Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Dumas Swamp Buggy vs Windy Air Boat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 AM
gcanrcfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumas Swamp Buggy vs Windy Air Boat

I have a Enya .30 engine I would like to put to use. I would like to try something different other then r/c planes. I don't have any r/c boat building experience but I have built several r/c planes. Any advice on which one of these two air boats would be a better build? I hope to use it year round if possible (snow, ice, wet grass ...ect). Any input would be most appreciated.

Geoffrey
Old 11-16-2015, 12:54 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Greetings Geoffrey. Personally, I'd not touch a Dumas kit. They're heavy and based on what I've read, not the best handling boats. That is unless you build from plans.

A simple flat bottom boat would be in order for what you're looking to do, so maybe have a look here and see what you think. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-a...ild-plans.html

i haven't personally built that one, but there's a few of them out there so it might be worth a look.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:12 PM
gcanrcfly

Geez QwkSport...seems like an awful lot of work. What special tools would I need to cut the plywood to the exact replica of the plans...a electric jigsaw?? I would like to take it on, but I don't know if I have the resources to cut the plywood parts.

Geoff
Old 11-16-2015, 06:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Well, building a Dumas kit is a lot of work too because you would need to replace all the wood in the kit with lighter weight material, so either way you're in for some work. Building a good airboat hull can take as long as a fine airframe. My longest airboat build is 7 months so far. I use a jigsaw and small 10" bandsaw for cutting most of the plywood I use. A table saw comes in handy too for the big stuff. Most folks don't take airboats that seriously, but some of us do. I have a few airboats that will do 55mph+ and I'll tell you it's a hell of a payoff to see a chunk of plywood fly across a pond..

If this is too daunting of a build for you, you could always go easy and build a boogie board boat. Take a foam boogie board, glue wood rails to it, and build a plywood engine stand to mount on it. Cheaper and easier, but an Enya .30 might be a bit small for it.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 PM
crispyspa

Originally Posted by gcanrcfly
Geez QwkSport...seems like an awful lot of work. What special tools would I need to cut the plywood to the exact replica of the plans...a electric jigsaw?? I would like to take it on, but I don't know if I have the resources to cut the plywood parts.

Geoff

1/8" plywood can be cut by making multiple scores with a utility knife and snapping off. Just remember to cut a smidge large and sand to dimension.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

In my opinion, buy the airboat kit that you like the looks of and use it for templates. I did that very thing with a Pay'N Pak kit a few years ago and ended up with a boat that weighs a third less than a kit build, is stronger and probably much faster
Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
In my opinion, buy the airboat kit that you like the looks of and use it for templates. I did that very thing with a Pay'N Pak kit a few years ago and ended up with a boat that weighs a third less than a kit build, is stronger and probably much faster
That's kinda my feeling about Dumas kits. But there are much better designs than the Dumas airboats IMO.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 AM
gcanrcfly

... would it be possible to mount the .30 Enya the engine on a HK swamp dog?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

... would it be possible to mount the .30 Enya the engine on a HK swamp dog?
Not if the hull is plastic. I think those are setup for electric to begin with. What size is the swamp dog?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM
gcanrcfly

.... I'm leaning towards buying the Dumas a swamp buggy kit in substituting the wood with 1/8 plywood. Maybe that's the happy medium.

Geoff
Old 11-21-2015, 05:08 PM
gcanrcfly

...after viewing the Dumas Windy on Youtube, I think I would rather build this air boat rather then the Swamp Buggy. Question: Would a Enya .30 engine be to big for this boat. Any input or suggestion building this boat would be most appreciated.

Geoffrey

Last edited by gcanrcfly; 11-21-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: grammaticl
Old 11-22-2015, 07:46 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

A Enya .30 will be too big for a Windy. The windy is designed for a .10-.15 or so. See here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-a...ggestions.html

I overpower my boats, but they're all much larger. Small boats do not take to overpowering nearly as well due to the torque of the larger prop as well as the faster speeds.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM
gcanrcfly

...Ok...so which Dumas or any other air boat kit be a good fit for a .30 size engine?? Would the Big Swamp Buggy be to under powered?? Or would the Swamp Buggy be the better choice.

Geoff

Last edited by gcanrcfly; 11-22-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

You should be looking at a flat bottom hull. The big swamp buggy is a tunnel hull and does better converted to a flat bottom, but would be grossly underpowered with a .30 engine. I think your best bet is to use the Cajun Gator boat specs (size) but do a wood over foam construction since it's easy. Blue or pink insulation foam works great and is easily obtained. It's easy to work (shape) as well.

Dumas boats have a following to them, but for a first time builder I would be looking at something proven to be a good design versus a complicated and ill-designed boat such as a BSB. IMHO anyway.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:06 PM
gcanrcfly

...Quiksport I really appreciate all your suggestions...so what about the Dumas Swamp Buggy?? Still not what you would advise??

Geoff
Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

...Quiksport I really appreciate all your suggestions...so what about the Dumas Swamp Buggy?? Still not what you would advise??

Geoff
For the time and effort that would go into building a substandard design, I'd rather put my time and money into a more proven design. A true flat bottom will work better for what your intended purpose is much better than a Swamp Buggy Dumas kit. It might look like a lot of work, but that Cajun Gator will probably be the right thing to do, honestly.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:46 AM
gcanrcfly

Ok QwkSport...you win...I really like the looks of the Cajun Gator, and your right, if I'm going to put the time and effort in to building an Air Boat I might as well do it right. But I think I'm going to pass the foam board and try to follow the plans on the link you provided. Wish me luck.

Geoff
Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'm certainly not trying to pressure you one way or another. I'd just hate for you to build something and not be happy with it. A flat bottom boat can run anywhere, a tunnel/catamaran type hull is not well suited for anything but water pretty much.