Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Largest scale airboat built

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM
ElectricFlyGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest scale airboat built

Hi all: I was wondering who has ever built a large scale air-boat and size and specs if possible. Mine has an 18" overall height , and is 33" long by 4" high (hull only) and 16 1/2" wide sporting a Leopard LBP3674 @ 1900kv motor spinning a 1060 prop. This boat scoots!! I want to build or have built for me a larger scale and I'm talking about 6' long by approx 2 3/4' wide or what ever proportionately correct. I could supply the air-boat will the much larger motor and prop needed. If anyone locates plans and even free plans, please post them here. Maybe Tom of Expresscraft might be up to the task of building me the hull or 'box', and all I need to do is outfit it, since he has more experience and materials.. In the meanwhile, I'll just play with mine....Can you do that Tom? And maybe sometime me and the wife can make the trip since we are in Palm Coast... Thanks everyone for your help and always open for tips and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CarsAirBoat 007.JPG
Views:	1497
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	2250538   Click image for larger version

Name:	CarsAirBoat 012.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	2250539   Click image for larger version

Name:	CarsAirBoat 011.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	2250540   Click image for larger version

Name:	CarsAirBoat 010.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	2250541   Click image for larger version

Name:	CarsAirBoat 009.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	2250542   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheBoats 001.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	2250543  
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM
ElectricFlyGuy

I also ran across this post from 2013 using a GYRO and it is a great idea for air boats,but how would they plug into the normal 3 channel ESC's in which we only use two channels anyway? Is there a place such as the AUX to plug the one plug into? Thanx.

OK, tried posting the link and I got a message that I needed at least 10 posts before I can post a link. Now I could have sworn I had hundreds upon hundreds of posts since I joined. I guess someone did some programming and their skills show...........
Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

What control would you want the gyro to manage? I used one in head-holding mode on a SAW hydro rudder servo for maintaining a constant heading to counteract prop walk. It plugs into the wiring between the receiver and the servo, I turned it on and off without the third channel. How would this be an advantage in an airboat.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM
ElectricFlyGuy

Originally Posted by Got RPM
What control would you want the gyro to manage? I used one in head-holding mode on a SAW hydro rudder servo for maintaining a constant heading to counteract prop walk. It plugs into the wiring between the receiver and the servo, I turned it on and off without the third channel. How would this be an advantage in an airboat.

For steering control only at the rear rudders.. I know that air boats can be a bit squirrely sometimes and just wanted to know for future reference. My current air boat has three 'runners' under it to help it track and steer without it going around like a car losing control in an icy road. I use the Spektrum DX2E ( three channel I believe). Where would a gyro plug into the 3 channel receiver with it's two plugs? Channel #2 is one, but what about the AUX plug or does it get plugged into channel #3? OR are gyros for 3 channel receivers different? Thanks for responding. Oh, and you forgot to contribute a link for large scale air boat plans.............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1429ad66-3e04-4e43-be44-286e9eda4e2f.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2250628  

Last edited by ElectricFlyGuy; 01-10-2018 at 04:54 PM.