Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

"Selph-Inflicted" Flat Bottom Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Selph-Inflicted" Flat Bottom Video

Here is a little video I thought I would share. It shows my flat bottoms in action. These are two of my older boats. The "Mean Green" and "The Black Light Special". Both powered by an OS46FX.
http://rcairboats.net/v-web/gallery/...lat_Bottom.wmv
Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Model_Mann

Default RE: "Selp-Inflicted" Flat Bottom Video

hol cow that flip was sweet, was that intentional, or by accident, any how it was cool
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Default RE: "Selp-Inflicted" Flat Bottom Video

That flip is what happens when a flat bottom boat has enough speed that when you deaccelerate the wind pressure under the bow is greater than that on the top of the deck....thus creating lift and causing the boat to blow-over. This is typical with a flat bottom boat that is very light.

This flip wasn't intention. I was trying to get a good shot of it hauling some "taters". I deaccelerated a bit too fast and you can see the result. I have captured 3 flips on video (this is the closet shot) and believe that if you have enough speed going and just a split second before you deaccelerate completey, turn the rudder to the left, you will have enough momentum to complete the rotation. You need enough lift to clear the rudder of the water. I have stripped a servo when the rudder was snatched in one directio violently during a flip when the rudder caught the waters surface.

I haven't ran the flat bottoms in a bit, (I've been into the step hulls lately). I think with the right set up and circumstances, this could be done intentional with success...possible even over and over.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
redbass79

Default RE: "Selph-Inflicted" Flat Bottom Video

that was awesome, i have never seen anything like that before. here are some pics that i took tonight of the airboat i am building out of my mini-quake 1/18th scale mini-monster truck, the electronics are the only thing from the truck. the hull is made of a very strong styrofoam material. the bottom may get metal flashing or some other tough material, let me know what you think. again that video was freaking awesome. makes me excited about trying this lil'guy out tomorrow. i don't know how fast it will go on the water but it does drive around the kitchen slowy but surely.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Thanks for the compliment! Thats a nice ride you got there!
Let us know how it does. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 PM
redbass79

well i tried out the airboat and after a few adjustments, it runs great. i think i should run a bigger prop, since the motor never slows down if the boat if moving or not. i have not glassed the poly yet not sure if i will, it seems pretty tough and even though it moves pretty fast (10-15) i don't think i will cause any major damage to the hull by driving it around here, made a video today if you would like to see it let me know and give me some pointers.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Your video needs to be hosted somewhere. This place will do it free. http://rcflix.com/

Email me with the video at [email protected]