Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 4th boat build. Mini-Kaze Stepboat

I stuck it on the scale..... with a full fuel tank, she weighs in at 4lb8oz. Quite a heft there, but it still looks cool.

All mocked up/test mounted everything.

Still have to make the rudder bracket and finish the linkages after fiberglass. I would think all done and RTR I should expect 4lb12oz. Might need the .46 after all...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are going to be pretty close in weight I think - my bare hull weighs in at 2.8 lbs and I am guessing the rest weighs about the same ? I havn't brought it to work yet for the official Biggest Loser weigh in. As in... my co-workers will probably think Im the biggest loser ! A couple of them are excited to see it go - if it ever snows enough. Looks good Tim.

So I figure we will be pretty close to the same class - racing wise. This should be good !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dadkins

We are going to be pretty close in weight I think - my bare hull weighs in at 2.8 lbs and I am guessing the rest weighs about the same ? I havn't brought it to work yet for the official Biggest Loser weigh in. As in... my co-workers will probably think Im the biggest loser ! A couple of them are excited to see it go - if it ever snows enough. Looks good Tim.

So I figure we will be pretty close to the same class - racing wise. This should be good !
    Dave - LOL! When I break it down for glass, I'll weigh the bare hull for comparison. I have 4 engines that wont sink it, so it will be interesting. I might need a few 8" props, maybe 8x8 and 8x9.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tore the boat down for fiberglass. The hull itself with only the 2 servos and servo mount/tray installed is 2lb 7oz. The engine, engine stand, full pipe, and full tank of fuel is 1lb 12oz.

I'm using 2oz cloth on the whole bottom, but I haven't decided if I'm going to use 2oz on top or 3/4oz or two layers of 3/4oz. I have the cloth cut for the bottom, and some plastic sheeting to put over the wet resin. (This makes for an unbelievably smooth finished surface, the weave fills in much nicer this way.) Here's some pics of the glass prep:

Its hard to tell front to back under the cloth, but here's front and back bottom shot.

I had to make 2 small cuts where the step is. Had I not done this, I would have ended up with a giant bubble that wouldnt lay down. This way I slightly overlap the two edges and hopefully keep the edge of the step nice and sharp.

I hope to get the resin down on the bottom, and maybe get the cloth cut for the top once I see how the 2oz lays out on the bottom. I'm using Pacer Z-Poxy finishing resin. Sets in 60min, cured in 3hrs. I used the same resin on the original Kamikaze. More pics to come.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curious to see how much weight the glass/cloth will add - I may have to do the same after the punishment it took on the maiden of course water would be easier on it than pavers - but with the glass cloth it may be paver -0, boat -0.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curious to see how much weight the glass/cloth will add - I may have to do the same after the punishment it took on the maiden of course water would be easier on it than pavers - but with the glass cloth it may be paver -0, boat -0.
    When you buy fiber cloth, it's labeled as 1oz or 2oz etc. That is the weight of 1 square yard worth of fabric. Add in the resin to be roughly the same weight as a given piece of cloth. That is assuming excess resin is squeegeed out.

I think the piece on the bottom is about 1/3 of a square yard, and I'll use 1.5-2oz of mixed resin on the bottom. I think I'm going to use my leftover 3/4oz fabric for the top.

Dave - if you decide to glass your boat, youll have to remove all varnish/urethane because epoxy doesn't bond to it.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya If I do I will probably take the belt sander to it and re -surface it. Fortunately I have about 1/4" of solid wood to work with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bottom is glassed. First pic is before I laid the plastic sheeting over the wet resin:

Plastic sheeting laid over the resin. This gives a near-glass like finish. final finishing is a breeze.

I'll trim the excess fabric in about 30 minutes and let it cure overnight. Next I'll touch up any air bubbles and move to the top. I think I'm going to use 3/4oz cloth in the important areas and use resin alone in the rest of it. The bottom is what I was primarily concerned with, and the outside edges of the hull. I need to find a plastic film that wont stick to epoxy but is smooth all the way across. Using 1 or 2 pieces is a lot easier than 5 like I had to do this time.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave - Just an update if you're still thinking about glassing your hull.. I found a cure to your paver block problem... two words: Carbon Fiber. LoL. Maybe not, but using a medium weight cloth and a couple coats of epoxy will make it pretty tough.

