Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

KSJ Pacer Airboat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:04 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KSJ Pacer Airboat

Well guys, an oppurtunity has come up that I can't refuse. I work at a hobby shop part time, and there has been this airboat that didn't sell for quite some time. I finally talked the boss in to giving me a price on it...get this, a $449 boat, for the price of $255.79!

Does anyone here have this boat, or does anyone know much about it?
How is it? Is it quick? Handle good? What do you think needs to be improved?

Please, I'd like to hear any info you have to offer!

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: KSJ Pacer Airboat

Pete , aka SUBSINKER has one ... hopefully he will fill you in on all the details ...
Old 09-19-2004, 08:12 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Ohh well good, I'm glad to hear someone else on here has one!

I look forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM
hellomynameisdookie

The Pacer comes with a wood prop, but I've read on here a few times that wood props are just dangerous. The prop is comes with looks like it has been treated....is it still ok to use, or should I just immediately swap it out for a plastic one?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
TERBObob

Swap that booger out immediately !
Water and wooden props just do NOT mix .... that wooden prop will literally come apart and hurl little slivers ALL over ....
Old 09-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Yes....replace it.
I like the MasterAirscrew props. They are good and tough.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Alright guys, will do.

The engine is an MDS .38 heli engine. Any reccomendations on prop sizes?

Still waiting to hear from SubSinker about how he likes it....
Old 09-20-2004, 07:06 PM
TERBObob

I would try the same as a 40 size engine .... and then go from there ( with upping the pitch or diameter )
And about SUB ... did you try PM'ing him ???
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 PM
More HP
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Dookie, I've got one pacer I run every chance I get, and another hull and almost all the parts to get the second one running as well. I wasn't too happy with the MDS however, I got it used, that may have had something to do with it.

It handles so great, you can play around with the trim tabs if you need to. If you get in trouble, like about to crash into shore or something just crank it left or right and gas it, it'll spin right around and you can cruise away. It's a blast to go screaming around the water completely sideways. Someday I'll get some video of mine, really, REALLY busy at work this time of year.

The only thing I have found that could very well be what led to the downfall of the Pacer is the belt drive setup. The reduction ratio works great I think, and having the engine low also keeps a low center of gravity. But those little tiny V belts are expensive, and I don't care how much anyone checks the alignment and tension, they just aren't up to the task, they'll start slipping while trying to start the engine and then there they go.....

Right now I have someone looking at mine to make pulleys for a cogged timing belt setup, like a lot of cars and helis use. I met a guy recently who MAKES HIS OWN twin cylinder four valve four strokes for R/C pylon racers, 80 or 100 cc I think. I can't wait to go get it wet again. Haven't figured out what I should use for power on the other hull, maybe the new YS 63S ?

You could always just get it while you can, and if you don't want to mess with the belt setup later on down the road, make your own engine mount and go with a direct drive prop!

Go make waves...
Matt
Old 09-21-2004, 04:55 AM
hellomynameisdookie

Yes the belts are the only thing I don't like...and yes they are VERY expensive to replace! $29.99 for 3!

If you figure out a way to get rid of the belts, let me know!

Do you ever have any problems with it tipping over? (And how's the rough water handling?)

What prop are you using with the stock setup?

Thanks for the reply,
Bryan
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Dookie,
Cool, go for it or I will!!!! Seriously. The boat is a lot of fun to run. You can do a "dirt track slide" with it in turning. It will go over marshy water or open water just like a real one. I did paint mine woodland camo and put a 21st century toys tanker for the driver. He looks right at home. As far as dislikes, I really don't care for the drive system. I even thought about having a machinist make a pair of cogged pulleys for the drive. I seem to go through more than my share of those belts. Yes, they are quite expensive too. Also, I didn't much care for the MDS38 motor (don't send me hate mail if you like them, thats fine!) so I replaced it with an OS 52. Easy swap and sounds way more realistic. The OS idles right down and just purrs and when you mash the throttle it will get up and scoot. If you buy it and find a better drive system than what they give you let me know.

All in all this is a very fun boat to run and if you can get it that cheap its a no-brainer.

Best regards,
Pete
Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM
hellomynameisdookie

That's just what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the input.

I checked prices on the belts, and for a set of 3 it'll cost $29.99!! Have you found it any cheaper?

I'm sure there's gotta be a way to rig up a geared setup.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:04 PM
More HP
My Feedback: (2)

I think with the stock MDS I tried the 10X7 and 10X6. I quickly realized it would be a dog no matter what, so I just had to put my four stroke on it! When I last ran it with the original drive system, I had worked up to an APC 12X6, what a screamer with a different cam and carb in the stroker! Never did get a tach on it, hell, the belts slipped anyway.

Matt
Old 09-23-2004, 03:20 PM
subsinker

Dookie,

Just found another KSJ on E Bay. Had to tell myself one is enough....didn't work though. Buy it now for $300.00 RTR It has never been run. Anyway, just thought I would let you know. Will get some pics posted and maybe a few with it in the lake.

Take care!
Pete
Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
hellomynameisdookie

I'd love to see some pics of your Pacers! I'll be picking mine up tomorrow night, I can't wait!
I think I'm going to paint the hull all black and go for that "stealth navy seal" type of look. What kind of paints do you guys reccomend?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:31 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Just for the heck of it I looked for it on Ebay...couldn't find it though.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
subsinker

Dookie,

I used Krylon camoflage colors in a spray can. They make the colors for people that want to camo all sorts of stuff, duck blinds, boats etc. I believe the colors I used were black, OD green, brown and tan. I then cleared it with fuel proof clear for protection.

Oh, one other thing about the belts. You can get them thru Horizon Hobbies here in Illinois. They do internet mail orders and the price is around 24.00 a pair...not cheap but still 5.00 cheaper than you mentioned. Horizon is awesome with service. I order parts all the time from there and have them within a couple days (course, they are only about 50 miles from where I live) They still carry many spare parts for the boat. I am thinking about stocking up on these parts as they seem to be getting fewer and fewer. Also, ehobbies.com has them. I have not ordered from there so I don't know how they are.

PS: I couldn't resist the price for the one on E Bay... I bought it

Take care,
Pete
Old 09-26-2004, 09:54 AM
hellomynameisdookie

Well guys, I've been working on this kit off and on for 2 days now. It's a tough kit! The directions are the best either..., but they'll have to do I suppose.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:27 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Hey Sub, how many belts are you using? I'm using 3, so hopefully that will help them last a little bit longer. How often do you have to replace your belts? Ever tried using "Belt Dressing" on them?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:45 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Hey Sub, one more question for you. How do you run the fuel line? I've never used anything that required a pump to fill the tank before...how/where do you use the tee/filter that they give you? Pics would be soooo helpfull!!!

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
subsinker

Bryan,

I did something a little different with mine. I bought a fuel filler button and hooked it up that way. It was very simple. I made a little aluminum bracket that mounted it on the engine support arm. From there is was as simple as installing and plumbing the button. If memory servs me correctly, there are three nipples on the fuel tank so I just used the spare nipple for the filler. (I think thats how I did it, check your fuel tank first) If you follow the instructions that come with a fuel filler package you will have no problem. The big advantage of doing it that way is that you will not have to remove the fuel line from the carb to fill it. You simply pull out the button and using a syringe fill the tank.

As for belts, the OS52 has gobs of torque but it does fine with two. If you need to use three then by all means. I seem to replace them once or twice a season, depending on how much I run the boat. The biggest problem I have with those belts is that they like to somehow turn themselves inside out. I have tried re-aligning pulleys, etc and the problem persists. If I ever find the culprit I will be sure and post my findings.

Best regards,
Pete
Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 PM
hellomynameisdookie

"If you follow the instructions that come with a fuel filler package you will have no problem. "

Here lies the problem.....THE DIRECTIONS SUCK!!!! These are probably the worst directions I've ever had. The wording is off, and the pictures don't depict anything but shadows! All my manual says for the fuel tank, is how to make up the innards of it (the pick up line inside the tank)...nothing of the valve or how to fill it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel button.

I'll let you know how she runs soon enough! I'm almost done with the assembly. I don't think I'm going to use the seats, just the radio box.

Thanks again Pete.

Bryan
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
hellomynameisdookie

Also, I don't know how your assembly went, but with mine I've had to do quite a bit of custom fabrication...which doesn't bother me at all, I like that sort of thing. But IMO it's not at all a beginner's kit.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
hellomynameisdookie

I can't get the engine to fire. I'm going out of my friggin mind. I'm by no means a beginner when it comes to nitro engines, I've been into this for years! The dang thing won't fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subsinker, what are your needle setting at? (high and low please!!)

Is there something special with a heli engine you're supposed to do that I'm not doing?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Azimut

Hi Sub, Hi dookie,

Grabbed one on the net too, with the .38 heli engine. Should be on its way to me. SUb, would you mind sending me a few pics from yours, I'd love to see how you have transformed the engine mount/engine part... email is infoATeolismedia.com (hate to put the @ i, otherwise my add5resse agains ends up in one of those spam directoiries).

Thx in advance and "happy flying!"

Jp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.