Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wings on boat

I was going through the entire 4 pages of the "34" airboat plans" topic, and noticed that some people had proposed the idea of adding canrd type wings to their hulls and how they'd go about controlling them. The problem with mounting wings at the front of the hull is that these will lift only the front of the hull and not the rear, which would be ideal. As soon as the front of the hull grabs the air we get a blowover. Now there were a few good ideas for controlling this front wing's ability modulate the lift it created. Now we seem to run into 2 problems with fornt canard wing, either they do their job and fly, and this creates the B.O., or they don't create enough lift and do nothing because as long as the hull is still in the water it creates drag. Now some of you may say yes but the wing partially lifts the front of the hull out of the water, well the planing action of the hull should take care of this anyways. So my thoughts are, create a wing that is centered about the CG, this would lift the hull where it matters most. You could also have a wing up front and one in the rear that would equally lift the boat and the attitude would remain the same. The latter I think posses a larger headache in that you need to figure out the static lift at a given airspeed and design the wings so that they don't lift or dive the bow. In terms of controlling lift, build a fully symetrical airfoil, yes fully symetrical. Now how do symetrical airfoils produce lift???? they don't, well they actually do, both sides do, but the lift cancels the opposing sides lift out. So we angle this airfoil upwards, this will create lift, just not as efficiently as a flat bottomed wing. However, we can rotate this wing, along the horizontal axis and effectively create or destroy lift. At zero degrees of up angle the wing would produce no lift, as well as producing very little drag. A flat bottomed wing can still produce lift even when it is angled down!!! This means to have no lift we'd be creating drag, no good!! So I think I might try this this summer, and waterproof the servos and keep trying till it works.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Wings on boat

There is a video and pics of a guy that strapped a wing on a airboat. It was a rear wing design only. It took off very easily. Looked awsome!! I will see if i can find the videos and pics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the boat 1BADHD is talking about. Also is a link where you can see it fly; scroll down about 3/4.

http://www.martysrcboats.com/boatavi.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Owner, \"Selph-Inflicted\" RC Airboats & RC Airboat World
    RCAA (Radio Controlled Airboat Association)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that be it.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is one fine vid. Had to replay it a half dozen times
    Catch a Gator by the Tail and hang on for the Ride!
    Cajun Gator Airboats, M.AB.A

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't seen him for a while , but that fellow who builds them boats IS a member here in the airboating section .[8D]
    \"experienced \" is just another way of saying that you already did all the mess ups and should know better now !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is his name Terbo?
    Would love to talk to him about it!!
    Owner, \"Selph-Inflicted\" RC Airboats & RC Airboat World
    RCAA (Radio Controlled Airboat Association)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think.........it might have been du-groundeffects

There was a link to the WIGS site, but I can't find it now. Must be looking too hard
    Mark

It\'s not a sense of humor.....It\'s an ATTITUDE!
    K-Motion R/C Aero-Marine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I have seen these boats fly, they are WIG's. I would ike to try and build a boat that can vector the wing to lift it almost all the way out of the water, as well the wing would be above the upper surface of the hull, thus no ground effect would occur, well it would, but the force upon the upper hull would cancel it out.