Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

Thanks guys.. I'm happy this one worked out. Now I need to find a very very small lightweight GPS to get a better speed reading. My Lowrance GPS is about 9oz with 2 lithium AA's which I noticed slowed the boat down a lot. I got 32.7 on the one run with the GPS. In the video, I wasn't using the GPS and it was noticeably faster. I am sure I can get 40mph, I haven't tried all of the props I have. I ran a 9x6, and a 9x7 sport APC so far. I have a 9.5x7N APC pylon prop that I shaved down to about 9.25" dia. that has wider blades. The pylon prop should get a little more bite than the sport 9x7.

My goal is 39mph. That would put it as-fast as my 18.5' fishing boat with a 120hp outboard.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Altered1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice !

Have you got a friend with an old Smart phone ?  I've got a nokia 6220C Dimensions are 108 x 47 x 15 mm it weighs 90G [3oz], and ofcourse, has a nice graphical GPS plot of where the phone has been, as well as a screen that will just give the basics - i.e. top speed. ... something like that would be ideal?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Altered1

Nice !

Have you got a friend with an old Smart phone ? I've got a nokia 6220C Dimensions are 108 x 47 x 15 mm it weighs 90G [3oz], and ofcourse, has a nice graphical GPS plot of where the phone has been, as well as a screen that will just give the basics - i.e. top speed. ... something like that would be ideal?
Well, I'm going for an RCAA record, and I believe the speed runs have to be made with a normal GPS; I dont think a radar gun is allowed, either. I'm not sure that a cell phone GPS is going to be accurate enough anyway? I dont have any spare smartphones with GPS laying around, and neither do any of my buddies.

My big Lowrance iFinder GPS has WAAS, which gives accuracy to within like 10 feet on a clear day. Its just too darn heavy (8 5/8oz). A small Garmin would work perfect, but I'd have to find one for less than $50. They weigh just a couple ounces and seem to be what everyone on RCAW uses..
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I may or may not be able to get any speed readings, but I'm going to the pond sometime this weekend to run the 3-pointer some more. I have tried a 9x6 and 9x7 so far, I have some lower pitched 9" props and I have an 8x8. I'm curious to see if the Enya will tolerate the 8x8. If not, I'll save that for the ST s29 with a tuned pipe. I have to either make a header or find something that will fit the Enya so I can make a mousse can pipe for it. I have a can with more volume than the TT 46 muffler, so I should be able to get more power from the engine yet. I really think 40 is very feasible with this thing. I'm surprised by this, as it weighs in at 4lbs all done up and RTR.

I will try to snap some video of the testing..
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Went to the pond today for more testing (and grinning). Superb performance. Speeds of 35mph+. I was running a 9x6 APC prop on the Enya, which seems to be a good prop for the boat. I get 15k running rpm on this prop, about 13k on a 9x7 APC. I am going to do some window shopping tomorrow for a small gps that's lighter in weight. Any more than 3-4oz and I lose 3-5mph speed if not more.

Unfortunately I can never find a cameraman to take vids for me. This thing is fast! Still smiling and very happy with it.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Congrats on your success with the new 3 - pointer. BTW- They took my feeding tube out Wed., and family doc gave me an ok to start doing more. Good week. BTW- I got a OM- 29" boat and finishing building a water pickup for the motor coolers and put more caps on the t-120 esc to take the heat which is already water cooled ( esc ).
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Congrats on your success with the new 3 - pointer. BTW- They took my feeding tube out Wed., and family doc gave me an ok to start doing more. Good week. BTW- I got a OM- 29'' boat and finishing building a water pickup for the motor coolers and put more caps on the t-120 esc to take the heat which is already water cooled ( esc ).
Good to hear from you Dennis! I was going to email you to see how you were doing. I'm very glad you're recovering well.

This little 3-pointer is just awesome. Well worth the time to do a re-rebuild of the hull. This new hull is far and away 150% better than the original one I built. I need a bigger pond! I dont think I've even gotten it up to top speed yet because I run out of pond in a very short time. Crazy..

The wife went to the drive-in movie theater with some friends, so I sat around the house screwing off. I decided to yank my vibration-happy .90 2-stroke off the big flat bottom boat and stick my Enya 60 4-stroke on my big flat bottom boat. I might go romp it a little tomorrow if I have time. I probably wont, as there is a ton of work to be done around the house. <shrug> I'll just have to see.

Hopefully I can round up a cameraman to make some vids for me. Its just too hard to try to zoom in on the boat cruising around the pond and paying attention to where I'm driving at the same time.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I decided to get myself a nice Christmas present this year. Putting a barn burner on my mini SI3, gonna see if I can get it to fly to the moon or maybe mars.

I'm calling it the barn burner, thinking I'll actually name this boat... Maybe 'The Blazing Banshee' or something.

Jett BSE .35 - 18,000rpm+ on a 9x6 using 15% nitro. Oofda!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

Alright, now you won't have to put turpintine on the transom rearend to make it fly faster,LOL! The old-timer who had a CAT he didn't like, would catch the cat and put turpintine on the rearend and cat would travel a LONG way to cool the rearend and never come back. That was the fastest cat he ever saw,LOL!Nice x-mas present.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

You didn't add that the applicator was a dry corn cob and he wasn't real gental in its application .
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Haha... Funny stuff.

