RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Nitro motor not fast enough ? Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:23 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro motor not fast enough ? Check this out

Ok , so you say that your airboat just ain't up to par in its speed ? Well , your worries are now over .
Wanna SUPERCHARGE that nitro engine ? Need more "ummph" ? Wanna kick butt without actually doing the kicking ? ( sorry ... couldn't resist - ) And NOT loose any power from the impellor ?
Well , take a look at this little gem . ( found this on another site that FASTRAT posted it on )

http://www.rbinnovations.com/newsite...percharger.htm

NOW ... you can REALLY have that airboat "FLYING" ( and probably in the literal sense too > )
Old 02-06-2004, 11:25 PM
IDM

Default RE: Nitro motor not fast enough ? Check this out

Dont waste your money, it wont work on a 2 cycle engine.
If it would you would see them everywhere.

IDM
Old 02-07-2004, 12:50 AM
pro27

I spent some time at the RB Innovations booth at the Chicago/Rosemont tradeshow last year. It is a very simple setup imo, and very ingenious. They were running it hooked up to a T-Maxx with the 2.5 engine. It was designed for RC trucks specifically, but would be interesting in other applications.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:02 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: IDM

Dont waste your money, it wont work on a 2 cycle engine.
If it would you would see them everywhere.

IDM
At around $200, it isn't cheap.
Since the Chicago show, I have only seen their ad a few times in some of the RC Car mags. The target market is aimed at the Nitro Monster Truck folk, so the exposure is limited.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:44 AM
IDM

"quote"
At around $200, it isn't cheap.
Since the Chicago show, I have only seen their ad a few times in some of the RC Car mags. The target market is aimed at the Nitro Monster Truck folk, so the exposure is limited.

Our engines have cylinder port timing and if the supercharger could produce enough volume
of air to supercharge, it would slip right out the exhaust port because it does not close for several degrees after the intake port close.
If it did work a lot of racers would consider $200.00 acheap investment for power and speed.

IDM
Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 AM
TERBObob

Without saying that it DOES work as good as claimed , then why wouldn't it have the same identical effect on JUST the motor running ( without the supercharger ) itself .

it would slip right out the exhaust port because it does not close for several degrees after the intake port close.
So then , why does the fuel/air mixture in a regular run 2 stroker not do the same ( slip right out the exhaust port ) ?
It does , to a degree, and I would think the same would be for the supercharger . ( scavenging ? )
Old 02-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see how it would work well. The way the 2 stroke engine works well part ot it, as the piston is on the down stroke, the air/fuel mix is being compressed up to the top of the piston. This limited because of the large size crank case. With the positive pressure from the charger, it would make the air/fuel mixture in the crank case be under more pressure pushing up to the piston cylinder. With out the positive pressure there, the air/fuel mix is relieing on positive pressure from the piston, with first it must compress before it will move.
I am not very good at explaining things, but hopefuly what I'm saying is understood.
As for the exhaust and intake ports being open at the same time, this is where the tune pipe comes into play. As the exhaust exits the cylinder into the pipe the expanding pipe makes a negative pressure, in the cylinder, as the exhaust moves thru the pipe, it reaches where the pipe begines to become smaller in diameter, at this point it starts to make a positive pressure at the exhaust port, forcing air/fuel mix back into the cylinder.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
ibuildstuff

you would get the same results if you put a little electric fan on top of your intake... thats all it is is a "fan" and not a "compressor" kinda totally defeating the purpose and principle of a supercharger... theres no "real" boost being made there.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:42 PM
TERBObob

------
Old 02-08-2004, 12:02 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

properly timed and ported with the pipe set at optimum length we essentially have a supercharger on our two strokes. with the returning pulse more fuel air is rammed back in than natural aspiration can produce.
i didnt say it would woek i just posted the link for a novelty
but if ya got $200 bux burnin a hole in your wallet then go for it.
its worth that much in KEWL factor
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Does this count? Someone stuck a turbine on his cat boat. :P
Old 02-18-2004, 01:53 AM
canadianjosh

The supercharger would be best applied to a 4 stroke engine, as 200 dollars would buy you 2 tuned pipes that would do exactly if not better than the same thing. Now for 200 dollars, and i am assuming this is american, that would make for roughly a 260 canadian dollar application. I think that for 260 dollars, someone should be able to design and manufacture a turbo charger for 4 stroke engines. This would then present an additional weight. Most likely for the same weight addition and for a smaller price you could just buy a larger engine.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:37 AM
pro27

The thing you have to keep in mind here is that the RBI system is designed for use in RC Nitro Monster Trucks. Yea....there is the cool factor, but also they don't have the luxury of using standard size tuned pipes. The pipes that are used are primarily either a torque pipe or an rpm pipe, and pretty much, non-tunable in the same sense as are airplane or IB boat pipes.From what I know about the system and how it works, is that what they claim is very acheivable for it's designed purpose.

If you put a turbo-charged 4 cylinder out of a Mazda in your 4 ton Dodge SUV, would you expect it to outperform the Hemi you took out??????