Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Airboats
Reload this Page >

New idea ? Good or bad ? Got suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

New idea ? Good or bad ? Got suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New idea ? Good or bad ? Got suggestions?

First , let me say that I have recently done a LOT of reading on them and personally do not see why they would not work , setup properly , of course .
I have had an idea in my head , which I will share with you before I try building one ( only cause momma - thats what I call my wife , thinks I have too many "projects" going on already ... LOL )
I was thinking on a hydrofoil ... a flatbottom , kinda like a crackerbox hull , but with foils underneath .... so .. any input ? Would a foil work with an airboat setup ?
Any pro's and con's ? anybody ?
Would DEFINATELY be a NEW "design" for sure ... The only thought I had about change in design is widening the foils a bit for more stability since we are , in general , top heavy to begin with ... ( thats why I have been waiting on HALJMAC's gearing unit to get completed ... so I could see if that would be better suited than a pod mounted motor . )
Old 02-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New idea ? Good or bad ? Got suggestions?

OK,,lol.. I'll get it at the top of the list of things to get done.
I can see what you are wanting to do, but having trouble seeing in my mind, what will happen with it running in the water. Its going to take some playing with the size and shape of the foils.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:03 AM
TERBObob

Your probably right , but I honestly do think that I have that worked that out already . Going to be going a "little" off the norm of what you see on full sizers , but , I think it should work .
The back will be foil "pads" if you will , while the front will be kind shaped like a normal foil but wider at the bottom area , but not REAL wide , and not the normal U shape , so to speak .
Old 02-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Slayer-RCU

Ensure the CoG is correct - this could be a slightly bias comment. Good luck

Slayer
Old 02-28-2004, 07:19 PM
TERBObob

Yep ... that is for sure SLAYER ...
Also , not sure if you might ahve misunderstood ... its a hydrofoil , not hydroplane ..
But , the CG will be VERY carefully figured , since this type is like , unknown , even in the normal RC boating world ...
Old 02-29-2004, 08:34 AM
lawnsplus

It is strange, I was talking yesterday to a first class full size airplane builder about the same topic. He was telling me about how smooth and fast they were. He has been overseas and ridden in both hydrofoils and hovercrafts. He said that the hovercraft rode like a tank as opposed to the hydrofoil (as smooth as glass). He was telling me that I should build an airboat with airfoils. Keep us posted-John