Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Build 6: SI3 Hydro .60/.90 size

Building this out of 3/16" Birch 5-ply, 1/8" Carmelized Maple 3-ply, a little balsa and liteply for bulkheads & skin support. Engine mount is still on the drawing board, but will allow for 2-3 inches of engine movement fore/aft. Planning around 12" diameter props, 3" rudder, and hopefully it won't weigh a ton.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Build 6: SI3 Hydro .60/.90 size

Brushless Electric?
    After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Brushless Electric?
    Oh god no. It will start life with a .90 glow, but a high revving .60 or .90 isn't out of the question.

It would cost too much to get into electrics, and I can't stand them either.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now you got the taste
    What brand of motor you will use?OS,ASP,TT??
    Be happy is to stop being a victim and becoming an author of the history itself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: carlosam

Now you got the taste
    What brand of motor you will use?OS,ASP,TT??
    I have three engines that share the same mount and thus get tested with. Main powerplant is a SuperTigre S90 on steroids, the "experiments" are a K&B Sportster .65 or Enya 60-4C. I haven't seen a 4-stroke SI3 yet... I'll try almost anything once.

I have a few parts left to cut out and pre-fit, and get the engine mount sorted out. Then I can start doing the finish sanding and start assembling. I think I may use a radial engine mount and braze together an aluminum "saw horse" mount of sorts. I did some experiments with "Alumaweld" and I was very impressed; the aluminum brazing rods from Tractor Supply sucked. Did not bond hardly at all.

The steroids I'm putting the engine on is a bigger carb and a Jett muffler. Hoping to get 15k on a 12x6, stock carb/muffler it turns 13,600rpm. I do not own OS, and haven't gotten a decent revving .61 yet.

I'm stuck working all weekend, and putting my full size boat in storage. Next year I'm going to drag race my SI's against my fishing boat.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not pictured but cut out is the radio box. Just testing the engine mount I cut out. I have a little more to do to get the engine mount mounted and mocked up.

More to come later...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine mount is near finished. I have about 2-2 1/4" of overall movement of the entire engine mount as it is right now. I can add in another 1/2-3/4" if needed.

Now all thats left before I start epoxying the hull together is route the control cables, put a finished edge on the outside of the hull, and sand it. I have a pretty rad idea with this one.. More progress to come...
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally took a little time yesterday to get my epoxy hands fired up. Sponsons are roughly assembled, need to be sanded flat and add in a bulkhead or two. Top deck needs to be sanded and have the tub stringers glued in. To avoid any delamination of the plywood, I ripped down some white oak and made some thin trim pieces to border the outside edge of the top deck. I carefully curved the two front pieces using boiling water, a cookie jar, and some giant zipties. Worked awesome. Originally, I was going to use some apple wood or pear wood I recently cut down from my parents yard, but being wet/green still, I didnt want it to shrink too much and I really dont want to wait 6 months for it to dry. I had some kiln dried oak and cherry, but the cherry doesnt curve as nicely as the oak did. Drying wood too fast usually causes more checks (cracks/splits) so using the oven to dry the wood was out of the question.

Progress so far:

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spent a little time getting some work done on the curled SI3. So far, the assembly is straightening the deck out. I'm almost ready to skin the bottom, and there's a little work left in the radio box. The hull already balances really nicely, so I think I'll have another custom home run. More good photos to follow the fiberglass curing in the tub.

Radio box:

Rudder (breakaway screw will be replaced with a nylon screw):
    Center tub 'glass down:

I have some turn fins to make yet as well. I'm going to use two fins on the big one and one fin on the little one.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bottom is ready for skin. Ruler is 18" long as reference. I think overall length ended up being about 30.5".

Better picture of my rudder assembly. It's not totally done yet, it still needs an epoxy bath.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some progress has been made on this thing..
    Skin is on, Radio gear is almost done, and getting some resin down is coming soon. Hope to have this ready by the end of the month (and before the baby comes!).

The little tail on the trailing edge of the sponson is an experiment, hoping to reduce the wetted surface on the sponsons a little more maybe. If they prove pointless or negate performance, I'll cut them off.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its finally done. It looks pretty good, IMO. Everything is buttoned up and ready to run. Hoping to get it out on a thawed lake or pond very soon!

Everything is adjusted, mounted, tightened, locktited, waterproofed, etc. It should run well.

Big honkin' Jettstream muffler!

Turn fin:

Without fuel (16oz tank), its a little nose heavy. I set it up this way intentionally; It should balance level with a full tank of fuel. If not, I can shift the engine forward more if needed.

Both of my SI3's side by side... the little one is tiny compared to the big one...

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made the engine mount a little too light-weight... When I ran the engine for the first time, the engine and fuel tank vibrated pretty bad. So bad the fuel tank looked like green cool whip. So I toughened it up. It's super tight now, just need to test run it again. Hoping to get it on the water for a maiden this weekend.

GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maiden run! It ran pretty well, despite hitting a turtle and taking out the turn fin bracket. Overall I'm happy with it.

http://youtu.be/Nv3cABdj9xg
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3