My dry hull weight with servo tray but minus everything else was 2 pounds 7 ounces before, its 2 pounds 10 ounces now with 1 layer of 2oz cloth, and 2 coats of resin. I'm not using as much cloth on top, but I'm doing 2 coats of resin and putting polyurethane over the epoxy. I think the whole finish process may add 4-5oz overall.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More pictures... Top has a 1st coat of resin, and some cloth around the edges, and under the engine stand.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After hours and hours of coating, curing, coating, curing, coating, drying, etc. etc. etc. This is where its at now. Mostly done except for getting the rudder mounted, screwing the engine stand and radio box lid down, put the prop back on, and check/recheck all of the linkages.

I am super happy with it.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That turned out nice - I really like the accent stripes where the panels meet. very nice. Still amazed at how similar our boats turned out and hopefully they are both gunna be able to haul the mail.
    Too bad you still have a good month to wait for the lakes to turn liquid - I had a blast yesterday.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That turned out nice - I really like the accent stripes where the panels meet. very nice. Still amazed at how similar our boats turned out and hopefully they are both gunna be able to haul the mail.
    Too bad you still have a good month to wait for the lakes to turn liquid - I had a blast yesterday.
    I might slap an air rudder on my 3 pointer and try it in the snow. My kami's are water only. Too easy to punch holes in the plywood.

I need to make new sponsons and engine mount for the big hydro yet too. I want to get all 4 boats running this year.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my pair of Kamikazes side by side. The big one is a bit dusty... Guess that means its getting close to Airboat season!

If these pictures show up really big, reload the page. I think there's a funky cookie issue with this site and photobucket.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got around to getting a rudder & bracket fabbed up. I laminated strips of cherry together with epoxy, and I'll put two coats of epoxy finish resin over the top with a couple coats of polyurethane on top of that. The blade is brass, with small brass tubing soldered to the blade. I cut an aluminum "L" bracket for the pivot, with a 4-40 stainless setscrew to hold the pivot pin in place. I built a failsafe into the rudder in the event of a strike (fish, turtle, lily pads, other boats, etc..) that allows the blade to flip up approximately 50° or so. For testing of the failsafe, I was using 1/8" poplar dowel for the break-away pin. The other option is a nylon screw. The screw should break cleaner so I'll try it when the resin is cured.

Nothing like CNC'd billet aluminum, but it kinda goes with the 'motif'. The blade will get sharpened also..
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's an update to my contraption...

Rudder finished:

The rest of the odds and ends are done and this baby is RTR. On the scale she comes in at 5 pounds even without fuel. Not too shabby, and hopefully not too heavy to a) float and b) run out.
    Rear views of the rudder installed and hooked up. I get 45° of throw either side of neutral, and the breakaway gives me 45° of upward tilt should it hit a turtle or fish. (It happened to me once - hit a turtle and broke my plastic rudder blade on Big Bertha...) I made my own cable holders from thin aluminum sheet metal. The long one on the rudder cable is to keep it more rigid and reduce any possible cable buckling that might occur.

All I have left to do is break the engine in and give 'er hell.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good man! Question: Why is the rudder strut so long - I realize it probably has more leverage way back there... but why so far back ?
    First quality build there Tim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good man! Question: Why is the rudder strut so long - I realize it probably has more leverage way back there... but why so far back ?
    First quality build there Tim.
    I had problems with the big kami tracking funny with the rudder so close. Having the rudder farther back responds and tracks way better. My rudder strut only sticks off the transom about 4-4.5".
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put my Super Tigre S.29 on my test stand. I'm planning on getting off work early tomorrow and try to get the engine started on break-in. If I get half a gallon in it, the ring should be pretty well bedded in. I'll probably put 3/4 gallon through it before I tune the pipe.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been running the S.29 on my test stand breaking the ring in. First tank was ran super rich, about 8800rpm WOT. Second tank a little leaner, about 10,500rpm. Third tank leaner yet, topping out at roughly 11,500rpm. Still going to run 2-3 more tanks of fuel before I'll be happy enough to put it on the water. I want to make sure its broke in well enough to run it close to peak power and have a perfect transition. These Super Tigres are notorious for not throttling well until they are broke in well. I have grown to hate retrieving stalled boats from the middle of a 30 acre lake.

