Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

windy force?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 04:01 PM
eas___1990

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windy force?

does any one have this boat its on tower right here http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE386&P=0

please reply,
ethan
Old 10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
BelieveThePipe

Default RE: windy force?

i am currently building it right now if you have any questions just post them.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:22 AM
dadkins

I can tell you that that thing is not going to go very fast with a .10 on it I would go more like a .40 might be OK on water with a .10 but will not go on the beach as claimed.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I have one and it runs well. Won't turn the lake to steam but it goes fairly fast and handles very nicely. Unless you are an experienced model builder, or have a friend with some experience with plywood, I wouldn't recommend the kit. The instructions are among the worst in the industry and the die crunching on the plywood is as bad as I've seen. I have been building for many, many years and overcame the building problems. They recommend a 3 oz. fuel tank. If you can find that size tank you will have to acquire a large shoehorn to get it in the pylon. By the way there aren't any 3 oz tanks on the market. I had to modify the pylon to take a 4 oz tank. The 2 oz that fit wouldn't get past the center of the pond. With some care it can turn out to be a nice boat that runs well and handles nicely. Use something other than an OS .10. That engine has a wierd fuel and needle valve dual intake manifold. Any other .10 will probably work as well. An OS .15 should work just fine. Take plenty of time to align the firewall properly. You might want to consider a different method of hinging the rudder as well.
Now that mine is done it looks nice and I'm enjoying putting around the pond.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:56 PM
eas___1990

ok well that got me pretty well situated in my lil pee brian
Old 10-29-2004, 04:22 PM
BelieveThePipe

ballgunner do you have any pictures of the finished model and of the modifications you made?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:23 PM
hellomynameisdookie

HAHAHA your little pee what? You don't have a nickname for anything personal do you??

ORIGINAL: eas___1990

ok well that got me pretty well situated in my lil pee brian
Old 10-29-2004, 07:12 PM
eas___1990

my mind brian noggin etc. basically the thing iin my skull
Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

(SHHHHHHH ....... it's BRAIN )
Old 10-29-2004, 07:55 PM
eas___1990

ok i gues im an inaniment object now i feel unwanted,not loved, now that not good [X(]
Old 10-30-2004, 02:08 PM
ballgunner

For believethepipe: Yes I will soon have some pictures of my Windy and will post as soon as I discover the tricks for my digital camera. It's still a nice boat despite the efforts of Dumas to confuse builders. I may build another now that I've found the tricks. I have a screamer of a .15 engine that should do just fine. I also know how to enlarge the pylon for the tank and how to line up the thrust line.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:27 PM
eas___1990

cool cant wait to see them man
Old 11-04-2004, 07:10 AM
rodskogj

I am running a Windy with an old .25 (like 15 years old, but not used much) and it flies. I started with a new .15, but it just did not get up to any 'fun' speed. With a .25 it zips along the water at an excellent speed and you see signs of speed instability, but nothing thats difficult to handle. My buddy who built one with me has a .32 on his and it is ballistic! Flat stick down the straight and it will become unstable and flip, but full power on sweeping turns is great! This thing really flies and is awesome fun.

This is a time consuming but fun boat to build, but there are a few mods I would make right of the bat if I was to do it again:
1. Modify the top for a 4oz tank right from the start
2. Build engine mount a little higher than plans if you are using a larger engine. Swinging a 9inch prop really brings out the power of a .25
3. Extra ply on tail fin to make it a bit thicker/sturdier (with bigger engine)
4. Make radio box cover/opening a little bigger. you need damn small hands to fix stuff in there otherwise (i.e. antenna mount)
5. Do not use standard rudder hinge system. It works great in the beginning, but will eventually fall apart and become a real hassle. Use aircraft hinges right from the start.

Go build it and have some serious fun!

Johan
Old 11-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Got any pics?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
ballgunner

I spite of my previous complaints aout the Windy kit from Dumas I just ordered another because I found a .15 engine on a shelf not in use. It was a screamer when I last flew it about 5 years ago so I decided to take the plunge again. I should really buiild two of everything because I learn so much from the first that I always get the second one right. I will increase the pylon size for a 4 oz tank and raise it so that I'll have clearance for a larger prop. I have ides for the rudder hinges and the throttle cable as well. The RX and servo compartment can use a few changes as well. Access to the electronics will definitely be improved. A couple of clips instead of 6 fasteners will make it easier. Some of the plywood crunching will be overcome by duplication with better wood. As they say; Once bitten, twice shy. Now I know the necessary tricks.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 PM
goaty

hey guys i got one on ebay a while ago and have been basically rebiuling the thing. it was electric at one time and i am wondering about doing that again , i think i would really like a .15 on it though i love the smell of model fuel i am also kicking the idea around of an .049 just to try since i have a couple and dont have a.15 yet an elctric set up would probably be faster ithink than an .049 anyway has anyone removed or built without the skeg and bottom chime rail id like to remove because i think it would be a lot more fun but i dont know how it would react i dont want it flipping all the time any suggestions would be great
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 PM
ballgunner

DO NOT REMOVE THE SKEG!! You can make it shorter and not as high off the hull bottom but don't leave it off. An .049 probably won't get you away from the dock. A .10 is not a screamer but it's a good start unless you have other airboat experience. If you can, try to enlarge the pylon to hold a 3oz Hayes tank. Hayes is the only one making a 3oz that I know of. I have 4.5oz tank in mine and it's just about the right size but it took some shoehorning and modifications to get it in. I can't imagine what type of electric motor would work on it at all unless you are willing to invest a large chunk of cash in one of the larger brushless motors. that would flatten a nicad battery pack in no time at all in addition to the cost of the ESC and a Li-poly battery to make it practical. For a kit boat that only costs $59.99 from Tower you would have at least six or eight times the cost in the propulsion system alone. Stick to nitro. A new LA .10 is $52.99 from tower and the .15 can't be much more. Go for the .15.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:48 AM
goaty

thanks for the input. that skeg was just huge looking and i stated thinking this will not do slides but it lokks like it woud go straifgt very well. any way it is hard to hold back from modifying stuff sometimes but without experience you can screw stuff up. i saw a 2 oz tank from dubro at the lhs last night looks like it would sort of fit ok. yeh i think yhe .15 will be the most fun at the lhs they had a trick little .15 that they said rips (cant remember the name).thanks a bunch