Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know what this is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 004.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	1977722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 006.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	1977723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 008.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1977724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 009.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1977725

I bought this some time ago and never got around to doing anything with it. The seller didn't know anything about it's history. There's a small plate on one side that says "Pennsylvania Bicentennial State '76". There are three lights on top of the cabin and two inside, with wires coming from them plus what's left of the "mechanics" inside the hull. Does anyone know what this is/was it a kit/it's age and value in it's current condition?

Interesting.

Could we see a pic of the bottom of the hull? It may help point towards whether it's a purpose built airboat, or a morphed water prop.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	RC boats 005.JPG 
Views:	16 
ID:	1977807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 011.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	923.1 KB 
ID:	1977808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC boats 012.JPG 
Views:	31 
ID:	1977809
    The hull's almost flat, with just the rudder sticking out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll bet it was wet propped originally, likely by something old and small. It definitely looks vintage..... Old vintage. The fins on the bottom are not rudders rather can be called Bilge Keels or a Skeg of sorts. They do nothing for steering (unless they aren't straight) but will help keep the boat upright and handle rolls/wakes better.

An air prop may not do so well on it though due to the mono hull's design. Could you post some measurements of the craft? Length, width, overall height? Weight of the bare hull? An air propped engine may work, but its going to depend on a few things.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

I think it's a twin electric converted to an airboat, probably a scratch build. I think there are two shaft tubes still in there. The cockpit deck has been filled in at the rear, your topsides are not quite fitted fully in your pic, but it points towards a classic cabin cruiser that's been morphed.

I would guess it's value would be in the hands of the beholder. The fittings and controls are consistent with the seventies alluded to in the little emblem.

Do you want to get it going as an airboat? If you think scale instead of performance there's no reason why a .10 or .15 sized sports engine would not give some fun with that one .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	001.JPG 
Size:	907.3 KB 
ID:	1977889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1977890

The rudder's approx. 11/2 x 11/4. It wasn't easy to see in the other photographs. Length 36", width 12" and height to the top of the engine mount 12". It weighs around 5lbs. I don't want to throw it away but it needs a lot of work and I don't have time to do it. The paint's peeling off and there are some cracks in the wood. I'll probably advertise it in the Classified section or on Ebay.

It's an odd place for a rudder, must be a reason for it. Originally it was in the center just forward of the transom, you can see the fill, and the keel went back much further. As the paint does not match the rest it looks probable that moving it was done after the initial conversion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The skeg on the bottom of the boat is used with the steering. The boat being flat bottom, has the skeg there to provide opposition to the rudder. If the skeg wasn't there the rudder would act like a brake for the boat.