help with build for outrigger

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

help with build for outrigger

Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with build for outrigger

hey i need somebody help im 16 and im new to rc boats but i like to make stuff and the outrigger really cought my eye when i ws goin through youtube but i have yet to see a outrigger with a 30cc weed eater engine so i ws wondering is it possible or not i cant see a reason why it not possible but on the other hand im new to this soo i need help
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: help with build for outrigger

still need help over here
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

hey i need somebody help im 16 and im new to rc boats but i like to make stuff and the outrigger really cought my eye when i ws goin through youtube but i have yet to see a outrigger with a 30cc weed eater engine so i ws wondering is it possible or not i cant see a reason why it not possible but on the other hand im new to this soo i need help
I wouldnt say it to be impossible to use a weed wacker engine on a Outrigger hydro, but it would have to be pretty large to have good floatation with the larger gas engine. I think if you search the forum for Gasser hydro's, you'll get all sorts of ideas. In the airboat world, you have to use your imagination since there aren't many kits/RTR's if any to speak of. There are several tried and true designs using converted weed wacker engines all over the place. Do a little searching, and ask more questions.

I prefer glow because of their light weight and far better RPM potential. If you really wanted to get radical, you could make modifications to a gas engine to get more rpm from it, and if you want a little more power you could convert it to run on methanol and use a glow plug. This will save a ton of weight removing the ignition system and such. Its an expense to do though, so you have to plan your project carefully because it is a hobby and things can get a tad expensive. Not trying to scare you or take away from your idea - I would love to see a Gas outrigger myself...

I would think you'd need to have an overall length of at least 4 feet, an overall width (outside edge of sponson to outside edge of sponson) of at least 24-28 inches and center tub dimensions of 4" tall x 6" wide... These figures are rough estimates. I'd suggest making some drawings of what you'd like to do and post them and see what others have to say. I always start with a drawing first. My .46 Outrigger started as 36"L overall, 22" overall width, and center tub being about 2.5" high and 3.25" wide. Sponsons are 2.25" x 2.25" x 16" long I think. Weight of my 'rigger is around 6.5lbs RTR without my 8.5oz GPS. A gasser would end up being 8-10lbs minimum using an engine-forward hydro design like the one I built (which I modeled after another guy's 'rigger that goes over 75mph)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
thomasjohn

My some what educated guess just running on brilliant common sense , wouldn't work cause you would need large tub to support that weed whacker motor , then when finished just would not be enough RPM,s to lift it to its wings (SPONCES) , i would try a electric motor out of a cordless vac or cordless dremel good rpms , then get some PVC pipe not schedule 40 but thinner light weight maybe 2in diam for your tub and smaller for sponces , then take some thin plexiglass plastic and shape it as little skies attach them to the sponces pvc tubes make two rear sponces , and there you go.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best to stay away from building a outrigger as a first build, unless you are willing to build test and toss in the burn can. With any outrigger hull water prop or air prop they are either right or wrong. But when they are right they are down right fast, but to get one right is a lot of building and rebuilding.