Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

New design thought

Old 12-01-2003, 08:20 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New design thought

Would like to hear any input about this idea I have . ( doesn't matter if you think its totally stupid , or good , please post your sincere thoughts )

I am going to be building ( wood ) another airboat here in a few more days ( maybe a week ) and had an idea of a style kind of like a cat / tunnel , BUT , rather than have the tunnel continue that entire length of the hull , I would have it stop almost immediately after the angle . This will have sponsons and the center tub section ( tunnel area ) would NOT be higher than the sponsons , but rather will just have the angle .

I am thinking this will help in getting on plane but will leave the air pocket out , to stop the lift effect .

Voice your pro's and con's , if you will .
Old 12-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Mikie888

Default RE: New design thought

Terbo sounds like a good design , I seen some small ones like that some where..[sm=confused.gif] ....

Just a thought , If the water is ruff , will the water come over the front and run over the deck ?
Ya may need to build it like a cat off shore hull up front and then taper like ya said ..
Just my 2 $..
Old 12-03-2003, 02:09 AM
pro27

TURBObob

If you can find the post with my pics in it, one of my small hulls has the feature I think you are describing. The hull is the day-glo green and orange.
I have a pickle fork bow on it, with a slight tunnel that terminates at the hull bottom. The tunnel does not continue under the main hull.
On this size hull, 22" long powered by a Norvel .049, I have noticed no difference in how it planes. The boat is so light to begin with it just floats on the water already.

But in your case it would be an interesting experiment in design. Maybe a larger version, which I'm sure your's will be, with a heavier weight, where the hull actually sits IN the water,( not ON the water like mine) may have an advantage.

In theory, the air passing through the tunnel should help displace the water under the hull, giving it an 'air cushion' for at least a greater portion of the hull bottom. It may be at a particular speed that you will notice any affect. And hopefully it will not cause an overly unstable hull.

I think it is do-able idea.
Go For It !
Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the input gents. And PRO , you got my idea down to a tee ...
Will begin it here within the next week or so ( gotta get my holiday decorations finshed setting up .... I am one of those nuts that goes ALL out with Halloween and Christmas . Halloween things I have almost ALL homemade animatronics , some using RC [8D] )

Will post some pics of the new boat as I get her going .
Thanks again for the input
Old 12-04-2003, 01:10 AM
pro27

TURBObob,
We both share the same idea, but I think you are going at it in a better way, that is larger. The effect I had hoped for is what you described, but in my case, I believe my hull was too small to notice/have an effect.

I am very interested in your progress, and the final results.
I have a 'speed' project in the planning stages that will benefit from your results.
I am looking at a 'minimal hull' design, that will need lift to get it up on plane, but will not gain additional lift once on plane, so as to prevent blow-overs. Power will be supplied by a piped Rossi .45 RE.