RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Check out my first airboat!! new pics added!! real thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check out my first airboat!! new pics added!! real thing

Hey guys, while my foamy plane was down, I got a wild hair and built this boat. The hull is 20" x 9" 1/64 plywood. The cross members are basswood 1/16x1/8. It has a brushless 400 and a 3 cell 1340mah Li-poly pack turning a 3 blabe 9x6 gws. The whole boat is covered with polyuathane.(?spelling)

This was my first atempt at building a boat of any kind. I must admit that I did have one to go buy. My dad built a full scale 15 years ago. I tryed to remember what he did and built it from some old pictures.

It isn't finished yet but I just had to try it out before I went any farther. I must say it performed flawlessly. Lots of power and very stable. I will lean in a turn just like my dads did. The twin rudders work very well. Although it will haul tail, half throttle looks very scale.

I was thinking of putting a brushed motor on it to get my high dollar motor and speed controller off of it. I believe a speed 400 would be just right. Beside my new foamy will be in soon.

I hope you guys like it,
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64979.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	192736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83862.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	192737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98882.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	192738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65304.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	192739  
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check out my first airboat!!

Nice job!! [8D]
You done an excellent job for your first! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

What type of bottom? Flat? V-hull?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Thunderbolt47

It's flat bottom and very slick. The back is slightly rounded on the sides and slowly fades to flat near the front. This is what makes it bank in the turns.

I also forgot to mention that I fiberglass the bottom with 3/4 cloth. I was practicing for my warbird glassing.

If you look in this picture maybe you can see how I rounded the back.

Kelly
Old 11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Thunderbolt47

ops here is the picture. I had to brighten it up so maybe you can see it.

Kelly

Name:	Rp42518.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	192772  
Old 11-14-2004, 05:58 PM
realityracing

Nice work. I am in the process of building a prototype using HDPE. I like the rounded stern and the way it helps your boat dig into the water when turning. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 AM
asmithnc

I really like your scratch build. Nice job on the water proof box. How does the boat handle at top speed, is the nose light.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Thunderbolt47

asmithnc, There is a little down thrust in it so the faster you go the more it pushes the front down. I didn't realize it had down in it. I was going to level it off to see if that would help the top end speed. As I said before, the power combo I have is way more than is needed. Half throttle is very good for cruising the river here at the house. It has a nice plane to it and I really like the way it digs and slides a little in the turns.

I took it to my Dads for final inspection, and it passed!! I even let him run it some. He said that I got it right and was impressed with how it ran just like his real one did.

If I can get the pics from him I will post a few of his real one he built 15 years ago. It had a corvair flat 6 for power 100hp. He even made the prop, from drawings from the encyclapedia.

OK story time.
I was about 13 or 14 years old when he built it, and I remember my dad testing the engine and prop. He had it in the back of a Ford Curier pickup, mounted on the stand, bolted to two 4x4 post, chained to the bed. A friend was driving and me in the middle with my brother. My dad was standing in the back of the truck working the throttle with his hand. A 5 gallon gear oil bucket for a gas tank. No mufflers, just the short manifold pipe. God that thing was loud!! well it would push that little truck 80 mph on the 2 mile striaght away in front of our house. It's a wonder we didn't all get killed. The neighbors all came to the house wondering what was going on. They all thought a plane was trying to take off from the hiway. Wow what memories

I hope I didn't bore everybody with that story. Just one of the many stories I have, all thanks to my Dad. A Jack of all Trades and a master of many others.

Maybe, I'll put a picture of his latest creation. A jet drive canoe. The ultimate fishin boat.

Later everone,
Kelly
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 PM
dadkins

Nice story ! Great to hear that other survived a little.. experimenting...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Thunderbolt47

Ok guys, I got the picts from my dad. They have been stapled to the shop wall for 15 to 16 years, so they look alittle rough with the fly crap and other shop stains.

That's two 12' jon boats welded side to side, with a corvair horzonal 6 cylinder engine 100hp The pic of the prop is the one he made from 6 oak boards laminated together. Then fiberglassed. He built every part of this boat. It also has twin rudders.

Enjoy,
Kelly

Name:	Ge96938.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	193947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53287.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	193948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37641.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	193949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91128.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	193950  
Old 11-18-2004, 05:31 AM
asmithnc

Default RE: Check out my first airboat!! new pics added!! real thing

Is Beulaville down east, it looks to be sandy. That boat looks to be alot of fun. Our local rescue squad at the lake has a ten person air boat. I always love to hear a loud airboat.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:14 AM
Thunderbolt47

Default RE: Check out my first airboat!! new pics added!! real thing

Beulaville is on HW24 between exit 373 on I 40 and Jacksonville. (Duplin CO) We ran that boat on the NE Cape Fear River. It is seldom deep enough to run a motorboat but the airboat only needed an inch of water 8 feet wide.

Kelly