Ryobi Powered Air Boat

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Ryobi Powered Air Boat

Old 11-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Mikie888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi Powered Air Boat

OK This is my first post in the new Air Boat section....
I built this boat from a picture, on another web site, I ran across while looking for air boats
I found , at [link]http://martysrcboats.com/Pix/billside/jpg[/link] , an started to scratch build
one like it,

I cut all the rib sections out , then Glued the bottom on , I then added foam around the edges, for flotation, added the rudder blade brackets , Cut out the rudder blades, installed them to the brackets, Cut out the motor mounts, installed them for fit, put the Motor on the mounts.
Then Glued the top on , I used 5oz glass cloth and poly resin to seal it. started installing servos in the radio box, and put the primer paint on..
I still have a lot to finish , Paint , Radio, and a Starter that will start a 31cc Ryobi...

Looks like it may be 20# to 25# weight..

Good luck with your air boat project...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86310.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	77264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54451.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	77265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80188.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	77266  
Old 11-25-2003, 08:26 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Ryobi Powered Air Boat

Helpful hint maybe ?
I , too , have one that is almost styled the same as yours ALSO with a RYBOI motor . I was noticing your rudder setup . If you have it the same as I "did" , the your gonna get radio glitching a LOT .
Lots like you have all metal to meatl from your servo all the way to the actual rudders themselves.
When the engine is running , and pushing ALL that air past the rudders , it causes them to want to "move" , which causes RF from the metal to metal . I tried oiling the metal contacting areas , greasing them and finally had to change over to carbon fiber , fiberglass rods and that finally did it for me . The area od concern on yours I am referring to is where those gold colored brass hinges are at . When they move , they will cause ( maybe ) a slight gltich due to the fact that they are NOT tight enough to stay a very constant contact .
Again , this is just a suggestion for you to check before you run and loose control .
Might not have the same problem as I did , but its something for you to keep in mind . Metal to metal that does NOT have a steady direct contact , will cause RF .[8D]

Just got back from another WINDY day at the local lake and before wiping her down and putting her away to rest , I thought I would share a few pics of her sitting at rest
Heres a few pics of my airboat with a RYOBI power plant swinging a 16/10 3 blade pusher .

Old 11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Mikie888

Hey thanks Turbo ,, What about using a jumper wire to the rudders? do ya think this will work, to stop the glitching ?
Also how did ya mount that pull rope ? is that the one that came with
the motor on the weed eater ?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:42 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

To tell you the truth , I'm not sure if it would or not . I guess the best thing would be is to try it and see ( and let us know also please )
Yes , that is the original pull starter that was on the engine . Nothing altered with that .
Old 11-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Mikie888

I will try that after I get everything together and up running.

And Terbo can ya take a close up of the pull rope side, so we can see how ot hooks up.

I my try an turn mine around too, I might have to do some work on the pull starter,to get it to work or, order a longer shaft adapter for the prop,

That way ~~IF~~ it does work , that will save me form buying a 12v starter..

Thanks again for the help...