noisy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default epoxy resin advice

hi looking to paint my boat in epoxy resin..i have done this before with great results..i thinned the resin with rubbing alcahol for easy application..but i have been told i can add some colored dye to the mix for a better result..can anybody tell what sort of dye i am looking for..this sounds like a great idea...any help much appreciated..regards bob
Old 12-01-2013, 11:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some paint shops have dyes that work with epoxy resins. If you can find an alcohol based dye, that would work best. Otherwise you can coat the hull with clear epoxy and paint after.

Some advice on which resin to use - don't thin out regular 15-30 minute resin, get finishing resin. Finishing resin works much better because its thin (viscosity) already. If you warm the resin up, it spreads even better. I use this for fiberglassing and sealing the hull. Pacer Z-poxy is what I normally use but Bob Smith Industries makes a good finishing resin also.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:41 PM
rcairboater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/adding-pigments-to-epoxy/
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've added Rit powder dye to epoxy and it worked well. I don't know if it holds up to UV light or not as I've only done this in tests to see what happens and haven't used it in a finish on an actual working model yet.

You can buy epoxy dyes from any place that sells composites. I bought several colors from Aerospace composites. It counts as part of the Resin (Part A) so add it and then measure out Part B. It takes very little.

http://www.acpsales.com/Epoxy-Pigment-Paste.html
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too much dye will affect the bond/adhesion of the epoxy, usually weakening the bond and the strength suffers some. Additionally you should mix your epoxy per the manufacturers instructions first and add dye after. You do not want the dye to get between the resin and hardener's reaction. You wouldn't add a thinner to epoxy before it's mixed, the same goes for dyes. That is if you want the best possible bond and highest tensile strength.

And for the record, adding a little food coloring to a teaspoon of methanol or denatured alcohol and adding that to mixed resin works wonderfully and helps the epoxy spread a little better too.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 PM
noisy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the tip on food coloring tim..i am having a little play around with that now...i did not want a heavy colour..i only wanted to see a faint colour in the resin..i will keep you informed..and thanks to everybody for their contrabutions to this thread

Search this Thread