Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

prop cage materials

Hey all im looking for some light weight tubing to make a prop cage weight IS an issue my last hoop to protect a bigger prop i installed was made from old 22cal cleaning rods and they worked great.. i would like something i can solder to....any ideas?????

Thanks Jim...
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowufo View Post
    Hey all im looking for some light weight tubing to make a prop cage weight IS an issue my last hoop to protect a bigger prop i installed was made from old 22cal cleaning rods and they worked great.. i would like something i can solder to....any ideas?????

Thanks Jim...
    I dont know if it can be soldered to or not, but I know NAPA auto parts used to carry brake line in long chunks that could be bent easily. The smaller the tubing the easier it is to bend. BUT like I said, I dont know if solder will stick, or if a good solder is going to hold it unless you spend the big $$$ and get some silver solder and silver solder flux. If you have access to a MAPP gas torch, you could probably use some Brazing rod and Braze the joints instead of soldering. It will be much stronger and last a lot longer. This would be worth the $50 for the torch kit IMO.

Personally, I think prop cages are overrated though.. =D
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Right now i have a loop roll bar like the old sprint cars. Without it the whole tower gets ripped off in a flip lol.. being foam repair is easy but i hate to trash a prop
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What kind of props are you using that get trashed from a flip? I've never broken a prop from flipping. My hulls are wood and quite sturdy though. How are you mounting the engine/motor mount to the hull?

As for the prop cage, I'd invest in a tubing cutter and get the longest 1/4" O.D brake lines you can and cut/bend as needed. Braze the joints and be on your way. You could use solid steel wire as well, but I think the tubing will be stronger.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My rig can run on pavement it is foam very light
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You shouldn't flip your boat on dry ground..
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lol
    Last edited by yellowufo; 08-15-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Check out model aeros surface drifter.....
    Jim