RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

4th boat build. Mini-Kaze Stepboat

Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4th boat build. Mini-Kaze Stepboat

Hey Tim,
Nice looking boat you have going there. You're so lucky to have a body of water with out a crowd around.
Did I see this right ?, in the second video...around .04 seconds in, after you placed the boat in the water,
I thought I seen a fish porpoise up at the right hand rear of the boat...may have been a leaf ???
Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfrog

Hey Tim,
Nice looking boat you have going there. You're so lucky to have a body of water with out a crowd around.
Did I see this right ?, in the second video...around .04 seconds in, after you placed the boat in the water,
I thought I seen a fish porpoise up at the right hand rear of the boat...may have been a leaf ???
Thanks, Roger. Its going out for its second flogging today. Made some mods, and see if that helps. Maybe GPS it even.

The last time I watched that video I saw that too. It was an oil droplet from the tuned pipe. The pipe hangs off the back of the boat a 4-5 inches and at slow speeds you see all kinds of little "fish eye" spots. Just castor oil. The only fish in the pond are big bullheads and some small mud minnows. Haven't seen any turtles or frogs yet.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Thanks for the picture of rudder. I haven't been myself since the first of the year since they fiund i had esophaus cancer and have had 2 chemo trips and tomorrow i have a chemo bag put on for 5 1/2 weeks and radiation every 5 days for 5 1/2 weeks. Sure takes the wind out of my sails. Chances are 1 out 10,, but never know. No crying towels but i'll make it. No repies please.-BTW i'll make a rudder close to what you have done.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

Thanks for the picture of rudder. I haven't been myself since the first of the year since they fiund i had esophaus cancer and have had 2 chemo trips and tomorrow i have a chemo bag put on for 5 1/2 weeks and radiation every 5 days for 5 1/2 weeks. Sure takes the wind out of my sails. Chances are 1 out 10,, but never know. No crying towels but i'll make it. No repies please.-BTW i'll make a rudder close to what you have done.
I can sort-of relate on the cancer bit. My Father in Law is being treated for Stage IIIA lung cancer. This battle has changed him in ways I never thought it could. And I went through some major surgeries 5 years ago to beat colon cancer. I got lucky and didnt need radiation or chemo though.

I wont linger on the subject, but I do wish you the best of luck in your treatment.

On the rudder... If the rudder strut was made of aluminum, it would be heavier and allow for a spring to be used to hold the rudder down (running through the body of the strut), whereas I dont have a mill so I used wood which is much easier to work with and the nylon screw works very very well. I ran 7-8 tanks of fuel through the boat on the water and havent had the breakaway kick in yet. I think if I hit a turtle close to the surface, the boat would flip before it would hit the breakaway. It does not ride very deep at all.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
dadkins

Looks like she runs good there Tim, very stable and controlled with nice turning, no pourposing, Just need to get that motor broke in and...a video camera that focuses ...And LET HER RIP.
I had the best intentions of getting out this weekend - but without a kayak or raft - Its was a little... risky - being my boat has not proven itself 100% reliable.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I have to shim the engine mount to get the prop angle better. At full power it's got a dig up front I can't get rid of. I'll do those mods this afternoon so I can test on Wednesday. I took the day off since its my birthday.

All I have to take videos is a Nikon cool pix. It's not a good video camera.

The boat handles like a dream. Needs to lose weight and if need be, my .46.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
dadkins

Dont you be switchin motors before we race - looks like I MIGHT have a chance now.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Dont you be switchin motors before we race - looks like I MIGHT have a chance now.
No worries. I won't switch engines until I get the prop angle figured out and tune the pipe. Tuning the pipe should give another 500-1000rpm over what I'm getting now. I'm going to mix up another fuel brew that should help make more power too. Though power is more than adequate for now.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I think I have determined my slight plowing problem. When I originally drew up the plans for this thing, I had the engine mount square to the rear deck and the rear deck was supposed to be parallel to the water's surface. Somehow, and I dont know exactly how it happened, but the prop angle is 3.5° above square. The other day I shimmed the engine up using .060" washers, and tried two on each side giving .120" of height in the back. Turns out 3 more .060" washers would have brought it level and probably ran better. So I'll cut some shims tomorrow, maybe 2 sets.. 1 set to make the engine level, and 1 set raising an additional 1-2° just for good measure. Hopefully this does the trick and allows a straight line drag race with some real speed.. I just will not settle for 25.6mph. I gotta get to at least 30mph. Then it would be as fast as the big kamikaze with the K&B .65 and 13x5APC.

