Reload this Page >

Anyone know what this is? Ice boat?

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Anyone know what this is? Ice boat?

Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Johnk71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know what this is? Ice boat?

nice video! was the snow powder? Also, letting the skis cool is the key, warm skis lump up and thus create friction.  I put mine on Ice right after I get it out of the truck cab and started, -2 and that engine doesn't/ wont start. also the curve of the front ski needs to be balanced with the weight? its trial and error. Plus turing might be an issue at higher speeds.... On another note what size prop do you have?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The snow was powder and that could be some of the problem. The curve on the front of the ski only lips up about an inch so it probably needs more lip. It was trying to dig in and the engine didnt have enough power to plow thru it.

You are absolutely right about the engine not wanting to start in the cold. My arm is killing me today flipping it over since my starter battery was dead and the charger dont work. I started out with an 11-4 or 11-5 on it. I went to change the prop and cracked the prop driver so I have to order one. Hopefully if I fix the skis the engine will have enough power to push it. It will be a lot of hacking to change to a bigger engine. Time is running out for this winter and soon I will have to get back to my planes.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Johnk71

Yep, I have the same prop! That thing will move out with the right skis. You know, if you have the right base, and it looks like your rudder is spot on in size, you wouldn't need an additional steering servo, your rudder will do. You could simply use (large) adult skis OR by an inexpensive sled. It wont look as nice(maybe), but it will allow you to run in powder and provide steerage along with stability while turning. Yesterday my "Zombie" again went airborne! it turns very well at high speed (25-30mph) But will take flight in a straightaway at full throttle. Keep in mind my Zombie weights 10.8lbs with an empty tank.... I can send more pics of the sled and how its mounted if you wont?

Just trying to help. Oh and my arm is also killing me! On another note: Does your engine ever start in reverse? Mine will in cold weather...... Odd I guess....    
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
dasquirrelisme

I wasnt sure what the right prop would be. I figured I would need more torque than speed so I started with the 11-4. I had to steal a high torque servo from one of planes for the back ski because its swings a lot of weight, so if the rudder works fine I wont have to buy another expensive servo to replace. I have a plan for some different skis I am going to start on tonight and if they dont work I might try to do something with the sled. I think the small lip on the skis I have tend to dig under the snow rather than lifting it up onto it.

The engine was a real pain. My tank might be mounted a little high so it was flooding on me. It was starting in reverse but if you feather the throttle back and forth alittle it usually starts running in the right direction. My arm is needing some rest. I am a stone mason so holding my trowel today made me miserable. I am getting my starter fixed!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change your starter batteries to 4s lipo. You can thank me later
That thing is too koo for skoo!
You really need a lake or crunchy cold snow to see what she will do.
Have you thought of using an aluminum spinner? Plastic doesn't like cold.

Your wife kills me sitting in the car!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, you will want firmer snow to get some speed, I assume you don't want to build larger skis. And find a site with more room, that's a pretty short area for run up. Too, try waxing the skis, that can make a big difference. When a ski runs on snow it melts the surface, which can freeze to the ski and add a lot of drag. Check with any cross-country ski shop, they'll help you choose a good wax. Once you find a firm surface to run on I'd try an APC 10x6 prop, that always worked best on my .45-powered air boats.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
dasquirrelisme

Actually the field is alot bigger but it kept getting stuck and I couldnt get it to go more than 40 ft. The skis would probably be fine on a frozen lake but not the snow. New ones are in the works and I am listening to all of your advice.

The wife wasnt in the truck the whole time.Her fingers were just about ready to fall off. She is awesome for putting up with my madness.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Johnk71

look at some of my PIC's in my Gallery... might help....
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Johnk71

Also, if you have a cordless drill, you can make a home made spinner..... I uploaded the pics in my gallery....
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 AM
vicman

She is awesome for putting up with my madness.
All of them are!

When you get that thing hooked up yer going to need a new bejeesus cause the old one will be blown away. Stay with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM
dasquirrelisme

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. Its easy to give up on something like this and helps alot with you guys pushing me along.

I scored 2 pairs of skis at the goodwill for $13. Heading out to the garage to cut them babies up and see how I am going to mount them. The front curve is about 3 inches so they should be alot better. They have also been waxed up recently so should be smooth on the snow. We have about 4 inches of snow right now but weather is going to warm up this week so I might have to wait for next round.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Johnk71

surface area is the key... don't worry about tapping a drift. the new skis are soft and washers will push their way in with the head of the screw.... Longer is better! For hard pack snow... no turning servo needed....  I wish I could send you a video of my Zombie.... It moves!

Send pIC's of what you are doing.... please....
Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
dasquirrelisme

I will get some pics tomorrow. I cut about 22-24" off the front of the ski for the front skis and the back ski will be about 14". I have the fronts ready to go after I fuel/water proof the wooden brackets I made. The rear ski shouldnt take long. Should I angle the front skis up just a tad?maybe a 1/4 inch or so?

Right now I am trying to locate a drive washer for the engine. Everyone is backordered and I am hoping one of my flying buddies has an extra one. The cold makes things brittle.

Oh get some video. I would love to see it go.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Johnk71

I was just out back and my neighbor, who I hardly see, came over to see what I was playing with... After he ran out a full tank he had some ideas.. He is a "Rocket Scientist" ... that's why he is never home. So, he has some ideas with making a sled out of foam, sloping the edges (left, right and bow) cutting a groove out of the center and making the base longer....covering the bottom with something he has at work and then balancing it so it doesn't take flight..... I am so happy! Giggity!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
vicman

He is a "Rocket Scientist" ... that's why he is never home.
For the rest of the country, "Rocket Scientist" in Michigan is not the same as one in Houston.[X(]
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Johnk71

Nice! Lets see your Ice "Rocket!"........ Ha Ha....
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
vicman

Glad you got the joke, fwiw I am born and bred "Pure Michigan"
While we don't have any ice down here to play on how is this for rocket power?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74858.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1849025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1849026  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hehehe, I'm from Houston and this photo was taken right after I set a new FE speed record.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
dasquirrelisme

Looks like everyone is getting onery up in here. All the snow melted today along with my motivation. Guess I should go mount the skis back on.

I had another guy mention something about making one out of foam. Seems like it could work out good with the right design.

Hey Vic how fast do those rocket cars go? They look like they could be fun (and dangerous).
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
vicman

No idea but they are a blast!
They were great projects with my kids. They liked building them, the neighbors were intrigued when we lit them off.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Johnk71

Very nice Vic! I have never seen anything like that? Rocket On! I would like one but I have no place to run it.....

Hey RPM, how fast did that boat go?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM
dasquirrelisme

Well skis are back on and ready to go. My buddy had the washer for the engine and just need to balance a new prop. Not really any snow in the forecast for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44646.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1850509  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Johnk71

very nice! I took the Zombie out yesterday and had a blast. I uploaded a video to YouTube at http://youtu.be/-oay6Erw6kM

But it says its still loading??
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Johnk71

here is another link to the Zombie...

http://youtu.be/9muW0CRVAco
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Johnk71

Hey RPM, How fast did it go?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.