I'm building a whole new engine break-in stand to run the Jett. I might have to set up an exhaust system in the garage to run this thing before spring. Gonna have to get it hot and keep it hot while it runs.

I'll put up pics of my new stand when I get it all glued up.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM

RS 38-40 I didn't ask as he was 6'4" and looked like a Pro wresler! He may have been????????? Here's something else; my former former neighbor who died , god bless his soul, was in the Twin Cities fora Shiner deal and got on a elevator and he looked at 4 big guys were on it. Now he stood 5'6"' and didn't say a wordall the way up. He said, i thought they were tallRewoods of California!Enough out of me. I can picture him on the elevator.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I had some down time at work the other day, so I started rebuilding my test stand. The "chemical resistant" polyurethane I used on my old one wasn't up to the task of protecting itself from some castor oil.. There was a fair amount of oil in the grain that I couldn't get out, so I started with new wood. I have to glue the outside borders on and I will get some Epoxy on it.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

More of my new test stand that I built especially for the Jett, but is capable of any size engine with a standard type of mounting lugs.

Mock-up: Added extra (temporary) platform for the Tachometer to be strapped to for easier/more consistent tach readings.

Old broken Master Airscrew 10x6 for throttle lever - prop broke when my (crappy) glow driver popped itself off my G51 and right into the prop arc. Engine stopped, but prop broke. I figured, "why not.."

2 coats of Epoxy resin:

Outer border is American Cherry, then a strip of Wenge, and White oak and a strip of birch for good measure. The wood is 3/4" thick and I screwed a piece of 3/16" birch ply to the back of it for extra rigidity. Wood is epoxied together and coated with Epoxy finish resin.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I finished the epoxy work on the new test stand and reassembled the new stand and rigged it. The Barn Burner is mounted and ready to get broke in.

Once its broke in and ready to run, I'll put it on the mini SI3 and go play. Still trying to come up with a name for this boat...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Oh yes, Miss Minnesota! or Miss OM PAPA! Polka !
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Oh yes, Miss Minnesota! or Miss OM PA PA! Polka !
Haha... I was thinking more like 'Rabid Banshee'. Something... "Catchy"' lol
Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Not sure if Rabid Banshee will stick, but it'll work for now.

This thing is going to turn into a rocket I think.…

The engine is still really tight, peaking at 17,500rpm on a 9x6 APC. It will hit 18,200rpm when it loosens up more. I'm hoping to get 55mph+ on the GPS.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Well, the Howlin' Hornet is RTR! It weighs in at 4.5lbs minus fuel. Hoping the ponds/lakes thaw out soon. I really want to get out and test the new engine on this boat.

The fuel tank is heavily padded to thwart vibration. The rpm these engines turn creates a lot of vibration and foamy fuel is bad.

The turn fin is done and mounted. Hoping this works well enough until I can make a better mount.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 AM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

That foam pad on your tank will cause air drag and slow you down . NOT MUCH but a little . You have to decide if the benifit is enough to put it on there . Just an observation . Everything else looks pretty clean .
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: RS 38-40

That foam pad on your tank will cause air drag and slow you down . NOT MUCH but a little . You have to decide if the benifit is enough to put it on there . Just an observation . Everything else looks pretty clean .
It has to be there. The fuel will foam up if its not. I'm not risking foamy fuel and lean runs on a $300+ engine.

The boat runs awesome already, just not fast enough. It should do really well now.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
crispyspa

The more I think about it, the more I think you will want to wait for a bubbless tank to run. I know you are itching to get it out onto the water and the rest of us want to see that sucker fly, but is it worth the risk of frying a $300 Jett engine for a $25 tank?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

The more I think about it, the more I think you will want to wait for a bubbless tank to run. I know you are itching to get it out onto the water and the rest of us want to see that sucker fly, but is it worth the risk of frying a $300 Jett engine for a $25 tank?
Running the engine on the test stand with the tank padded as shown in the above pics gave no bubbles even up to 18,500rpm. I do however have a homemade bubblefree tank that uses 8oz baby bottle liners. It works well, but the engine I made it for burns that tank up in about 3-minutes if not less.. (15cc).

I wil test run the engine in my driveway on the boat in its cradle and run it up to look for bubbles. If I see any I will swap my custom bladder tank and try it.

My SuperTigre s29 turns over 17k and never had bubbly fuel/lines so another 600-800rpm shouldn't make much of a difference.

I spent all my money on the engine, nothing left for a $30 fuel tank. Besides, I have a 5wk old baby now.... Money really doesn't exist now.. LoL.

Andy mentioned the same thing on RCAW... Trust me, I won't fry this engine.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Made a fuel tank change - had to go bubbleless. Small 6-7oz bladder inside an 8oz plastic bottle. Works flawlessly.

Got a few runs on the Jett. Prop is an APC 8x6, 15% nitro, Enya 3 plug.
http://youtu.be/pEvX06OEUaE

More to come from the Ballistic Banshee...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'm not sure if there are any other airboaters up here in the Midwest, but a few of us are going to plan an R/C airboat day coming soon. If there is anyone that reads this has any interest, let me know. I know there will be some SI3 races, and I have a new build that needs a maiden run.

Lake/pond is not determined yet but we have a few options for that. A retrieval vessel is not immediately available but can be had as well. A small dingy and electric trolling motor would be ideal, but a canoe is what I can get ahold of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.