really good condition and I would like to see how well it runs, if it runs at all. it was in a box with some spare props and other parts but i dont have any idea what kind of fuel it runs on or how to start it. there isnt rope start or anything on it. it has the radio controler with it and it has a Super Tigre 60 motor on it. there are no RC Hobby shops in my area so ive been reading up trying to learn a little bit about this thing cuz it looks like it would be Hella Fun if i can get it to run.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to some helpful info on these things id appriciate since this didnt have any manuals or instructions of any kind.

Thanks in Advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Uber-Noob need some help

You are going to need some model airplane fuel 10-15% nitro - about $ 15 a gal. - maybe more now? then you will need a glow igniter - these usually take a "C" battery and you need it to create the first spark. Then it is very helpfull but not absolutely neccessary to have a electric starter - this spins the prop cone at a high speed to fire that puppy off. You can start these by hand flipping the prop - some engines start easier than others. and lastly... a BUNCH of AA batteries for your radio and reciever.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! i just found some youtube videos that explained some of that stuff pretty well.
    can anyone reccomend a good place to order the fuel, starter and anyother items i may need to get this thing running?
    can they even ship the fuel thru the mail? it may be better to try and buy that in a hoby store.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya I think a hobby shop is your best bet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you do not have a hobby store in a reasonable distance you can order everything from Tower Hobbies online. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think there is a Hobby Town in Fort Smith which is about 50 miles away, i`ll check on that.
    I think this is the Engine on the boat, it looks like its been well taken care of from what i can tell.
    http://www.supertigre.com/engines/supg0161.html is this a pretty good engine? ill try to get some pics taken
    and post them here, i dont have a digital cam.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dash, we are in Benton county!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Kimbergirl! i recently moved from Washington County just south of ya. im in Logan County now :-) nice to meet ya!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i haven't had much time to work on this boat due to all the rain we have had these past few weeks. but recently we had a break between the thunderstorms and tornado`s so i finally tried to get my boat started. It didn't go well tho. here are some problems im having.
    1. when i fuel the boat with my electric pump it blows fuel out the carb a little even when its closed. and ive noticed it also spills out the exhaust pipe if i tilt the boat. besides wasting fuel this seems like it would be really bad if the boat starts with fuel in the muffler/exhaust.
    2. after i fuel the boat i replace the fuel lines and prime the boat with the throttle mostly closed. im not sure if i should have it open a little more or not but when put the electric starter on the prop spinner it seems to have a really hard time spinning the prop and blows fuel out the carb at me. the prop turns counter clockwise my starter also spins counter clockwise.
    3. a couple times the starter has actually spun the prop and spinner off the shaft and went spinning at me! ive tried to tighten it down as best i can but then it did it again! sounds funny i know but scared the heck outta me at the time.

i am trying to learn as i go but not getting very far. youtube instructional vids have helped quite a bit but still trying to figure out what im doing wrong with this stuff.  any clues that you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

we finally had a few days of sunshine so i was able to run the boat for the first time on water. still have not got it tuned in right i guess because it wants to sputter and die if i open it up to quickly. lucky for me a good friend had a fishing pole handy and has good aim so it only took 3 or 4 casts and we reeled it back in. in the video i was kinda trying to get the hang of running it so i didnt really open it up all the way i kinda chickened out a bit.
    but i think its running too rich maybe? this run i was using 20% nitro but its kinda expensive so my next run ill be dropping back to 10% nitro cuz it used more fuel than i thought it would. anyway check it out tell me what you think. any tips or advice will be welcomed as i said im a total noob to this stuff and i have a lot to learn.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MVI_0425.mp4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello everyone

Welcome to visit http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10505796/anchors_10505796/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10505796

for the 2011 Beijing show ,there are more and more pictures of the RC HOBBIES .

Welcome
    China Guangdong RC Boat Team
    Love Mono I ,Go Naviga

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your boat looks like a Dumas Big Swamp buggy rated for a 40 to 60 motor they handle great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah it has a super tigre .60 on it now but i dont think its hitting full throttle yet i think i have some tuning issues to work out. im reading up on that trying to figure it out before i put it in the water again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pics are not around any more i gues i deleted them

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DashRiprock

yeah it has a super tigre .60 on it now but i dont think its hitting full throttle yet i think i have some tuning issues to work out. im reading up on that trying to figure it out before i put it in the water again.

