RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

depron foam repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM
yellowufo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default depron foam repair

Hey all another aero drifter update

If anyone took a look at my videos you saw how tis lightweight airboat will go anywhere drifting this on asphalt
is fun but the bottom gets nice dings gouges and scraps, without the packing tape i would have ground through the hull...

To fix depron i boiled water and ran the hull over the steam 99 percent of the rash was gone.

So steam is the key for this foam
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM
dadkins

Default RE: depron foam repair

Interesting. Ya I used to build foam only hulls for my little .15 - water only - but eventually they would get all kinds of dings and really didn't last very long - but with that minimal weight they had fantastic hole shot.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Interesting. Ya I used to build foam only hulls for my little .15 - water only - but eventually they would get all kinds of dings and really didn't last very long - but with that minimal weight they had fantastic hole shot.
I've been reading this thread, just in case I need to repair foam. I now have a little .10 engine now so a little foamy is in order...

Dave - we will have to attempt a rematch on the boat drag race this coming season. I got another new engine that has me all excited.

p.s. I did a job on the same lake your buddy has his cabin on. Drove past it and recognized the house. We may need your kayak again, too.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
dadkins

Hiya Tim,
I ended up selling my OS.15 as I could never get a consistent needle on it - It had this little drum you turn on the carb and was really hard and dangerous to tune while running. I have a throttled .049 and some micro servos off a helicoper and a 1' hunk of foam -that might be a nice little build.
Ya I took my boat out Saturday on the snow and... had a hard time going slow enough to not flip it...I think I stripped my steering servo gear on one particulary gnarly blow over. Might be time to put the front wing on and sacrifice a little speed.
Cold weather brings out the best in that little Thunder Tiger.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
yellowufo

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: dadkins

I've been reading this thread, just in case I need to repair foam. I now have a little .10 engine now so a little foamy is in order...

Dave - we will have to attempt a rematch on the boat drag race this coming season. I got another new engine that has me all excited.

p.s. I did a job on the same lake your buddy has his cabin on. Drove past it and recognized the house. We may need your kayak again, too.

Not all foam responds the same way to steam as depron does.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
dadkins

Is Depron the pink or blue foam?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
yellowufo

[quote]ORIGINAL: dadkins

Is Depron the pink or blue foam?
[/