Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Scratchbuilt Airboat on ice (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
MdniteToker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratchbuilt Airboat on ice (video)

So I was kinda bored with all the snow and cold over here in Norway.
Had an idea of building a airboat for the fresh powder snow, but also something we could use on a large frozen pond outside my friends house.
Used a sheet of Polyurethane foam to cut out the main hull, and the rudder etc.
And just started hotgluing the pieces together. Some reinforcements on the motormount and I had a prototype (of sorts)
It's been rebuildt a couple of times, mostly due to aerodynamics and the shape of the rudder..
I used a raincoat to make the latest addition for the cover underneath. Really slides well on the snow and ice.
But I'm really happy with the way it handles now, and so I think maybe a layer of polyester and Gelcoat will be next. And that will be the final layer, also making the replacement for the current ductape on top

Running a Turnigy 1200 kv motor, 35A ESC and 3s 2200mah Nano tech.
8x8 slowflyer prop in the video, but I'm gonna change to a 10" prop for more thrust.
Anywho.. Put on a Gopro and got some footage with some of the other toys on the ice.
Be sure to check out the EDF Hovercraft.. Never really knew where to use it, until we tried it on the ice!! 3s -2200mah and it flips in highspeed!
It actually does a barrelroll in the video

www.youtube.com/watch
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Altered1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratchbuilt Airboat on ice (video)

That's what it's all about!  Nice one

I don't think I'd like to do a swim to retrieve a flipped model though!  Brrrrrrrrrrr!