Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Just finished building/testing one with a nitro gas engine

Hi everyone!

About a year ago I started building this swamp boat having only the motor and servos from my old RC plane. I'm new with boats so I didn't know even where to start. There really isn't that much info on the internet for how to build these things so I had to invent almost everything myself.

I started the project with measuring the propeller and tried to figure out how large the boat should be. It had to be steady enough so it won't tip over even if you try. It also had to be tough so it wouldn't break if it for some reason hit something for example on my friends hands (: All my decisions on the desing were based purely on logical reasoning.

So I decided to build a one meter long and 40 centimeters wide frame from plywood (birch and cottonwood). I reduced extra weight by drilling holes in the "skeleton". I placed the fuel tank in the frame but moved it later behind the motor due to lack of getting enough fuel up into the motor. I coated the whole thing with yacht varnish and finished with some spray paint. With motor on the boat weights only 4.5 kilograms.

With fingers crossed I went to a lake next to my familys summer cottage, started the engine and... BOOOM! It works!! The boat swims just fine and turns like a real deal (: So it was time to put my GoPro onboard and shoot some cool video. I then made a video that shows almost all building phases and the test run from two perspectives.

Hope you guys enjoy it! (:
    And sorry about my poor english

https://youtu.be/fbmxbBPXyMY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    looks good one question why did you leave a gap under the hull in the middle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	2171813

I thought it might help in high speeds so it won't turn itself too easily. Like I said before, I don't have experience in these things at all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    no worries i am newish to air boats my self and was just wondering

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow, looks great! I too am an airboat virgin, but will no longer be this weekend! Taking mine out for a maiden Saturday. I like how yours runs.