Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

your epoxy coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
rpage83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your epoxy coatings?

Im having the toughest time trying to get an even and light coating of epoxy resin on my boat. How do you smooth yours out, or what do you use. Ive been using 5 minute epoxy. Im thinking that 30 minute would be best. Whats your advice?
Thanks Ryan
Old 04-08-2005, 12:10 PM
asmithnc

Default RE: your epoxy coatings?

Throw away the 5 and the 30 for glassing work. You are making it harder on your self using a fast curing epoxy. Do all your glassing work with finishing resin. Yes it takes a long time to dry but it saturates the glass cloth better and it is easier to smooth. Go to the paint dept at lowes and buy 10 2 inch paint brushes .99 cents each. Oops I gave away another secret.
http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/adhesive.html

This is the resin I use and it gives a chart on what type of epoxy for what job.
(tip) Finishing resin is the easiest to sand.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:13 PM
rpage83

Uh, thats kinda too late, Ive done a pore on the top. Can I use sand paper to get rid of it?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Use finishing resin and smooth it with playing cards as you go. Get a deck of cheap cards and use a clean edge each time. If a card loses flexibility because of dried epoxy throw it away and use a new one. You can get cheap decks with plastic coating at almost any variety store.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Selph-Inflicted

I like to use a 6" plastic putty knife to lay my resins with. It is a bit stiffer than a credit card or playing cards (although the cards do work, I prefer a stiffer tool). I get the putty knives at Wal-Mart for $0.88 for 3. You get a 6", 3", and a 1.5"
When your done laying your epoxy and before the resin sets, use lacquer thinner, acetone, or mineral spirits to clean your knife. You will have a brand new knife to use next time. That $0.88 goes a long ways.

Use a longer set resin. I would use nothng less than 1 hour epoxy or a finish resin for my glassing process. Also thin you epoxy with rubbing alcohol or acetone.

For a nice smooth finish. Use a longer set resin or finish resin also for the top coats. The longer set time will allow the epoxy to settle as a liquid...leaving a natural smooth finish.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Weside

i have a couple cracks in my haul...to repair them do i just put some finishing resign on it?....where can i find that finishin resign and how mcuh does it cost?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:42 PM
asmithnc

hobby shop