Nitro airboat build

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Nitro airboat build

Old 06-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Speedfreak241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro airboat build

hello I am new here and new to airboats, I used to run trucks and boats and have always wanted to build an airboat but could never find anything on them, I recently purchased a Stevens aeromdel waterboard and love it and am wanting to build something bigger. I just picked up a os .25 nitro engine with a master airscrew 9" prop, I am looking to build a new boat from scratch, I am thinking about dimensions around 24"x12" as that's the largest sheet of craft plywood I can get without ordering online. Any plans or ideas would be great, I am trying to figure out the hull and also if I want the engine to be in pusher or tractor configuration.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:39 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any one of the various outrigger hydro plans you find free on line can easily be converted to air driven tractor, by adding a engine pylon and setting the prop about 10% of the hull length behind the balance point and maybe adding just a bit of width to the sponsons to get them up on top of the water a little faster. I would think a 24 inch outrigger hydro would be about right for a .25 engine. it's easy to print the plans off and get them enlarged to 24" for a full size plan. I prefer the tractor configuration to pusher because it simulates an aircraft arrangement and I am more familiar with that. that size (24") builds cheap and quick, so you can experiment fairly easily and cheaply, until you find what works best.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Speedfreak241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for something more of a Florida airboat style as it has to run dry land, would I run into issues with cooling if I run the engine in pusher style, I like the idea of a cage as the boat I have now doesn't have a cage and has broken props and engine mounts when it rolls. I am thinking about building the back with a step down so the prop can sit a little lower. I have to figure out how to post pictures, I have a few boats that I'd like to design it after.