Reload this Page >

Do you need to cover blue board?

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Do you need to cover blue board?

Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
jester125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to cover blue board?

Is it really important to cover the blue board with fiberglass or resin or can I just glue the engine stand/brace with the electronics to the bare board (for now)?

thanks
chris
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
dadkins

Default RE: Do you need to cover blue board?

I have had Really good luck just using the pink or blue foam alone, or with a couple coats of latex paint over for protection you do have to be a little careful on grass - asphalt and cement are out. Water is GOOD ! !
My Initial though was to fine tune the hull then glass it. But it is so durable It will easily last 50-100 runs - unless you hit a dock or something solid. 2" foam has enough floatation to be able to sand 1/8 - 1/4" off and re -shape or smooth off the bottom a couple of times.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Selph-Inflicted

In my opinion its very important to cover the foam and also to epoxy the base to the foam instead of glue for a couple of reasons.

First is waterproofing. Foam has the ability to absorb water, especially after if has been sanded on. This will eventually add weigth to the boat. Blue, yellow, and pink are denser foams than the white. White is the worst about water absorption.

Second is durability w/ a sense of security. Without any protection you would have to confine the running to strictly open water. Any floating or slightly submerged twigs or debris is gonna do some damage. Any "knicks" or "gouges" on the bottom is going to affect the performance of the boat. I laminate 1/8 doorskin on the bottom and rake for added protection. That allows me to run dry ground without any worries. I have flipped a boat on dry ground at 3/4 throttle. It rolled head over heals three times before it landed. It suffered some damege but it was minimal. The epoxy held the boat together, all that was affected was the corners that hit during the roll. Without the epoxy, I believe it would have snapped the boat into a couple of pieces.
I like to epoxy my stands to the foam then glass over that. Again for added security. Keep in mind that's what gonna keep the motor from seperating from the boat.

Just my experience from my buildings.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:25 AM
pro27

I go along with dadaddyro. Glassing it over adds at least 200% more strength to the hull. In essence, forming a shell.

For a low powered hull you may have no problems with durability. But then there is always the ever present dings and dangs that happen just in handling the hull that can surprisingly damage the hull to a point where it has weak spots. I'd hate to see a hull disintergrate on the water going wide open.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:18 AM
jester125

Thanks guys, how much epoxy should I need for a board 12"X18" and also do I apply it like paint? The engine I have (for now) is a magnum .10, I dont plan on using it on anything but water or maybe grass in a small pond next to my house.

chris
Old 07-23-2004, 09:58 AM
pro27

You will not need a whole lot. When it comes to surfacing or glassing, a little goes a long way.

Dadaddyro has a good explanation on how to...........here...............

http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin...topic.php?t=49