RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

weird question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 PM
masterofpuppets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird question

Why is it that some boats have there propeller facing the front of the boat instead of the back? Does it matter because I dont want to put on my engine the wrong way.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: weird question

Ones with the prop out back are pushers and one's with the prop facing the front are pullers where the air is forced on the motor this way is much better than the pusher way where the pusher pulls air past the motor..
I learned this from the good guy's here not to long ago now all my boats are pullers!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:03 PM
sirwalter
My Feedback: (1)

I'm like Sweetz28.
I started with "Pushers" and learned that "Pullers" are best.
However, if I were to build a model of a true "Swamp Boat" I would by all means use a "Pusher"...!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Selph-Inflicted

If you are running a nitro motor you are going to want to run it with a puller prop.
Nitro's will loose their engine life due to poor heat distribution if you use a pusher prop.
They are designed to have the prop "blowing" air over the head to cool it. With more rpm's, you
generate more heat...with more rpm's, you "blow" more air over the head to disperse
the generated heat with the prop.

Props pull most of their wind from the tip section. So if you have a pusher prop on a
nitro, the only cooling it gets is the motion of the vessel. And that is nowhere near
the air that the prop puts out.

Happy Building!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running with a puller prop, is easer to set up the hull to run better. It is helping with the CG, keeping the hull from bouncing or back flipping. Its a little hard to explain, but when explain correctly, is very easy to understand. Hopefuly some one will add to this.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:28 AM
pro27

Prop selection choices and avaiability also play a little part in this. Pusher props do not come in as wide a range of sizes as puller props do.

Hal.....ya had to go and open it didn't ya....

What Haljmac eluded to is pertaining to the physics properties that act upon the hull. The two major areas are that of Center of Gravity (COG) and Center of Thrust (COT). Both of these work together to allow the hull to have certain ride/planing characteristics (bouncing, hopping, back-flipping as wel as speed).

In a puller/tractor configuration, these properties are easier to calculate and adjust for than a pusher.

As dadaddyro stated, the main purpose is for engine cooling to maintain the life of the engine. It's also so much easier to set up a nitro engine as a tractor as far as linkages and plumbing go.