Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

could have been better

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:35 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default could have been better

I took the new toy out again for a few runs. Wanted to see how muc of a bank it would climb. She did not have any trouble with any around here. Then I took her in the water, ran good for the small area I was in. Until the engine died. This boat will not stay upright while dead in the water. Rob here a pic of the temp. down here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79241.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	96019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55927.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	96020  
Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 PM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: could have been better

HAL, I like the idea of finding a use for the ole' tunnel hull.

You may want to cut off some height on the pod uprights though. I looked back at your other posts with more pics and IMO the engine is too high off the deck. That may help with your problem somewhat.

The other thing you may want to try is to move the whole engine pod more forward. ( get the weight off the transom end)

You didn't say which direction the hull turns over while stationary, but my guess is that the front lifts up and the butt end goes down first.[X(] Tunnels are not known for very much freeboard area and the weight may just simply be swamping it. ???

Give it some thought.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:15 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

HALJMAC ,
Hey ... isn't that a gator I see on the far bank eyeballing you ????
Hummmm ...
Only kidding .
She looks GREAT on land , but ... just a 'tad" bit 'wet' in the water ...

Hopefully , maybe lowering your motor pod will give you a bit better "dying" situations .

Today here ... not so bad ... only 5 below ( not counting the wind chill factor )
Tomorrow , thru Wednesday , they are calling for MORE snow ( about 4 more inches tomorrow followed by another 4 to size during the next few days to follow )

AS soon as the temps warm a tad , will be throwing on a NEW 19 X 14.5 prop ( man that booger is HUGH ! )
Old 01-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

No gators, but there is a couple of Nutria Rats the size of a large dog, that would like to have a nip at my rear end...lol
Pro, you are 100% correct. I just came in from looking at how I will go about getting the cg lower. Real good idea about moving the engine forward, The engine can be lowwered a solid 3/4", and I think I'll move it up about 1-1/2". I will also need to block of some of the water that gets in the engine compartment when its at a stop.
But this is just an ole tunnel hull, something to play around with. I rather my other style of hulls, they handle so much better. I may also try a smaller engine on that tunnel, the .45 on a 12x26 hull is a bit much for it. Don't get me wrong, it is fun, but a smaller lighter engine would I think make it a great boat.
Terbo, I'm making a lot of head way on the drop engine stand, the majority of the parts will be in Monday. I decided to go with timing gears and belt, couple sets of bearings. I do believe with the engine down low with only the prop and rudder higher than the deck, should make for a boat that handles!!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:19 PM
TERBObob

GREAT ! ! ! When you get them all figured out and all . Make sure to let us all know ... and IF you're gonna either sell the item , or be nice enough to tell us where we can get them ..

And yes , your absolutely right ... with that low of CG , a boat should wail ...
Should also make her handle SUPER in the turns .
Old 02-01-2004, 02:59 AM
pro27

Hal.......
On your DES project, what size engine were you planning on setting this up for?
I'm sure all of us here would like to see this project come through with great results and be possible to adapt it to various size engines.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:09 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: haljmac

But this is just an ole tunnel hull, something to play around with. I rather my other style of hulls, they handle so much better. I may also try a smaller engine on that tunnel, the .45 on a 12x26 hull is a bit much for it. Don't get me wrong, it is fun, but a smaller lighter engine would I think make it a great boat.
Take a look back at my thread on 'my latest project' . The size of the KM2 is 10 x 25 and powered by an .18. It is very lightweight and though not run yet, should prove to be very fast. (I'm in the same weather belt as Terbo, only more north-east).
Tunnels are 'generally' very light in weight, as well as light on the water. If you put on a .20 size engine, I don't think you will be disappointed, and maybe even surprised.

Keep us posted as to what you do with this.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

The prototype DES is for a .61 size engine. Figured the bigger engine would give me better test results. To make it fit different size engines all I would need is the center line measurements of the engine mount bolt holes on the engine. At the moment it is a solid mount, later I will look into making it adjustable.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:51 AM
lawnsplus

Congrats on your tunnel air boat run. I have read somewhere in the UK that the belt drive was tried without success because of the belts breaking all too often. Maybe a good old boy from USA will have success, keep us posted on your test and results. Oh, I tried running my 48" gas air boat of ground and when it gets to the bank it slides a little with engine wide open and stops. I think I need more prop. I only had 1 prop for the maiden voyage and it was 16/10-2 blade master air screw. I plan on picking up some more next week at the LHS. John
Old 02-01-2004, 12:40 PM
TERBObob

Hey JOHN ,
What size engine ?
If its a gasser , I am now running a 19X14.5 WITH authority . The engine ( RYOBI ) has NO problem getting that blade spinning and BOY , does it kick out some serious air . Will probably post some pics or a vid later today or tomorrow of her running the new big prop .
Old 02-03-2004, 08:14 AM
lawnsplus

Terobob-it is g23 zenoah mid mod air cooled gas engine. Do you use 2, 3 or 4 blade props? Would like to see your setup with gas engine. John
Old 02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
TERBObob

Morning John ,
First , I ran a 16X10 3 blade pusher .... with that she ran good . Then I went to a 4 blade regular prop ( after I had my little accident on land and she went airborn and flipped a few times - props are tough ,but not THAT tough .. )
Now I got a BIG prop ... 19X14.5 .
I'll post some pics of her later on to day in this same thread .