Progress has been slow... I've been sick, and work has been crazy busy lately.. BUT.... I am moving forward. Last week I made the radio box lid. Its American Black Cherry with the grain [mostly] vertical. Its a little more stable this way.
I am going to put a layer of fiberglass on the inside of the lid, and make a removable cradle that will hold my GPS. I figured I'd use small brass screws from the bottom of the lid into the cradle. When the GPS isnt in use, I'll simply take the cradle off and put the screws in the holes to act as plugs.
Working on the top skin now. I'll do the top in 3 sections. Port side is epoxied, waiting for it to set a few hours. I dont have a lot of clamps or lead weights, so I use whatever I have on hand thats heavy... Paint, glow fuel, castor oil, brazilian walnut hardwood, etc. There's probably 50 pounds sitting on it in this picture.
You can't really see in the picture, but I have two micro clamps and 3 bigger clamps up front to hold the compound bends where I want them. Sometimes the grain of the wood works with you when bending it around a curve. In this case, instead of having two bends meeting at the same vertex, I have one bend just slightly in front of the other right at a bend in the hull itself. If there ends up being a buckle in this spot, it will hang over enough so when I do the final trim/sanding, it will actually look like its supposed to be there. Hard to explain, easier to see. When the resin sets, I'll post a picture of the front.