Part 1; Sloppy rich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQ39FDOtS4
    Part 2; Less sloppy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwL2PkjmkNs
    Part 3; Less sloppy yet: http://youtu.be/3LaxR42V_YM
    Part 4; Not quite peaked, 2640rpm idle, 15,200rpm top: http://youtu.be/qD6tqD2CaoU (65°F, low humidity, old break-in plug, old fuel from last summer)
    Fuel: 5% nitro, 20% castor, 75% methanol
    Plug: McCoy MC59 Long/Hot
    Prop: APC 9x5
    Temp: about 55°F with a light breeze and low humidity
    Exhaust: Macs full tuned pipe, untuned.

As of now, the engine has about 3.5 quarts through it. First 2qt was 5%N/25%O, remainder was 5%N/20%O

I put a new glow plug in it, and I'm going to mix up some fresh fuel and do one more final run on the test stand before I put it on the boat and let 'er rip. The engine sounds good and seems to be responding well. With more run-time and if I tune the pipe, it should be screaming pretty well.

edit: added last video.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engine is now ready to go on the boat. I'm comfortable its got enough run time on it now to behave well off the test stand. I'm keeping the engine roughly 700rpm rich of peak power just to give it a little extra lube. Transition is really nice and will get its good manners with more time.

Tuning the needle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO9qeRf7Ig
    Showing off how well an ST will transition with the stock carb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPcGVX-OI8
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mounted the engine back on the boat, sealed all of the motor mount brackets/rudder mount with silicone and checked the radio box for watertightness. SHE FLOATS AND the foam door sealant strips keep water out of the radio box. YAY!

Just waiting for all of the ice to melt on the ponds and its GAME ON!
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This week was a bit rough for me, as my wife got in a car accident the day I was going to test-run this boat. So, 1 new car later and getting off work early on a ncie sunny afternoon... What else does a guy do?

Test Run!! I took 3 videos, first 3 runs of the boat on the water. I'm still keeping the engine rich since its still pretty new. Top RPM was about 13,500 or so on a APC 9x5. Tuned pipe is un-tuned as I have to find the right prop for the boat. Once I do, I'll tune the pipe. There's a little force transfer issue at WOT I have to work out. The bow kinda digs in a little at full power. I think moving the engine back 1/4-3/8" should do the trick. I added a 4AA battery pack to the tail for ballast and it seemed to help a little, but not perfect. In a slight turn and full power it stays up just fine. Hitting its own wake doesnt phase it, and it turns like its on rails. Really sharp running boat - I'm really happy with it.

The videos are kinda fuzzy - the camera was mounted to my transmitter and couldn't focus fast enough. Sorry..

Very first maiden run: http://youtu.be/6rbXGn_rR7U
    Second run: http://youtu.be/rPl8K9Y9x0k
    Third run: http://youtu.be/75qXPf_XG48

I think I got it up to about 30mph, though there is plenty of room for improvement. The pipe isnt tuned and I was only using a 9x5 prop. I think an engine adjustment and a prop change and see what happens. I just cant believe how well it handles.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mikeup here your airboat with break-away rudder from pictures. I'm back, the cook came home from grocery store. The bracket for rudder must have a slot for the rudder to go into when you hit something. Ok, i think i see gold braid with with plastic to give wire strenght so it doesn't fold when used. the servo must be under the main cover and your setup is real smooth. I'm getting some ideas from your work. Thanks for pictures and videos. have a good day! I'm not good at explaining but do more mentally to keep the cobwebs out. LOL! I just saw your next posting and all falls in place. Just as i thought on braided cable. The plastic tubing reenforces the cable as [iano wire would not bend as far as braided wire and cause damage. No need to reply, you read my mind, thanks for the last picture. You airboats are a work of art!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Mikeup here your airboat with break-away rudder from pictures.
    I dont exactly know what you're asking.. Did you want to see a picture of the breakaway?

If so, here.. I use a metal screw and nut on top for the hinge, and the lower hole I use a nylon screw and nut. The nylon will break cleanly should I hit something.

If not... what did you mean?
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast