Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Cable

Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
papaw14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable

Would anyone know the length of the steering and throttle cables on a Tempest airboat ? I need to know because I want to repair the boat when I visit them as a surprise.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM
carlosam

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cable

ORIGINAL: papaw14

Would anyone know the length of the steering and throttle cables on a Tempest airboat ? I need to know because I want to repair the boat when I visit them as a surprise.

Thank you very much.

I think a little difficult to know the exact measurement.

If someone has an airboat equal to his and can disassemble to measure, can help you.

My suggestion is to use "music wire" or "welding wire" equal to or less than 0078. "

For the engine throttle, my suggestion is to use a bicycle brake cable.

I have a copy of that manual saved on the internet if you want, send me PM with your email. (The manual has no measures)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
dadkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the LHS (local hobby store) and purchase some golden rods or pianno wire and fabricate them to length. EASY !
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM
carlosam

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Go to the LHS (local hobby store) and purchase some golden rods or pianno wire and fabricate them to length. EASY !
Yes, is very easy
bike shop resolves the problem

to the engine throttle

for the rudder
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Bike cables are way too heavy. Dadkins is dead on. Sullivan or Dubro control cables/rods work fantastic. I use the semi-flex sullivan cables, I think the cable dia. is .056". Works fine for throttle or rudder.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM
carlosam

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Bike cables are way too heavy. Dadkins is dead on. Sullivan or Dubro control cables/rods work fantastic. I use the semi-flex sullivan cables, I think the cable dia. is .056''. Works fine for throttle or rudder.
Use wire radius stainless steel bike is bad?
Bicycle brake cable is rigid?
Have you weighed the two?
I have my airboat with flex brake bike, is mounted already 5 years ago and had no problems so far, and it's not heavier, it has 1 mm.
Buy for the price of a chocolate
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: carlosam

Bike cables are way too heavy. Dadkins is dead on. Sullivan or Dubro control cables/rods work fantastic. I use the semi-flex sullivan cables, I think the cable dia. is .056''. Works fine for throttle or rudder.
I have my airboat with flex brake bike, is mounted already 5 years ago and had no problems so far, and it's not heavier, it has 1 mm.
Yes, I did weigh a bike shift cable from a mountain bike. The length was a few inches shorter than a 4 foot Sullivan .056" cable and sheath. Survey says golden cable = 17g, bike cable = 67g. Braided stainless steel cable, sheath was plastic coated steel. I try to build as light as possible. I have a very hard time believing that even the cheapest of cheap bike cables to be anywhere near as light as a flexible Sullivan cable.

This is not to say a bike cable wouldn't work, but that it is much heavier than it needs to be. As far as cost, a Sullivan cable will cost you about $8 USD for a 4 foot cable, a Dubro cable is about half that at around $4USD.

So, I'm not picking in you... Just showing that just because it works doesn't mean there isn't a better option.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
carlosam

Yes, I did weigh a bike shift cable from a mountain bike. The length was a few inches shorter than a 4 foot Sullivan .056'' cable and sheath. Survey says golden cable = 17g, bike cable = 67g. Braided stainless steel cable, sheath was plastic coated steel. I try to build as light as possible. I have a very hard time believing that even the cheapest of cheap bike cables to be anywhere near as light as a flexible Sullivan cable.

This is not to say a bike cable wouldn't work, but that it is much heavier than it needs to be. As far as cost, a Sullivan cable will cost you about $8 USD for a 4 foot cable, a Dubro cable is about half that at around $4USD.

So, I'm not picking in you... Just showing that just because it works doesn't mean there isn't a better option.
Bicycle brake cable is around 2 meters, go handlebar until the rear wheel
Everything is a matter of good sense.
There is a conduit "in the tempest" to pass the flexible cable to the throttle cable and rigid for the rudder.
The important thing is that they are not, neither too loose nor too tight.
If using flexible cable bike complete with conduit, course will be heavier because of the coating of conduit.
Now a cable simply "wire wound", which is of steel, both sulivam as the bicycle 1 mm diameter will weigh the same.(Specific weight of the material)
Bicycle use the radius to the conduit of the rudder and the boat is also a matter of common sense, if goes use mountain bike, speed bike, or motorcycle must pass by without much slack conduit ..
There are several dimensions and the bike shop if you want 2 pieces only the seller gives you free .
see website http://www.spinlitecycling.com/spokes.htm
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yes, I did weigh a bike shift cable from a mountain bike. The length was a few inches shorter than a 4 foot Sullivan .056'' cable and sheath. Survey says golden cable = 17g, bike cable = 67g. Braided stainless steel cable, sheath was plastic coated steel. I try to build as light as possible. I have a very hard time believing that even the cheapest of cheap bike cables to be anywhere near as light as a flexible Sullivan cable.

