Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what size prop should i use

hello all..i am building a 30in long 15in wide with a 40 motor...airboat..what sise prop should i use...one more question..if i put the fuel tank under the motor will it have enough vac to run the fuel to the motor..thanks for the help rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: what size prop should i use

The same rules for fuel tank placement as in planes....  You can probably get away with the tank a few inches below the carb, but it just makes one less thing to worry about if the tank is inline with the carb. (I've seen guys with a 6 inch drop to the tank, and they have no probs... but others do....)

For the prop - again, as a starting point,  go with a prop recommended for the engine in a plane, and start from there.  You are probably going to need to try a few different ones, going up or down an inch or two, and in and out in pitch will make a marked difference, and each boat is different.  Get a few different ones and see what works for your particular boat. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: what size prop should i use

Put the fuel tank behind the engine using the tank rule. Center of tank lining up with the spraybar in the carburetor. Otherwise you will need a regulator to have reliable operation. Prop sizes, 9x6, 9x7, 9x8, 10x4, 10x5, 10x6 are good sizes. I run a 9x7 on a .46 myself.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything.