RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

New "Windy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New "Windy"

Just finished my Dumas Windy. Turned out rather well. Since I've been modeling for some 70 years I was able to figure out what they left out of the instructions. I will post pictures soon. Bought a new OS .10LA and installed it. If you ever buy one of these engines you'll find that the instructions are as puzzling as the Dumas ones. It has two inlets on the rear of the engines and they don't both go to the carburetor. The one on the RH side, facing forward, goes to the carb and the one on the left is the fuel line from the tank. Nothing in the owner's manual will tell you this tidy bit of info. The pile of fuel tubing on the rear of the engine looks much like a plate of spaghetti.
Dumas says to put a 3 oz. tank in the pylon. Can't. The largest I could shoehorn in was
2 oz. Oh well with a .10 engine it should work long enough for a couple of laps around the pond. If not I will modify the pylon for a 4 oz.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM
fishjunky

Default RE: New "Windy"

Can't wait to see the pics.... and if possible some video footage. Glad to hear it all came together.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Fluid

Hmmmm...the LA engines have a "remote" needle valve located at the rear of the engine, rather than being an integral part of the carb; this is for safety reasons, keeping fingers away from the prop. It would seem to be inuitive that the fuel must go from the tank to the needle valve and then to the carb. I can understand why OS left this out of the instructions.....except that this engine is most often used in entry-level planes whose owners might not know this little fact.[8D]

Old 08-14-2004, 01:45 PM
ballgunner

The picture you show of the OS .40 LA has only one fuel inlet from the tank. The OS .10 LA has two. Nothing in the manual will tell you which goes where. I found out how to do it by measuring the needle valve against the fuel inlet manifold. It is long enough to reach the RH inlet but too long to open or close the LH inlet. Someone at OS probably decided to have a little fun with the cheapest engine they have. It will work as I described it. If you hook it up in what would seem a normal manner you can wear out a couple of glow plug igniters and a starter trying to get even a pop. It even came out of the box with a short piece of fuel tubing on the wrong inlet. I have lots of engines and only one other LA. It's a .46 and is normal in all other respects. One inlet to the needle valve.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Fluid

Odd, but like I said, since the LAs are entry-level engines the instructions should be more clear. The photo is the one on the OS website for the .10LA, but of course it says 40 on the casting.