Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

How much engine do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
rash_powder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much engine do I need?

I am looking to build my first airboat. Been lurking and reading off and on for years now, and finally getting to where I think I should do it. The boat is going to be about 20" x 40" with a flat bottom. I'm pretty sure I have all the details of the build worked out in my head, but I am not sure how big of an engine I will need. I am looking to use a 3 blade 16"x10 pusher propeller. First I am going to get the engine, mod what I need to on that and build the boat around the mounting needs of the engine. It just seems smarter/easier to go engine first. So, knowing I am looking to use the 16x10 pusher, would a 30.1cc Echo chainsaw engine be enough? I have found one locally for $50. The propeller is @ Tower hobbies, they only offer a 16" 3 blade. If 30.1cc isn't big enough, what size should I look for? Would getting a pipe for the engine help any or no? I know the tuned pipes help a lot on my Baja and make the race boat motors scream. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Altered1

I would get your engine sorted, then by the sound of it, you are going to have to mod it for use with a prop. Get that done first, and then we can sort out a prop. Check the Gas engine conversion thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/

Your hull size is about the same size as my body board builds. I run a .60 and a .52 glow engines on 10 - 12 inch props. My second hull has a 25cc Homelite conversion, spinning a 18 x 6 prop. All work fine.

Good luck with the build
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 AM
DJLaPalme

An Echo 30.1cc engine should be more than enough power. You need to check the rotation of the engine because as far as I know chain saw engines turn cw not ccw like most engines. That is actually a good thing because you can use regular tractor props instead of just pushers, which have a limited selection. Only use nylon, or plastic props. Wood will chip and fly apart in time. I have not used carbon fiber props but they should work too, they just cost a lot more. Dennis