Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS

Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Lester Burch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS

FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS

For the most part RC airboating seems to be a loner type sport. How can we change this and become an organized group?
The water prop boaters in the USA have two RC Boating Associations, IMPBA & NAMBA. Each has District and National races and have been going a long time. They must have many members to be able to provide their own insurance for their events. As of right now, airboat clubs are not big enough to afford insurance for their events so we must take a different route. I have talked to some RC Modeling Associations and have found a group that will accept RC airboats; sadly the other ones will not have anything to do with airboats.
If we would like this sport to grow we all need local places to run where spectators can come watch us. The way things are today, an Association must have insurance if they want a place to run their boats for an organized event. To get insurance it will take membership dues.
If we can organize an Association in Florida to race Airboats, oval & drags, and these members are willing to join a National Group, the insurance coverage for airboats would be included in the membership dues. To race at an event, boaters would have to be a member of the National Group that chartered the club. At this time the approximate dues would be $50 - $75 per year for adults 18 and up.
If we do not organize an Association and obtain the proper insurance, RC airboating will always be a backyard sport and will never be taken seriously. So, who is willing to help organize the a Florida RC Airboaters Association?
This post is not intended to degrade any RC airboat group, we just need to get organized if we would like to race.
This is not a group that is going now this will be a new group for Florida.

Thanks for your help.

Lester Burch
Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 PM
greygoose81

Default RE: FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS

I am all for anything that will grow the sport of rc airboat racing and if that means fifty bucks a year, well I will just cut out two meals out on the town. I support this 100%
Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 AM
DJLaPalme

I will sign up. I was at the RCAA meet May 15th and watched several guys drag racing and from what I could tell they were having a blast. If we could set up races in different parts of the state we could expose alot more people to this sport. That could only help us all. Major manufacturers like Master Airscrew and APC won't pay attention to a few individuals here and there who need a better selection of pusher props, but you get an organized group that is continually growing and they will take notice sooner or later. We can have as many classes as we want to cover every type of airboat out there. Fun for everyone including children. Dennis
Old 05-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Selph-Inflicted

I have access to a 5 acre pond on county property here in Okeechobee County that there is no need to purchase a membership to run at. Nor do we need insurance to run there.

I honestly don't see many spending $50-75 to run a few times out of the year when there are ways to do it freely.

Like I said, I have a manicured pond that we can run at free of cost. No weeds, the grass is mowed and maintained. My county is centrally located and could draw boaters from the north and south.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM
DashRiprock

trying to contact airboat enthusiasts in my area also. i think there are a lot more of you guys in Florida and Louisiana. not very many boaters at all in this area it seems, but plenty of flyers.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
ptr34

I'm down. want real races.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 PM
greygoose81

My father built my first airboat for me when I was ten years old, back in 91, so you can say I have been participating in this hobby most of my life. In the last ten years this hobby has exploded here in FL. I think this is the right time to get this rolling in a direction where we can have state wide races. If we have success here, other states may see what FL. is doing and start their own and then we could have national races. This would be for the serious hobbyist that would want to race their boats and if they are a manufacturer a good way to get their product in front of the masses. In order to do this there would need to be dues, no if and or buts about it. I am with dad(lester) the only way to jump to the next level is to have insurance.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Lester Burch

When I stared this post I did not intent to have one RC Airboat club against another this post is to see if there are boater that would like to have organized racing in Florida. For the most part in Florida if you are going to have a organized event of any kind you will need insurance for the land owner private, county or state. We can run at the local parks without having insurance but if we have an event we will need it.
I have been involved in RC Airboats Racing for 5 years with the M-AB-A and is has been great the M-AB-A is a small club and there are not enough members to get insurance at this time and I would like to race in Florida as a organized event with more than 5 or 6 people that show up to run there boats around the pond. As I said in my first post this not a club that is going now if you think you would like to be in on staring a Racing club in Florida send me a PM and I will get back with you.

Thanks Chris that sounds like a good place to run we are looking for at least 4 places around the state to run there is one in SW Florida that I am looking in to.

I know this type of racing in not for ever one but for the ones that like racing we will have a good time.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: Lester Burch

When I stared this post I did not intent to have one RC Airboat club against another......
Who is putting one "club" up against another "club"?

I was simply sharing my efforts to promote and grow the sport with minimal investments from all. That is how the sport is going to grow into an organization in the future. There are simply not enough airboaters out there now to be organized with out it being costly....especially in today's economy.

