Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

June 7,8, and 9th will be the weekend I'm planning to bash the hell out of my airboats. Hoping to get a few guys and half a dozen boats out on the pond.

I'll have both of my SI3's, my big Kamikaze and probably the Minikaze too.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

This is my unedited video (courtesy of crispyspa) of my RCAA Speed Run. 49.6MPH! http://youtu.be/UtU1aUSGzdA

I am optimistic to see 60mph or better, but with a few mods I can get to 55mph pretty easily I think.

I love this engine!![8D][X(]
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So it seems that speed was taking a toll on my sponson skin... Part of that was my fault in not reinforcing it. So under the knife it went:

Peeled the skin off, adhesion of the epoxy was fine, and no water intrusion.

Cleaned up the sponsons with a light sanding and added balsa strips to support the skin. This was done in the tub, not sure why I didn't do it to the sponsons originally.

After a quick sanding, I'll glue new skin on and get it fiberglassed again. We are trying to get another meet planned and I'm hoping to break my old speed record by at least 5mph... Wish me luck. More pics to follow.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    New skin is on! The skin is MUCH more rigid. It shouldn't deflect much energy, so hopefully this translates to faster speeds. I added a small chunk of 3/16" plywood on the inside of the sponson transom on the port side to reinforce the turn fin brackets mounting. I couldn't track down any 4-40 T nuts to use, so I will just use wood screws. 6-32 T nuts were too big.

Rebuilt sponsons:

I don't have enough resin and possibly enough cloth to cover this so I'll stop by the hobby shop tomorrow.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Got a layer of 3/4oz cloth and a coat of resin on the rebuilt sponsons. One more resin coat tomorrow, a couple coats of polyurethane Saturday AM and off to the pond I go to bash the Jett some more...

Here's the top deck after re-sanding down to bare wood to remove some fuel stains. One more coat and its seaworthy again.
    Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My baby is done and back together. It turned out better than the first time, and its incredibly sturdy now. I tested it on the water but it was too windy to open it up. Now if I can get the engine to finish breaking in...

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345