PICS OF YOUR AIRBOATS

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

PICS OF YOUR AIRBOATS

Old 03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
canadianjosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PICS OF YOUR AIRBOATS

Let's see some pics of all of your airboats, I think this wil lgive us all, especially the noobe's some good ideas to work with. Here's mine: The first one is a foam/fiberglass hull, it measures 36"x 14" and has 2 .40'2 powering it with 11x7 props. JRXP642 radio, 4 servos,(one for each throttle and rudder). The second boat was my first one that i built, was balsa/fiberglass, some water got in and rotted the balsa rendering it useless. Same radio, and engines, and servo setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65192.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	110336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56887.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	110337  
Old 03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
ludovic

Default RE: PICS OF YOUR AIRBOATS

Hi guys!

Here is my little boat. 18x8x1.5, wood and foam construction, .061 for power.
single channel, rudder only, Futaba t2ph radio. Tips the scale at 1lb, 10oz.
Haven't run it yet, just needs a small temporary tank installed for trials, if all goes fine then I'll install a bigger one for longer runs.

If possible, this sunday will be it's baptism in life!!! I promise I'll keep you posted!

Name:	Us55289.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	110363  
Old 03-12-2004, 02:32 AM
pro27

ludovic........

looks great. Also looks like something I would build [8D]
Old 03-12-2004, 04:26 AM
brother

OS LA .40 32"x14"x2" Runs great! Foam core,balsa, and fiberglass.

Name:	Pn37768.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	110611  
Old 03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Model_Mann

these are a few of my air boats, i have a few im working on right now,
i still have to finish that tin hull,
Attached Images     
Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Model_Mann

very very nice, how does it run, is it fast[>:]
ORIGINAL: brother

OS LA .40 32"x14"x2" Runs great! Foam core,balsa, and fiberglass.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Model_Mann

dude, ill bet that this thing frickin flys (no pun intended) why do you have both engines being run by seperate servos, wouldnt you have a tendacy to have one motor gong faster than the otther,????
ORIGINAL: canadianjosh

Let's see some pics of all of your airboats, I think this wil lgive us all, especially the noobe's some good ideas to work with. Here's mine: The first one is a foam/fiberglass hull, it measures 36"x 14" and has 2 .40'2 powering it with 11x7 props. JRXP642 radio, 4 servos,(one for each throttle and rudder). The second boat was my first one that i built, was balsa/fiberglass, some water got in and rotted the balsa rendering it useless. Same radio, and engines, and servo setup.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:03 PM
rcairboat78

Here are pics of some of my boats

Name:	Jf11504.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	110686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64166.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	110687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30061.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	110688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35949.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	110689  
Old 03-12-2004, 12:06 PM
rcairboat78

Just gotta add a few actions shots! The middle picture, the boat took a nose dive and went completely underwater.

Name:	Tr50817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	110691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90593.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	110692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10222.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	110693  
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
canadianjosh

dude, ill bet that this thing frickin flys (no pun intended) why do you have both engines being run by seperate servos, wouldnt you have a tendacy to have one motor gong faster than the otther,????
The reason for separate servos is for the ease of tuning and throttle control. The engines are both .40's, one is a OS .40 la and the other is a OS .40 FX. Not too much difference here. But with my radio i can have each engine on a separate channel, my setup is left engine on engine channel, right engine on elevator channel. I can mix these channels so that the engine control stick controls both channels, this way when starting i can rev each engine separately and could even if i wanted mix the throttle channels into the rudder channels so that left rudder would back power off of the left engine to aid in turning, however, since my rudders are big enough to flip my boat( happened once allready) i don't need any more turning power, as well i can tune the engines so that half throttle on my radio is half throttle on both engines, most of the time i run at full throttle and then back it off to turn. With that said yes my boat moves, the bottom of the hull is pontoon style so there is only actually about 8 inches of width in contact with the water, it is fun to go full throttle on the water and hit the little sand bank on the beach and get some air, it also moves quick on the ground too, and actually will turn tighter on the ground then the water, i think this has to do a bit with the pontoon design, which makes the hull "grab" the water more. Below is a pic of my radio gear drying out after my flip. The only damage was two stripped servo gears and to my confidence as i watched that thing barrel roll on me. My servos are now waterproofed as they all filled with water, the receiver didn't even have a drop of water in it.

Name:	Wu60137.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	110782  
Old 03-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Slayer-RCU

This is Version 1 of my Boat.

Stay tuned for pics of Version 2 when modifications are complete.

Name:	Pn37392.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	110805  
Old 03-14-2004, 09:44 AM
A1RENCH

Hey Brother, where did you get the motor stand for your Airboat? What is it? Like black nylon or something? Looks like it would be much easier than making one!
Thanks,
Bud
Old 03-14-2004, 03:20 PM
canadianjosh

Are you asking me about my engine mounts??? If so they are glass filled nylon engine mounts from du-bro i believe, they are for airplanes to mount the engine to the firewall. Pretty cheap, and will fit almost any engine size and brand.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM
A1RENCH

CanadianJosh. no. I'm wondering about the motor stand on Brothers airboat. They look like glass filled nylon, too. Look at the motor stand "legs". They have sort of a waffle pattern to'em.
That's what I was asking about.
BTW How stable is your boat at 14 inches wide? Ever rolled it the water? What size prop are you running? That 3-Blader looks great on there!
Thanks,
Bud
Old 03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
ludovic

Hi Brother!