I have been working with my County Commissioners for several months on getting a place to run that will not cost anyone anything, including insurance. For the record, the place that I have been given permission is not public property. Rather it is our countys Agri-Civic Center (a gated facility open to the public only for events and festivals) in which the county come to me (after seeing my booth in a county festival) and asked what I could do to draw other areas of interest to our county. I told them what I could do. After several meetings with the county commissioners, I got permission to use a pond located at the Agri-Civic center to hold races/meets at. As long as there is no admission charged to spectators or any money handed out for the competition, it will cost NOTHING to hold races/meets there. And we will be covered under the county's insurance. The Florida Tourism Development Council will also be involved in these events.

I am all for promoting airboats (and will continue to).....not putting on "club" against another.
I wish you all the luck with your adventure. I believe I will stick with my decision that I made several years back when all this started.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you Lester, it is almost impossible to have a organized race event anywhere with out some type of insurance. I'm also a member of NAMBA and between paying for their membership and our local club I'm spending about $100.00 a year. $50.00-$75.00 is fair and as members grow I'm sure the price would be less. Even if I would only race 1 time a year this would be worth it.
It is very easy for a handful of guys to go out and run just about anywhere, but the second you try to host a organized race event the tables turn. You are hard pressed to find water without some type of coverage. Every year for the winds of the swamp airboat race, I'm stressing over the fact that it is a good chance that we will loose the water we have and then its starts all over again looking for a place to race.
As for the cost, do a little adding. Gas RC Airboat, you are looking at a cost of no less than $750.00+ and that is only if you find all of your own parts at discounted prices and build the boat yourself. Fuel to get to a race event, my last race was just over one state, fuel cost $210.00 round trip, hotel 2 nights $150.00 eating out 3 days $130.00 fuel, batteries and other odds and ends for boats $50.00. All adds up to $1290.00 so if you are going to get out and race whats is another 50 dollars?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: Selph-Inflicted

When I stared this post I did not intent to have one RC Airboat club against another......
Who is putting one ''club'' up against another ''club''?

I wish you all the luck with your adventure. I believe I will stick with my decision that I made several years back when all this started.
You have got to be kidding me! There was never any question for you to change any decision that you have made or any that was given to you. Lester simply has the knowledge of knowing what it will take to have a event at the mass majority of different places. Also as Lester stated "I know this type of racing in not for ever one but for the ones that like racing we will have a good time" It is very simple, want to have events at different places get insurance.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Hal, I don't recall you being present during the phone call Lester made to me last week.

Like I said, good luck with your venture. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Lester Burch

It is time to cool down like I said.
When I stared this post I did not intent to have one RC Airboat club against another this post is to see if there are boater that would like to have organized racing in Florida. If boaters would like to join that is fine if not that is fine also this is up to the RC Airboaters of Florida.

Chris I am not getting in to he said she said we are suppose to be grown men and I will drop it there.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 AM
greygoose81

Lets get this back on track. Another reason to have insurance is for your protection. Lets say you are running your boat at a pond and some people show up to watch. The spectators walk to the other side of the pond to enjoy the show. Now your start showing off and accidentally run your boat on to shore near the spectators. And before you know it, one of the kids with the group runs over to tries to put your boat back in, while you are jumping up and down yelling for him not to. Well he puts his hand in the prop and the parents think someone should pay. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the laws but I think that would be a good time to have insurance.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Lester, I'm not getting heated up. Just sharing info.

Let me reiterate I said. There is nothing wrong with getting an organization together. National or state level. I have talked with the boating organizations also and know all the red tape involved and its a lot.

This is what my county as well as the Florida Tourism Development Council is willing to do to draw in more tourism into our county and into Florida. Go back and read my second post. There will be NO COST involved to the airboaters, that is coming straight from the commissioners mouth. The Tourism Development Board DONATES funds to help tourism grow in Florida. I was simply sharing some efforts that we have accomplished to race/run in my county. To be able to have a facility for other airboaters from around Florida or out of state to come and race/run....to promote rc airboats. For this sport to grow to a national level, it must first start on a local level.

I was not putting one club up against another, simply sharing an option to help the sport grow. Since there still seems to be tension, I refuse to be wrapped up in it. This sport is fun and the tension takes the fun out of it.

