Dumas Swamp buggy

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Dumas Swamp buggy

Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumas Swamp buggy

Has anybody owned a Dumas Swamp buggy? How do you start the engine with the rudder in the way? Is it removable for starting? How does the model run on water, does it flip easy or does it groove on the turns.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dum1501.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2209313  

Last edited by controlliner; 04-11-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM
NEW222

I cannot definitively answer your question, but as a Lil' Swamp Buggy owner, I believe that most people flip the engine pylon around and run it in a standard tractor setup. Plus from what I have read, the engine gets better cooling as well from running in a standard configuration. As for the last question and being relatively new to airboats, if balanced properly, you should have no problems with flipping. There is someone that frequents this forum that will probably chime in here and offer better advice as he is the 'master' around here. He has many builds and is both very knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited by NEW222; 04-11-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

They're heavy as kit-built. They're a bit cantankerous because of the hull being more of a tunnel/catamaran than anything else. Converted to a flat bottom and they work much better. I would set the engine as a tractor instead of a pusher as NEW2222 mentioned.

My feeling is there are better designs out there that are much better than the BSB.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM
controlliner

Hello Tim, I have built and run the BSB, but I was referring to the smaller cousin, the one that takes the 19 size engine. I think it has a flat bottom but I can't be sure as I don't see any hull pics. I will be building a BSB though with the tunnel removed as you say. I think it would slide better. I will be putting an OS 56 FS A in it.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

As long as it's got a flat bottom and not too top heavy (or heavy overall for that matter), it should go alright. Just build it as light as possible. Dumas kits are not known to be light. The BSB I was given was built from the kit using the supplied wood and it was a portly 10lbs for the hull only.