Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

my very first airboat, with PIC's

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Model_Mann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my very first airboat, with PIC's

well how is it,, it's made with standard airplane servos, a .19 engine, balsa wood, plywood, and pink styrofoam(for color), and a 10x6 puller prop,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34022.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	104103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30435.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	104104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67375.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	104105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28931.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	104106  
Old 02-23-2004, 09:26 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: my very first airboat, with PIC's

VERY nice ....
Might I throw a few suggestions to you ?
The rudder can be cut down a bit ( the size of the prop is usually a good starting point ) and also , by the picture , the angle of the prop to hull looks like you might get some porpoising effect ... ( the nose of the boat bouncing up and down ) . Make the prop angle 90 degrees to the hulls bottom
Next , the foam is good , but , you might want to coat it with something so it doesn't come to peices on you .
Are you gonna run on snow/ice , or just water ( whenever the heck it decides to thaw - ) ?
One more thing ... your radio gear ( Rx and servo's ) , you might want to either "waterproof" them by using something like CORROSION X or put them in a watertight box ( one of those cheapo ZIPLOCK sandwich plastic boxes will work ! )
You get those wet and you loose control ...
Otherwise ... congrats on your new build and best of luck with her .
And most important over ANYTHING .... be CAREFUL ( with that prop ) and have FUN !
Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 AM
fixitt

Nice job Model_Mann!! If doctoreagle is looking here is another idea
for his blue styro !!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Model_Mann

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

VERY nice ....
Might I throw a few suggestions to you ?
The rudder can be cut down a bit ( the size of the prop is usually a good starting point ) and also , by the picture , the angle of the prop to hull looks like you might get some porpoising effect ... ( the nose of the boat bouncing up and down ) . Make the prop angle 90 degrees to the hulls bottom
Next , the foam is good , but , you might want to coat it with something so it doesn't come to peices on you .
Are you gonna run on snow/ice , or just water ( whenever the heck it decides to thaw - ) ?
One more thing ... your radio gear ( Rx and servo's ) , you might want to either "waterproof" them by using something like CORROSION X or put them in a watertight box ( one of those cheapo ZIPLOCK sandwich plastic boxes will work ! )
You get those wet and you loose control ...
Otherwise ... congrats on your new build and best of luck with her .
And most important over ANYTHING .... be CAREFUL ( with that prop ) and have FUN !
yes, i dont have the prop nut on there yet, but the prop is stet at a 90 degree angle, and i was still planning on water proofing my servos and reciever, ,
also how do you think the way i made the hull (with 2 pontoons instead of a flat hull) will fair in open water,
my dad thinks the motor mount wont hold what do you guys think.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

About the motor mount ... did you reinforce the bottom ( add a plate- if you will ) for the bolts to travel thru and add strength ?
Meaning .... did you take a piece of aluminum , or wood ( thin ) , and cut it the distance of the width of the sponson for the bolts , from the top section of the mount ( that is viewable in the pictures ) to go thru the foam and thru the plate ? Did you also use fender washers on the bottom part where the nut connects to the bolt ?
If yes , then , IMO , she should hold up ...
If your still in doubt , you could also throw some glass and resin on the mount where it meets the foam for added support .
Oh ... and how will it work in the water with th twin pontoons ? Just as good .... that should not be a problem ....
Think of a Catamaran ( sailboat )... basically same thing ...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Model_Mann

ok, i have the darker piece of wood reinforced very well what he and i were worried about was where the motor actually connects to the piece of dark and light wood, im thinking of running 2 or 3 bolts all the way through and then adding a lock washer to the bottom to keep it from getting lose.

what do you think
Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kinda with your Dad on the engine stand. If that engine comes off it will cause some pain and a high Dr bill. The rudder can be a lot shorter. I agree with Terbo, make the foam stronger, you don't want that to break while you are starting her.
The props may be small, but they will open a can of whop@$$ on you in a heart beat.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Model_Mann

ORIGINAL: haljmac

I'm kinda with your Dad on the engine stand. If that engine comes off it will cause some pain and a high Dr bill. The rudder can be a lot shorter. I agree with Terbo, make the foam stronger, you don't want that to break while you are starting her.
The props may be small, but they will open a can of whop@$$ on you in a heart beat.
that's the same thing that my dad said,, now im affraid of the d@m|\| thing, lol j/k. im ganna reinforce the motor mount tonight, then ill post more pic's to show what i did,
Old 02-23-2004, 12:07 PM
rcairboat78

You might have a little problem with water going in the prop, but dont worry about it unless it does happen. I would reinforce the sponson, and the servo will probably have trouble to swing the big rudder, but gotta try it full throttle to find out. Just my 2cents
Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 PM
rcairboat78

Hey, where is the fuel tank?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Model_Mann

ORIGINAL: rcairboat78

Hey, where is the fuel tank?
not on there yet, i just finished the boat last night, and am going to (excuse my language) niger-rig a gas tank, just because im broke and am looking for a jopb
Old 02-24-2004, 01:54 AM
pro27

Other than the suggestions that have already been given, I would make one more............use a smaller diameter prop.

A 10-6 prop is much better suited for a .40 size engine. A .19 will have a hard time swinging it at any reasonable rpm and will load the engine down and cause over-heating. Bigger is not always better.

For a .19 engine, you want to be running an 8-4 or 8-5. At the most, a 9-5.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Model_Mann

ok thx for the in put and i will deffinately change the prop.