RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Nitro car/truck engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:43 PM
BoneHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro car/truck engines?

Hey All,

I've been reading all your posts over the past week, and I'm very impressed! I thought I was one of the few who loved Air Boats!!! Guess I was Wrong! Anyways, I'm in the process of scratch building an Air Boat (as my first was lost years ago when the rudder didn't respond - was on Lake Ontario - No way to rescue it!) and I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the nitro car/truck engines? I didn't know if the shaft diameter was too small/big, or not long enough to support a prop. I notice alot of them you can get with a pull starter, and that's what interests me the most. EASY STARTS!! Anways....glad you are all here.....will keep you posted on the progress!!

BoneHead!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:51 AM
pro27

Default RE: Nitro car/truck engines?

There are FEW car/truck engines out there that will work with an airprop as they come out of the box.
The reason for this is that these engines (for the most part) are made specifically for a car/truck, and as such, have a slightly shorter crankcase, up front, which puts the drive area(if a prop were used) very close or behind the drive surface and a prop would hit the carb or part of it.

There are some where a prop will work on it. But I don't know any specific ones.

If interested in this type engine, I would suggest going to a hobby shop and try to fit an airplane prop on the actual engine to see if it has clearance near the carb.

Also, most car/truck engines that come with a PS will be in a smaller displacement, ie: .12, .15, .16, .18 and a few above a .21.
These are very powerful engines as they are designed. How well they would work in an airprop configuration is not yet known..

Oh Yea.........welcome to the forum.......
Old 05-15-2004, 12:55 AM
canadianjosh

If you currently have a nitro or a truck engine try to use it. The thing about airboating is most parts are modified or homemade. However if you are going to buy an engine i suggest buying an airplane one. Here are the reasons:
1. cheaper!!! 2. there are thrust bearings/bushings for the lateral pull or push the prop develops. 3. Availible in way more sizes, a .12 or .15 will move a little boat, if you want something you can see 100 feet out look in the .40 range. also props will fit with no need to mod or fabricate an adapter. Also, a pull started may make easy starts for a truck or car, but in an airboat a proper starter works way better! All you really need for an electric starter is a spinner or spinner nut, and a replacement starter cone with rubber insert. Take a bolt and put it through the hole so you have a stater cone on a shaft, then all you need is a 16volt or 18 volt cordless drill/driver that will spin it fast enough to start it, this is what i use, and it fires all the time!. No sore shoulders or arms!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 07:16 AM
BoneHead

Hey - Canadianjosh and pro,

Thanks for the advise on the engines, I never thought of the shorter crankcase causing the prop to possibly hit the carb! The reasoning behind the pull start was that I wouldn't need to buy a starter (or electric drill - good thought though Canadianjosh!), guess it's back to the ol' Chicken Stick!!! LOL. As it is, I need to buy a new receiver and battery pack just to get my radio working ! LOL. I know that these parts can be found cheap (ebay!!!!!!), but I'm very strapped for cash as the company I work for has been reducing hours and that sucks! I was hoping that there were some clubs that were very close to my area, but no such luck. I know of about 2, but they are strictly sailing clubs! My g/f's family lives in the 1000 Islands, so there always a place to boat when I go up. Anyways, gotta get some coffee, and go enjoy another one of my hobbies.... Stunt/Power kiteing!!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Wlecome to the forum!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 09:46 AM
pro27

Car/truck engines are a whole new breed, so to speak. They are being made solely for this purpose. The designs are similar to aircraft engines, but changes are made specifically to allow them to be used in cramped spaces.
These engines are also much more powerful than airplane engines of the same displacement due to timing and porting differences, as well as larger carbs. ( there are numerous .12 size engines that put out more power than an airplane .20-.25 engine)

Gone are the days of airplane engines converted to be used for other purposes. Now, everything is designed type specific.