There is a conduit ''in the tempest'' to pass the flexible cable to the throttle cable and rigid for the rudder.
If using flexible cable bike complete with conduit, course will be heavier because of the coating of conduit.
Now a cable simply ''wire wound'', which is of steel, both sulivam as the bicycle 1 mm diameter will weigh the same.(Specific weight of the material)
Bicycle use the radius to the conduit of the rudder and the boat is also a matter of common sense, if goes use mountain bike, speed bike, or motorcycle must pass by without much slack conduit ..
There are several dimensions and the bike shop if you want 2 pieces only the seller gives you free .
To any who read this: use a bike cable if you want to. I don't care. Btw: try soldering quick links to a stainless cable.

I like to use Sullivan cables for a number of reasons. Weight, non-rusting, easily installed, can be lengthened with brass tube and solder, etc.

Use what you like and what you're willing to pay for.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
carlosam

There is a conduit ''in the tempest'' to pass the flexible cable to the throttle cable and rigid for the rudder.
Now a cable simply ''wire wound'', which is of steel, both sulivam as the bicycle 1 mm diameter will weigh the same.(Specific weight of the material)
To any who read this: use a bike cable if you want to. I don't care. Btw: try soldering quick links to a stainless cable.

I like to use Sullivan cables for a number of reasons. Weight, non-rusting, easily installed, can be lengthened with brass tube and solder, etc.

Use what you like and what you're willing to pay for.
I gave the suggestion that I use and many people use, and you say that is because heavier.
It could have just given your suggestion, and meant that I reported something heavier when it was not.

Where the same stainless steel compared with Sulivan have different weights.
To enter the conduit, has to have the same measure and anyone knows, even my grandson 10 years know.

The bike brake cable here does not rust, rust if there is quality problem.
Use whatever you want, give your suggestion that I do not care, now do not question or criticize my not knowing.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Carlosam- I didn't say you use a bike cable because it's heavier. I just noted, at least in my part of the world, that bike brake and shift cables are heavier than a typical purpose-made control cable by a large margin. I never accused you of not knowing what you're talking about. I am merely typing from my own experiences.

If bike cables work for you, more power to you. I'm not knocking you for your choice of building materials. I just consider weight a large factor in my builds and 17 grams for a 4 foot cable is just over half ounce. If there is a bike cable that costs less than $8USD that weighs close to 17 grams that's about the same length, post a link. Soldering stainless steel is nearly impossible, so any typical clevises or quick links will not solder to or thread onto stainless. I'm not a fan of the clamp type connectors.

Like I said before, I wasn't picking on you. Evidently Brazil has incredibly lighter bicycle cables than we have in the USA.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
carlosam

Carlosam- I didn't say you use a bike cable because it's heavier. I just noted, at least in my part of the world, that bike brake and shift cables are heavier than a typical purpose-made control cable by a large margin. I never accused you of not knowing what you're talking about. I am merely typing from my own experiences.

If bike cables work for you, more power to you. I'm not knocking you for your choice of building materials. I just consider weight a large factor in my builds and 17 grams for a 4 foot cable is just over half ounce. If there is a bike cable that costs less than $8USD that weighs close to 17 grams that's about the same length, post a link. Soldering stainless steel is nearly impossible, so any typical clevises or quick links will not solder to or thread onto stainless. I'm not a fan of the clamp type connectors.

Like I said before, I wasn't picking on you. Evidently Brazil has incredibly lighter bicycle cables than we have in the USA.
No use knock on the same key that will not lead to anything.
If we have a conduit for passage of a cable or wire that are usually stainless steel or steel, and we need it passes the fairest possible with a minimum gap and sliding, no matter from sullivan, Dubro or bike will weigh the same .
Furthermore a speedboat with 2.6 kg have a difference of 10 grams relative to the weight of this cable, which will influence this weight.
What I said is that I use a bicycle cable and does not rust, and you said that there rusts then said to be quality problem.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Parar com as questões de ego e voltar ao tópico. Obrigado

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'm going to say there is a slight error in translation here, a language barrier if you will, Carlo. I'll lead myself out with that I will agree to disagree (partly).