RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

does it go in the skirt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 AM
CliffR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does it go in the skirt

i am building my own hovercraft, i have one engine for lift and thrust. i was wondering. do i need the air for the lift to go straigt in the skirt, and then from out of the skirt into under the hovercraft via holes. any help would be appricated
Old 02-11-2005, 10:51 PM
eas___1990

Default RE: does it go in the skirt

hmmm i remember my cousin tellin me a way to make it where you get a pusher prop and well maybe i can make a drawing...

l lll
ll llllllllll
lll lllllllllll
llll-----lllllllllllll
llll llllllllllllll
lll lllllllllll
\ lll llllllll
\ ll llllllll
\ l llllllll
\ ________lllllll___________________________________ _______________
\ \
\_________________________________________________ ______________/
ok the air goes down the thing in the skirt and should push enough air down in it to pressurize it...ok it gets messed up when i subit
Old 02-12-2005, 04:09 AM
adam_s_101

Default RE: does it go in the skirt

Hi, there are loads of ways to do this.
The principal i think is that air is moved downwards and if enough air is moved in a given time the skirt will pressurise but with air leaking out between the skirt and the ground. This is the cushion of air the the hovercraft hovers on.
There are quite a few ways you can get the air. One way is to divert the air being moved by the main prop at the back using a duct type thing and take it under the craft. Another is to drive another prop (that pushes air under the craft) from the main engine(this i think is hard to set up and i dont like it). Or the method i think would work best is to have an electric motor (or maybe even a small nitro engine depending on the size of the craft) set up as a pusher to push air under the craft.
If you dont like the look of having to sew a skirt then i had the idea (its probably been done before but i dont know) of using a bike inner tube. If you put the inner tube in a wrapping and then sew the wrapping to the base of the craft (a bit like the way it works on a bike with the wrapping being the tyre). Make sure that there is a way of getting the innner tube out of the wrapping. Then just pump the innner tube up when you want to use it and replace it if it bursts.
well i hope that helps anyway