RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Just finished building/testing one with a nitro gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
M4cex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished building/testing one with a nitro gas engine

Hi everyone!

About a year ago I started building this swamp boat having only the motor and servos from my old RC plane. I'm new with boats so I didn't know even where to start. There really isn't that much info on the internet for how to build these things so I had to invent almost everything myself.

I started the project with measuring the propeller and tried to figure out how large the boat should be. It had to be steady enough so it won't tip over even if you try. It also had to be tough so it wouldn't break if it for some reason hit something for example on my friends hands (: All my decisions on the desing were based purely on logical reasoning.

So I decided to build a one meter long and 40 centimeters wide frame from plywood (birch and cottonwood). I reduced extra weight by drilling holes in the "skeleton". I placed the fuel tank in the frame but moved it later behind the motor due to lack of getting enough fuel up into the motor. I coated the whole thing with yacht varnish and finished with some spray paint. With motor on the boat weights only 4.5 kilograms.

With fingers crossed I went to a lake next to my familys summer cottage, started the engine and... BOOOM! It works!! The boat swims just fine and turns like a real deal (: So it was time to put my GoPro onboard and shoot some cool video. I then made a video that shows almost all building phases and the test run from two perspectives.

Hope you guys enjoy it! (:
And sorry about my poor english

https://youtu.be/fbmxbBPXyMY
Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Paulekins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good one question why did you leave a gap under the hull in the middle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2171813  
Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 PM
M4cex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it might help in high speeds so it won't turn itself too easily. Like I said before, I don't have experience in these things at all
Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Paulekins

no worries i am newish to air boats my self and was just wondering
Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 PM
NEW222

Wow, looks great! I too am an airboat virgin, but will no longer be this weekend! Taking mine out for a maiden Saturday. I like how yours runs.