Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Swamp Buggy woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Keester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swamp Buggy woes

Question, I finnally trimmed out and balanced my airboat [Dumas Big Swamp Buggy], Ran real well. I adjusted my engine angle w/washers and installed a 10-7 prop on my LA 40 and wow. Until I plowed it into a concrete bulkhead that surounds my test pond. I seem to loose steering at a high planning speed. At half throttle it turns on a dime, or burst the throttle with the controls maxed it turns well. Why does it loose control at high speeds? Is this inherrent to the model? I looked at the control rods, while they are flexible but they seem stiff enough. Maybe not. I am going to glue it all back together and make a fiberglass mold out of it, and need some sugg. or input before I attempt this design again.
Thanks for your time.
Keester
Old 09-07-2004, 03:40 PM
1BADHD

Default RE: Swamp Buggy woes

If it has a flat bottom, that is natural. It kinda skips across the water at speed. Nothing abormal.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Keester

I see what you mean with a flat bottom, but this is a tunnel hull and turns on a rail at 1/2 throttle. No sliding.
Thanks
Keester
Old 09-07-2004, 11:21 PM
pro27

Being a tunnel hull, you may want to try a turn fin (as long as it will only be run on water).

To make it work equally to turn in both directions, mount it to the hull bottom, about 1/3 the hull length from the transom (or...slightly behing the cog).

Make it, so when you look at the hull from the side all you can see is a portion of the fin about 1/2" tall and about 2" long. The actual size will be bigger due to part of it not sticking out below the hull bottom.

A simple way to make one would be to bend a piece of brass strip into an 'L' shape and screw it into the hull bottom.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:29 PM
1BADHD

ORIGINAL: Keester

I see what you mean with a flat bottom, but this is a tunnel hull and turns on a rail at 1/2 throttle. No sliding.
Thanks
Keester
Hmmm....Well then. I would go with waht Por27 said.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:50 PM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

How about your servo? Is it strong enogh? Just my 2 cents worth. Best to ya!!!
Gordy
Old 09-09-2004, 10:28 AM
dadkins

Are your rudder/ rudders big enough ? As this tunnel gets going faster it tracks on the sponson rails and with the wind speed of going faster - turning is less effective.I would try bigger rudders / more throw -before adding anything below the waterline as there are lots of weeds and crud where I usually run.