If your super tigre .60 has a 2 needle carb, then I'd check this link out: http://www.lymanslack.com/Articles&Archives/st.htm

I've heard a few other people talk about ST carbs being a pain to tune, but I have no experience with them.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks a bunch 1QuikSport that page has lots of good info i will definitely be checking that out since it relates to my engine specifically.

i did get to run my boat again today and it ran lots better. i had been watching some videos on youtube about how to tune a nitro engine. i think i learned enough to make it run better than it was before and im happy with how its running now for the most part but it still sometimes dies for some reason and gives little or no warning that its about to die. so i am trying to figure out why and how to fix that. also im thinking my boat may be a little big and heavy for this motor.  not sure the exact weight atm but ill get it weighed this week sometime. i wish id had a camera to record the run i made today. it was really screaming there for a while then i got chicken and slowed down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks a bunch 1QuikSport that page has lots of good info i will definitely be checking that out since it relates to my engine specifically.

i did get to run my boat again today and it ran lots better. i had been watching some videos on youtube about how to tune a nitro engine. i think i learned enough to make it run better than it was before and im happy with how its running now for the most part but it still sometimes dies for some reason and gives little or no warning that its about to die. so i am trying to figure out why and how to fix that. also im thinking my boat may be a little big and heavy for this motor.* not sure the exact weight atm but ill get it weighed this week sometime. i wish id had a camera to record the run i made today. it was really screaming there for a while then i got chicken and slowed down.
    Airplane engines are rather easy to tune, generally. ST engines (based on what I've read) are good running engines, but can be a little tricky to tune. The General rule of thumb is you tune the main needle first setting to peak RPM, then richening the needle 2-3 clicks. Then set the idle mixture to get a clean transition then richen about 1/16th turn. If you adjust one needle, you have to adjust the other since one usually affects the other at certain throttle settings.

If its just dying for no reason, I'd suspect air bubbles in the fuel line from vibration. Ensure the fuel tank is isolated from the hull - any part of the tank touching the hull directly will/can cause the fuel to foam up a little bit leading to air bubbles in the feed line and ultimately causing a deadstick. If you havent replaced the fuel lines on it yet, I'd suggest doing so - Old fuel line can crack or get pinholes in it leading to air bubbles as well. Watch the fuel line to the carb while the engine is running. Throttle it some while watching the fuel line looking for bubbles. A whole bunch of small bubbles usually turn into one big one and a big enough bubble not only will lean your fuel mixture but can cause your engine to just quit for no reason especially at higher RPM.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after reading some of the advice posted on this thread about tuning, i think ive got it running pretty well. maybe not the optimum best it could be but pretty good, it runs fast and doesnt die on me now.  after a few runs ive noticed the boat pulls to the right a bit. im thinking this may be torque roll from the prop?
    i damaged my air rudders not long after i got the boat and did a quick fix with glue and a couple popsickle sticks just so i could run it. but im looking for something to make the new rudders out of thats not as flimsy as the thin wood ones that broke so easy. ive seen a few boats that have transparent plastic looking rudders or metal ones. but im not sure what i have that i could cut that stuff down with and not leave a nasty jagged looking edge or where to get the material they used to make theirs. or should i just make several sets of the cheesy wooden rudders? they seem to be the easiest thing to damage on this boat just loading and unloading it in my car.  any ideas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after reading some of the advice posted on this thread about tuning, i think ive got it running pretty well. maybe not the optimum best it could be but pretty good, it runs fast and doesnt die on me now.* after a few runs ive noticed the boat pulls to the right a bit. im thinking this may be torque roll from the prop?
    i damaged my air rudders not long after i got the boat and did a quick fix with glue and a couple popsickle sticks just so i could run it. but im looking for something to make the new rudders out of thats not as flimsy as the thin wood ones that broke so easy. ive seen a few boats that have transparent plastic looking rudders or metal ones. but im not sure what i have that i could cut that stuff down with and not leave a nasty jagged looking edge or where to get the material they used to make theirs. or should i just make several sets of the cheesy wooden rudders? they seem to be the easiest thing to damage on this boat just loading and unloading it in my car.* any ideas?
    My flatbottom airboat's air rudders are made from 5.5mm birch plywood. (just under 1/4" thick) You could use plexiglass as well. I cut some 1/16" plexi on my compound mitre saw using a 60 tooth blade, cutting slowly. I had no problems with chipping, so if you are cutting thicker plexi you should be fine.

Wood is a little more forgiving, but plywood will delaminate if its not properly sealed. I wouldn't recommend using solid wood as it will cup/curl up after getting wet. Ply is probably the more stable route to go.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My last set I made from the plastic housing of an old Toro snow blower 1/16" plastic - pretty stiff -but flexible enough not to break AND
    I like the bright red color so I can see what direction the boat is going from a distance (dang old eyes ) don't see as good as they used to.