Nice boat you have!! I wonder if you can tell me what's on top of your radio box? Can't tell from the picture and I'm really curious!!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:18 AM
pro27

The mounts look like the ones from an Air Force. I beleive the later Flitecraft hulls also used the same uprights.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Model_Mann

ORIGINAL: canadianjosh

The reason for separate servos is for the ease of tuning and throttle control. The engines are both .40's, one is a OS .40 la and the other is a OS .40 FX. Not too much difference here. But with my radio i can have each engine on a separate channel, my setup is left engine on engine channel, right engine on elevator channel. I can mix these channels so that the engine control stick controls both channels, this way when starting i can rev each engine separately and could even if i wanted mix the throttle channels into the rudder channels so that left rudder would back power off of the left engine to aid in turning, however, since my rudders are big enough to flip my boat( happened once allready) i don't need any more turning power, as well i can tune the engines so that half throttle on my radio is half throttle on both engines, most of the time i run at full throttle and then back it off to turn. With that said yes my boat moves, the bottom of the hull is pontoon style so there is only actually about 8 inches of width in contact with the water, it is fun to go full throttle on the water and hit the little sand bank on the beach and get some air, it also moves quick on the ground too, and actually will turn tighter on the ground then the water, i think this has to do a bit with the pontoon design, which makes the hull "grab" the water more. Below is a pic of my radio gear drying out after my flip. The only damage was two stripped servo gears and to my confidence as i watched that thing barrel roll on me. My servos are now waterproofed as they all filled with water, the receiver didn't even have a drop of water in it.
so, is your radio a computer one, if so how many channel and how much was it cus if it's reasonable i might think about getting one......... when you say mixing the servos, you mean that it can combind more than one sensor(servo) into one raido wave and make 2, 3 or even 4 servos move at once,, if so that is soooooooo sweet,
Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Hughes500Pilot

Old 03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
canadianjosh

Yes my radio is a computer one, It is a JR XP642, they no longer make that model but instead the JR XP 662, same thing, just a few new mods and updates. Yes i can control more than one servo on one channel, the radio has preprogrammed mixes for things like flaperons, and elevons in airplanes, and then you can add 3 custom channel mixes, as well as adjust the percentage of movement of the mixed in servo to the master. As well there is exponential, servo reversing, servo trimming, travel adjustment in both directions, dual rates, and many more things you can do with this radio. It is a 6 channel radio, so standard radio for airplanes( throttle, elevator, ailerons, rudder, gear, and flaps) I bought it almost 6 yrs ago, it was about 500 dollars if i can remember correctly. Well worth it though, JR most likely has something for boats or cars with all the computer aid as well for cheaper. [link=http://www.jrradios.com]JR radios[/link] they have all the info here.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:15 AM
pro27

Hughes........what engine do you have in your Windy?

Looks sharp!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:09 AM
brother

Hey Bud, Pro27 is right they are for the Air Force air boat, the prop is a 10x6, I haven't rolled it but a friend did in two inches of water. It handles well but it turns really sharp, I think the air rudders are a bit big. Other than that it runs great.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:55 AM
A1RENCH

Hey thanks guys. Ya'll got any idea where I might find a pair of those engine stands?Do they sell them seperate from the kit?
I've been wondering too, what happens to the engine when you roll an airboat? That hot metal hitting cold water can't be good! So do you guys dump the water out and fire it back up, or is a tear down and clean up in order, or does it destroy the engine?
Thanks
Bud
Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 AM
pro27

Air Force parts can be gotten from Tower. The boat is part of the Hobbico Line.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGK9&P=X

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGM4&P=X
Old 03-16-2004, 09:47 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: A1RENCH

I've been wondering too, what happens to the engine when you roll an airboat? That hot metal hitting cold water can't be good! So do you guys dump the water out and fire it back up, or is a tear down and clean up in order, or does it destroy the engine?
Thanks
Bud
The result is instant water cooling

I'm sure the posibility of severe damage exists, but is unlikely.

For the most part, when you dump your boat it will get water into the engine. The best thing to do is dump it out, REMOVE the glow plug. Place your hand or a rag loosly over the top of the engine and turn it over several times for a total of about 30 seconds with your electric starter. This will pump out MOST of the water that was injested. What little moisture remains will do no harm as long as you run the engine again right afterwords.

The reason for the rag or your hand over the engine is so you don't get spray in your face or eyes (been there).
Old 03-16-2004, 12:02 PM
canadianjosh

When i rolled my boat over i didn't have time to start the engines back up so i simply plugged the carb at full throttle and hand truned the prop over about 10 times till fuel came out of the muffler. I let this sit for about an hour then i pulled the backplate and plug. Alcohol absorbs water like crazy and when it evaporates it takes the water with it leaving behind the oil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.