Dave: to be fair, I'll leave the tuned pipe un-tuned for the race...
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 AM
dadkins

Hiya Tim. Happy Birthday !
Hope you get some good runs in today - I still have yet to put mine on the water - havn't even floated it in the bathtub! Dont even know if it floats! I'm sure it does Its made of foam...
I was thinking about bringing it to work and running during my lunch hour at Busch lake - but I have been riding my bike lately(motorcycle).
And then theres the lack of rescue boat + chilly water.... may have to buzz the shoreline ???
I saw 10' plastic kayak at Menards for like $300 - might serve dual purpose recreation and airboat rescue.red,blue,green or yellow.
We are going to have to start planning for the big race before you get that thing too dialed in.
When? Where?
Saturdays work best - then Sundays. Let me know.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Hiya Tim. Happy Birthday !
Hope you get some good runs in today - I still have yet to put mine on the water - havn't even floated it in the bathtub! Dont even know if it floats! I'm sure it does Its made of foam...
I was thinking about bringing it to work and running during my lunch hour at Busch lake - but I have been riding my bike lately(motorcycle).
And then theres the lack of rescue boat + chilly water.... may have to buzz the shoreline ???
I saw 10' plastic kayak at Menards for like $300 - might serve dual purpose recreation and airboat rescue.red,blue,green or yellow.
We are going to have to start planning for the big race before you get that thing too dialed in.
When? Where?
Saturdays work best - then Sundays. Let me know.
My wife and I are going up to her parents house on the lake, so this weekend is out. Maybe next weekend. I have a nice little pond I test at here in Cottage Grove, not too many people immediately close by, or at least any that complained. I think its just small enough to be able to get a fishing line out to it just in case.

I'll check with the Mrs. and see if there is anything planned next weekend. I will try to sneak out early today yet and test it out. I just put a coat of sealer on my motor mount shims, so as soon as they're dry, I can cut new screws and get it ready again.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
dadkins

Next weekend may not be that awesome for me as it is Easter the 8th and we have 16 people coming over for brunch, I'm not saying it won't work, it just kind of depends on how organized we are.
14th looks good. ?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM
dadkins

I have a Neighbor/friend that has a lake house right by me and speedboats are allowed - and a couple swim platforms we could race around.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

We can shoot for the 14th for now, that's cool. Unless something comes up or cancels. I have a few more mods to make to the boat anyway. This pond you speak of... I can run my wet rudder, right? its not too weedy? I didnt make any air rudders for it and probably wont either.

Tested it with the prop angle changed and it's still not quite perfect. Still digging in a little when running WOT in a straight. Changed a few other things and didnt make it any better, so I think I need a smaller prop with more pitch to get a few more rpm. Peaked out I'm getting about 16,000 on a 9x5. I can run too much nitro in my fuel because the engine isnt set up for more than 5% really. I tried 7% nitro and didnt see much of a difference in top end power, just made the midrange a little lean.

grr.. I'll keep messing with it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Dave - the lake plans this weekend may fall through now. Got anything going on this weekend?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
dadkins

Not much at all - Family has other commitments - This weekend might work good - do you have my cell # ? I think you do - look under RC Dave
Shoot me a text and well see if we can get out and do some racin !
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
dadkins

This time of year the lake is really clear - I actually have 3 choice spots within 2 miles of my house with 2 being electric motors only
but I have NEVER taken any heat over running at either of them.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

This time of year the lake is really clear - I actually have 3 choice spots within 2 miles of my house with 2 being electric motors only
but I have NEVER taken any heat over running at either of them.
Looks like tomorrow would be the day. The wife wants to do some spring cleaning around the house. I'll text ya later when I'm home.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
dadkins

Tomorrow works good for me - Wife works all day -I do have a company party at 7 - so I would probably have to wrap it up around 5ish - go home and wash the nitro off.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Since I've been in the process of testing and debugging my Kamikaze stepboat, I decided to make a (sloppy) tray that can be adjusted and/or removed to hold the GPS. I made a few mods to the radio box to lighten it. I shaved about .8oz off the bow's weight, which isnt much. The boat balances very nicely with the GPS on-board, but I'll have to see how well the mods work today. Going out to run her today against Dadkins' custom built .40 flat bottom boat... We'll see what happens there...

Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Altered1

How did You and Dadkins go ? did you got some more video?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 AM
dadkins

I went pretty good - we both have a bit of dialing in to do. To sum it up Mine is too loose and somewhat uncontrolled - and the Mini Kazi is too tight - just pinned to the water with ultimate control. We werent really able to race as my boat was kinda hard to control, and the bouys that were there -one was a boat bumper that flipped my boat and would surely take tims rudder out.This was actually my maiden on water and it has some sorting out to do.I do have some good video -but I have never tried to uplode to Youtube before.
I may give that a try at home tonight.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You'll have to upload what you have, Dave. My memory card didn't have any videos on it.

I bought a pair of hitec HS82mg servos which I hope is enough torque. Will find out. This will save me 2.6oz minimum.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
dadkins

Hey Tim,
I was trying to upload the vids to my computer last night and it looks like I had my camera set up wrong - The good News - all the videos are there - the bad news - they recorded in the internal built in memory - the other bad news - I havn't had the greatest success uploading to youtube in the past - It has been a while and I will try again tonight.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Well, after our run on Saturday, I decided a few more mods were necessary. I picked up a pair of hitec 82mg servos which are much lighter than the 645mg servos I have in it now. The servo tray originally made for the boat weighed just a smudge over 6oz with all mounting screws. My new tray with the lighter servos is coming in at 3.75oz. A good improvement in frontal weight, so hopefully this will help get the minikaze moving. New pics will come later. The new servos have less torque, but are significantly faster. Hopefully this mod alone does the trick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.