Once again....good luck with you venture. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Chris I am not getting in to he said she said we are suppose to be grown men and I will drop it there.
Me either. Thats why I did not go into details about our conversation.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 AM
greygoose81

All we are trying to do is make rc airboating main stream. I met with rc airboaters from all over the country, they are all good people and passionate about this hobby. This will be an organization that will welcome everyone. This post is to try to get input on how to accomplish the subject at hand and not to resolve old personal differences. So please everyone stick to the subject. For the ones that would like to see events like we are discussing please give your input.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: greygoose81

All we are trying to do is make rc airboating main stream. I met with rc airboaters from all over the country, they are all good people and passionate about this hobby. This will be an organization that will welcome everyone. This post is to try to get input on how to accomplish the subject at hand and not to resolve old personal differences. So please everyone stick to the subject. For the ones that would like to see events like we are discussing please give your input.
Thats what I did....gave my input. I was simply stating what I could contribute to further the sport. And until the organization could reach a organized national level, this is what I could contribute to help out the Florida boaters. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM
greygoose81

Chris your input is greatly appreciated. And you have a point about people not wanting to spend money to race there boats. Not everyone that has an rc car races it, that’s just how it is. But there are people that would like to race there boats and are willing to pay for the insurance. It is great that you have access to a pond that doesn’t require insurance. Its to bad that there aren’t more places like that around the state of Florida. Most places are worried about being sued if someone were to get hurt. So in my eyes this looks like a reasonable fix. This idea is still on the drawing board and this is the whole reason behind this post. Maybe if we ever get this off the ground we could hold a race at your location.

Sorry dad for taking over your post but I would love to see this happen
Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
marshrabbitt

Here is my opinion for what its worth.... I can see both sides here. I understand what Lester is trying to do and accomplish but I also understand Chris's side. I personally just like to get together and race each other and spend time gossiping about the sport... I think we should get together about 4-5-6 times an year...make our videos and just have fun. Because thats what its all about..having fun at what you love to do. I see no need in spending extra money to join a club just to have insurance and have a crowd watch you race....there is a lot of work putting all that stuff together and that takes all the fun out of it and pretty soon you are sick of it. I also feel if we continue to have these local meets...this friend will tell that friend and more people will build them a boat... come to our meets.... and then one day you might have enough people to go bigger into the sport, if thats what the majority wanted. Who needs to recognize us anyway? As long as we recognize ourselves what does it really matter? I am not trying to get a major sponsor or win alot of money, I just like to run my boat, I just want everyone to get along being there are so few of us as it is in the sport and share the passion with each other and whoever is interested.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: marshrabbitt

Here is my opinion for what its worth.... I can see both sides here. I understand what Lester is trying to do and accomplish but I also understand Chris's side. I personally just like to get together and race each other and spend time gossiping about the sport... I think we should get together about 4-5-6 times an year...make our videos and just have fun. Because thats what its all about..having fun at what you love to do. I see no need in spending extra money to join a club just to have insurance and have a crowd watch you race....there is a lot of work putting all that stuff together and that takes all the fun out of it and pretty soon you are sick of it. I also feel if we continue to have these local meets...this friend will tell that friend and more people will build them a boat... come to our meets.... and then one day you might have enough people to go bigger into the sport, if thats what the majority wanted. Who needs to recognize us anyway? As long as we recognize ourselves what does it really matter? I am not trying to get a major sponsor or win alot of money, I just like to run my boat, I just want everyone to get along being there are so few of us as it is in the sport and share the passion with each other and whoever is interested.
I like it. I'll try for twice a year. You blokes are too darn far away.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

friends don't let friends airboat ?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
71dartswinger

I also am working with the tourism department in City of Auburndale for a lake they have
for us to run at . about the size of a football field
Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
ptr34

meets are tons of fun. we had a awesome time at the last meet. but i would like to set up some races that we could have a class winner at the end day and at the end of year or atleast get bragging rights till the next meet. The time i ran in ocala where me a joey and denny raced it was so exciting. my hands where shacking the whole time . I have a pond in mind also it maybe a little short for drag racing but oval it would be prefect. only draw back is its deep. its on a farm right by a major highway. I have to talk to the farmer and see if its ok to have a meet there
Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Hosting a race is a lot of work and takes more than one person to run a race. Many things have to fall into place even the small things for a race to be sucessful, takes weeks to get it all lined up.
But let me tell you and I'm sure that every one that has been on the drivers stand will tell you the same thing, just as the clock starts so does the heart racing, knees knocking, squezzing of the radio so thight its about to bust in your hand, even your eye sight has to take a moment to focus, the rush is like having a 12 point buck walk under your stand, and then the race starts. Then the knees get really weak and the grip gets a little tighter. So all of the work that goes into hosting a race, is it worth it? I've been doing it for some years now and all I have to say is hell yes its worth it.
Watch the vid and you will see the excitement even the camera person had a hard time videoing from getting cought up in the race.
[link]http://youtu.be/bCM81Yb76H8[/link]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCM81Yb76H8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.