Triceptor 1 Engine Upgrade

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Triceptor 1 Engine Upgrade

Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
albietz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triceptor 1 Engine Upgrade

Hey guys, I am looking for some opinions on this. Back in the late '90's when I was in highshcool I purchased a boat called the Triceptor 1. It's a fiberglass airboat with a hydroplane hull. The image is below.After being stored in a box for around 25yrs, I would like to get it out on the water. Ifrankly don't remember how well this boat ran since it was so long ago and Iwas still pretty young. In any case the boat is in good condition with the exception of the engine (0.46 made by Royal) which needs to be replaced or repaired. Idon't know enough about the engine to fix it, and I'm not sure I could even get parts for it anyway. I was looking into purchasing a 0.46AX from OS Engines and came across a 0.55AX engine that would also fit the mounting bracket. Does anyone have an opinion as to if it would be worth upgrading to the larger engine? The cost difference is minimal. The recommended prop size for the larger engine is12x7-8, 13x6-7,whereas the size for the0.46AX is10.5x6, 11x6-8, 12x6-7.Withouth modification, the largest prop you can fit on this boat is a 10" due to the proximity of the deck. Maybe an 11" prop. could be put on easily with addition of a 1/4 to 1/2" spacer between the engine and engine mount. I guess I could also play the game of switching to 3 or 4 blade props with the larger engine, but I'm not sure this upgrade is worth it and the selection of props with more blades is limited compared to the 2 blade propse. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37867.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1797207  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Altered1

Default RE: Triceptor 1 Engine Upgrade

Glow engines are usually fairly simple things.  Unless there was something drastically wrong with it, it may just need a new set of bearings, a glow plug and a cleanout - bearings will be standard sizes.  There are several posts on this in the glow engine thread. 

If you really want to put a new engine on her, a cheaper option may be to fit a ASP/Magnum chinese engine - new for about $50 US.  this would be my recommendation if you are not sure how that Hull ran, and you just want to get her out and going again. 

I've got a ASP .52 2stroke on my airboat, and she runs well on a 12x6.  She'd scream on a 10.

That hull does look promising!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

First and foremost, OS is overpriced and oversold. If you want a *Good* reliable and less expensive engine, get a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. It's an OS SF clone but more powerful than the SF. The nickel plating doesn't peel on the TT like it does in the OS either. With a $60 Jettstream muffler, it'll wake up 1000-1500rpm over the stock muffler.

Asp and Magnum is another option, but quality control is hit and miss.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
albietz

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll take a look at that glow engine thread and see what I can figure out.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM
dadkins

Ya the prop that is on there looks like about all you can fit. I would try and get that old motor running again - vintage = cool.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Ya the prop that is on there looks like about all you can fit. I would try and get that old motor running again - vintage = cool.
Royal's were not known to be powerhouses. A TT Pro will outpower the Royal by a good margin. Royal was at one time made by Thunder Tiger, and later by Leo. It is a clone of an OS FSR, which is a little down on power when compared to an OS SF/TT Pro. They dont have very good bearings inside, so if it were to be made to run again, you'd want to replace the bearings. If that Royal is ABC and still has decent compression when warm, then I'd replace the bearings and run it for now. If its ringed by chance, a new ring could be had from Frank Bowman for about $11.

OR if you want an engine that will run forever (literally), you could trade in that Royal engine on a brand new Fox engine for 1/2 off the retail price. The big-case Fox .45/.46 engines are quite strong and worth the money. They may be less desirable looking, but they make up for it in power. Plus they're made in the USA!