Airboat Kits

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Airboat Kits

Old 02-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Lester Burch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airboat Kits

Is there a need for laser cut Airboat Kits for nitro , electric and Gas up to 45 inch long. They would be Mudmasher and Cajun gator design .
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't mind a big gasser airboat kit.I mostly run gas r/c boats up to 30cc.For me the gas engines are simplier than nitro or electric and I'd like something to run in the snow in the winter.I was always thinking of scratch building one,but never got one started
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be awesome, but for me up here with the dollar the way it is plus international shipping would kill the deal for me. Now a nice simple set of plans in the .25 - .40 nitro size, now we're talking......
Old 02-19-2017, 03:44 AM
St.Marek

Hi guys,
We built Airboat kit but matched with electric engine. Our contruction swims well, it is stable, goes in driffts without problems. There is also no problem to enlarge this model and fit it with 30cc engine.
Here are photos.

And that looks our 26cc Airboat.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I am a devout Nitro guy. I think if one was to make and produce kits, they would need to be able to acommodate all of the typical power sources. Nitro (glow), electric, and gas. The problem comes in setting the CG. The Cajun Gator is horrible when built to the plans and powered with an electric motor and ESC. It would spin out like nobody's business! Adding a pile of weight to the bow helped some, but it was still terrible. It got burned. So there would likely be some differences to account for the different CG of the different power systems.

I think it would be great to see someone cutting kits again since Chris Selph is out of the game now... But popularity is pretty low and has been for awhile... I don't know how well kits would sell. Especially in this "plug and play"/instant gratification RTR type world we live in now.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:14 PM
St.Marek

Hello QwkSport2.5r
Designing an Airboat about which you write would take a lot of time and money. And apart from that there are also tests which we should done. Construction of that hull which should fits several kinds of engines is complex. We aren't talking about it is impossible but whether it is profitable? Expecially when it comes to kits. Our set that is built to run with electric engines has a marginal interest, simply around zero. In these days people, who want to buy models choose to go with laminate hulls, both ready to run as well as these which require finishing. That's why models, which we are currently building are made of laminate. Composite constructions are more durable, lighter, stiffer and building process is also less laborious.
To sum up, the hull about what you wrote should be laminate. We want to point out that this not only our opinion. On other forums people thinks the same.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by St.Marek
Hello QwkSport2.5r
Designing an Airboat about which you write would take a lot of time and money. And apart from that there are also tests which we should done. Construction of that hull which should fits several kinds of engines is complex. We aren't talking about it is impossible but whether it is profitable? Expecially when it comes to kits. Our set that is built to run with electric engines has a marginal interest, simply around zero. In these days people, who want to buy models choose to go with laminate hulls, both ready to run as well as these which require finishing. That's why models, which we are currently building are made of laminate. Composite constructions are more durable, lighter, stiffer and building process is also less laborious.
To sum up, the hull about what you wrote should be laminate. We want to point out that this not only our opinion. On other forums people thinks the same.

By laminate, do you mean made of plywood? Plastic? Please elaborate.

As to the notion that kits being buildable for multiple power sources isn't and shouldn't be all that difficult. It would simply require adjustability of the engine mount and perhaps the design of a few different parts for the different power systems. Obviously most gas airboats are rather large as the small 10cc & 15cc gasoline engines aren't quite debugged yet, so using them is a bit of a Pandora's box. Nitro and electric are going to be the two most popular power systems. If someone is in the business to make money selling airboat kits, it's going to cost some time and money to manufacture what people want. You make kits for electric power only.. If you made a kit for nitro power, I might buy one. Others may also. Of course if pricing is within reason. Selph inflicted kits started at about $80 and went up to about $120 or so depending on scale/size. All laser cut from Baltic birch plywood. Look on YouTube for the SI3 3-pointer airboats - many were sold and built and nearly all were very successful. Kits and models were made for nitro, electric, and gasoline engine power systems.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 AM
St.Marek

Hello,
We rather build a normal shape Airboats, which we make from glass fiber laminate- first layer is gelcoat, and then fiber glass cloth, sandwich material, layer of fiber glass. Edges are reinforced with carbon fiber roving. Everything is filled with epoxy resin. That technology let us to build lightweight and strong constructions and when we add some carbon fiber in crucial places then it is even tougher.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Tougher and more expensive too. I prefer to use plywood (liteply and birch ply), balsa, hardwood, epoxy, and fiberglass. I get the strength I want at a reasonable weight and it's built for the power source I want to use... I don't like things painted but rather like seeing the natural wood grain.

Different strokes for different folks. For the guys who want to sell kits, manufacture what people want to buy... It pays to do a little research. If you built a boat that was supplied with all necessary parts and hardware and it comes from the box ready to run, you'll probably do well. Most people don't want to build because they're of the "instant gratification" group of people.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 AM
St.Marek

Edit: Sorry guys, I sent a post before i had translated it. I haven't noticed it before. I'm sorry for english, I do my best to write understandable. I hope you understand me

Hello guys.
Ok, I'm old modeller. That is why I have
a lot of respect for people, who are modellers too and build models themselves. There was a time when I built many models with wood and plywood. These are good and cheap materails. Because of that I'm still using them but in slightly different purpose- to build a pattern on the basis of which the mold would be done ( if this is not clear i will rewrite it because i couldn't express it in other way ). Our first Airboats was made from plywood and they swam pretty well. But to increase performace of Airboats, I mean speed and maneuverability, for us was to decrease the weight of the model. For us composites was the way to go. Boats are made of them because they are, as I said, lighter, stiffer and more durable. Off course, composites aren't ideal materials but they have a lot of benefits of using them. And if we talk about price... It depends on individual approach to this topic.
I think creating a hull which is made of composites and selling it in few different options is a right solution.
Other thing is to people, who buy Airboats want to learn how to controll them. It's not easy, expecially in higher speeds.
And finally, if Airboats have to be more popular, people will organise more meetings and contests. There is also room to maneuver with form of a track, maybe not only classic U-shape but something where Airboats could show how much they do. And they can do a lot!

Last edited by St.Marek; 02-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.